Posted at 6:47 AM ET, 10/22/2010

Woman killed in Chantilly

By Debbi Wilgoren

A woman was shot to death overnight in Chantilly during what investigators believe was a domestic dispute, Fairfax County police reported. The woman's husband, who was in the house when police arrived, was taken into custody.

Officer Bud Walker said police were called to a single-family home in the 13800 block of Rembrandt Way about 3 a.m. Friday for a report of a shooting. They found the woman dead inside the house, apparently from at least one gunshot wound.

Her husband was immediately taken into custody, Walker said.

Based on the preliminary police investigation, detectives believe the shooting stemmed from an argument between the man and the woman, Walker said. Neither of their names were released.

By Debbi Wilgoren  | October 22, 2010; 6:47 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2 Md. highway workers struck, killed by car
Next: Lori's A.M. Buzz: A day to say goodbye

Comments

Man, these Asian folks are just crazy!!!

Posted by: hogfarmer55 | October 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

But here goes:

"Rembrandt Way"? What a phoney-baloney name for what is probably an utterly nondescript and bland (and probably ugly) suburban street.

What an insult to the revolutionary Dutch genius.

So many people don't even know who the hell he is; for many, this kind of inane reference will be their first experience of what "Rembrandt" signifies.

In 2075 will these crass developers be naming their streets "Pollock Path" or "de Kooning Court"?

I almost prefer the pretentious Anglo-emulative names or the absurd nature-referencing monikers.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

what the heck does the name of the street have to do with someone being tragically murdered and if the victim was asian, again what are you two talking about?

Posted by: djlojak | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, my comment is more about the frustrating lack of context or meaning in the news item. It's also about escapism.

See my first sentence:
"I'm sorry, there's just too little information here for me to have a proper knee-jerk reaction to."

This report (like many news items) depersonalizes and dehumanizes everybody involved; there is little to say. Sadly, all kinds of numbing variations of this same scene are playing all over in America and everywhere is else. It's depressing as hell.

What can you say? What can you feel? What is the godd@mn point of anything?

D@mn, now I'm feeling depressed again.

Thanks, djlojac.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

And last -- but not least -- what can you do?

I've tried doing things to help people (e.g. via volunteering), but I am maddeningly ineffective at improving the world in any meaningful way.

I should stop punishing myself by reading the Metro section; it just reminds me of my utter powerlessness and worthlessness.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 22, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

FedUp,
You should try volunteering with some developmentally disabled folks.
It is some of the most rewarding time you'll ever spend.
They are so appreciative of the help they receive and you can truly see improvement in their lives.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | October 22, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I live in this neighborhood and it is actually nice. The couple have two sons. Whatever your point of street names, the mom was killed, the dad did it, now there are two children with no parents. I don't think I'll ever understand what goes through someone's mind before they actually take the life of someone, even less when the victim is their spouse and/or mother of their child(ren). There are easier ways to get out of a marriage, and they don't include killing.

Posted by: Sadandunneccessary | October 22, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse