Posted at 5:19 PM ET, 11/ 4/2010

Police shooting in Fairfax

By Washington Post editors

Update, 7:50 p.m.:

Caldwell did not know how many times the man was shot. But he continued driving south on Graham Road, then turned right onto Route 50, where he either pulled over or was forced to stop.

The black Mercedes appeared to have at least two bullet holes in the front windshield, one in the driver's side window and another in the post between the front and rear driver side doors. Blue latex medical gloves and one black tennis shoe were on the ground outside the driver's door.
The man was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, and police did not think his wounds were life-threatening.

Caldwell said one officer and one pedestrian were slightly injured, but she did not have details.

Behind the stopped Mercedes on westbound Route 50, two black unmarked police sport-utility vehicles, both carrying police search dogs, had suffered severe front end damage. The Mercedes appeared to have been struck in the rear.

Update, 7:20 p.m.:

A man spotted in a stolen car in Fairfax County Thursday afternoon fled on foot, then climbed into a Fairfax police car, led a chase through Falls Church neighborhoods, somehow got back into the original stolen car and then was shot by Fairfax police.

The unidentified man is alive, police said. He continued to drive in the stolen Mercedes Benz until he was stopped on westbound Route 50 in front of Loehmann's Plaza.

Police were still trying to piece together the complicated sequence of events, which started at 4:35 p.m., police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said.

She said police spotted the stolen black Mercedes in the 2900 block of Westcott Street. When officers approached the Mercedes, a man inside fled on foot.

As officers were pursuing the man, he somehow circled around and climbed into one of their cars and took off, Caldwell said.

Police began pursuing their own stolen vehicle, Caldwell said, in what she called "a slow speed pursuit."

At some point, the man abandoned the police car and got back in the stolen Mercedes, Caldwell said. Still, the chase continued.

"There were several different places where we were trying to bring this vehicle to a stop," Caldwell said.

But at some point on Graham Road, north of Route 50, officers fired shots into the Mercedes, Caldwell said.

She did not know if the fleeing driver was armed or if he had fired at his pursuers. Caldwell did not know how many officers fired, whether they were in their cars, or why they fired.

Original Post:

Fairfax County police are investigating a shooting Thursday afternoon in which at least one officer apparently was involved. The shooting occurred near Loehmann's Plaza, on Route 50 [Arlington Boulevard] and Allen Street. Fairfax police did not have any further information about the incident.

-- Tom Jackman

By Washington Post editors  | November 4, 2010; 5:19 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. man sentenced for threats to mosque
Next: Man fatally shot in Prince George's

Comments

This was crazy! The police came from everywhere in police cars and undercover cars and SUVs. I was traveling west on Rt. 50 and I stopped at the Graham Rd. intersection because I could hear sirens coming from behind me and in front of me. Then several police cars sped and turned right in front of me. Then I could hear cars crashing behind. At first, I thought someone had hit me. Then, all of a sudden, I see this black Mercedes sedan come right past me heading west and all the police cars turn around and come back after him. Then I see two SUVs with their fenders hanging off all crashed up come right next to me. So then I proceeded through the intersection thinking they were long gone. They had the perpetrator spread eagle on the asphalt with SWAT team officers and their dogs. One officer came back and told us to cross the median and head east. So I did. I turned right into Loehmann's Plaza and u-turned on the service road to head west again. We finally got back going west on Rt. 50 and got to the stoplight at Jaguar Trail. When all of sudden, an ambulance, evidently with the perpetrator inside and with two police SUV escorts right behind, came flying by.

That was my commute. How was yours?!

Posted by: SMartin3 | November 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm being told two shots fired through the windshield. Perpetrator hit in chest and arm.

Posted by: SMartin3 | November 4, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

fire every cop involved for incompetence....except the cop that shot the perp.

the perp stole a cop car, then somehow managed to get back into the original stolen car...?.....fire them all!

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | November 4, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Good, nice to see Fairfax police stopping real crime instead of wasting time on silly small time bettors and naked people.

Lesson to would be criminals, steal cars in Maryland and DC.

Posted by: merganser | November 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

This sounds extremely strange...how in the @+*! does a person who's being pursued by the police commandeer a police vehicle and then go back and take off in the original stolen vehicle and then get shot....this is unbelievable.....I await the true story..

Posted by: Pstacy | November 4, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens when Faifax County police encounter real crime.

Posted by: slydell | November 5, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse