Posted at 6:57 AM ET, 01/14/2011

Ch. 4: 1 dead in Manassas shooting

By Washington Post Editor

WRC-TV (Channel 4) is reporting that one person was killed late Thursday in a double-shooting incident in Manassas. The other person was injured but survived.

The television station said it appeared that the two people involved in the shooting fired weapons at each other. Prince William County police did not immediately return phone calls Friday morning, and no additional information was available.

By Washington Post Editor  | January 14, 2011; 6:57 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fatal accident closes Canal Rd.
Next: 3 held in Pr. George's home invasion

Comments

Gunfight at the Manassas slum dwellings.

Posted by: jismquiff | January 14, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Thinning the herd.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 14, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It happened in Stonington - I know because I live there. We heard gunfire, but didn't know what it was until all the police and helicopters were in the area.

By the way, Stonington is not a slum; it's actually a pretty decent area. Most of the violence and criminal issues are from people who don't even live here, but hang out in the streets with friends. It's not what it used to be, but it's not a slum yet.

I think the bigger question is, how the heck are dumbasses continually getting a hold of weapons? Gotta love a country that gives you so much freedom that some people pay for it with their lives... I wish I lived in Japan again where I never once felt threatened.

Posted by: SaltaholicWM1 | January 14, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@SaltaholicWM1

Wish you still lived in Japan? Seems that if you really wish you lived in Japan, you would be living in Japan.

Posted by: lilCommonSensePlz | January 14, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@lilCommonSensePlz

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than just picking up and leaving my family, job, friends, and home. But if a few things were different, yes - I'd love to live in Japan again for the following reasons: much less crime (esp. violent crime), healthier lifestyles, a much bigger middle class, drastically better public transportation, lower taxes, better healthcare... it was tough living.

Posted by: SaltaholicWM1 | January 14, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

What is the African-American population in Japan? If you take away our military stationed there.

I heard that there was a time when even Japan's gangsters, the yakuza, didn't carry guns. Is that still the case?

Is there a country on the planet like the USA that has more guns than people?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 14, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@lilCommonSensePlz

I agree with SaltaholicWM1. There are probably a half dozen countries (mostly in Western Europe) that I'd prefer to live in for the very same reasons. I would add one additional reason: the population(s) are better educated. Then again, that may explain the larger middle classes.

Posted by: kjclark1963 | January 14, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

It may become necessary to repeal the 14th amendment and allow the 2nd amendment to revert to its "original intent" of pertaining only to property owning Whites.

Posted by: slim21 | January 14, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

What a country. Maybe I need to buy a bulletproof vest/body armour.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 14, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse