Posted at 3:50 PM ET, 12/23/2010

Service held for slain D.C. shopkeeper

By Paul A. Schwartzman

Four hundred mourners Thursday memorialized a Brookland shopkeeper who was
shot to death during a robbery last weekend.

During a traditional Hindu service, Raj Patel was remembered as a devoted father and husband whose Newton Street Market was an integral part of the Northeast neighborhood.

Patel's wife Ramele and son Chirag sat in the first row at the service at a funeral home in Clinton, which drew relatives from as near as New Jersey and as far as India, from where Patel immigrated during the early 1990s.

The two gunmen who robbed the store last Saturday have not been apprehended, and police are offering up to $25,000 for information leading to their arrest.
newton.jpg
These men were videotaped by a surveillance camera in the Newton Food Market around the time that store manager Raj Patel was killed. (Metropolitan Police Department photos)

By Paul A. Schwartzman  | December 23, 2010; 3:50 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. buyer gets purse used on Fla. gunman
Next: Anteater, pup out of Zoo's hospital

Comments

Someone knows these thugs and I hope they turn them in soon. This is a real tragedy for everyone in the neighborhood.

Posted by: dcisajoke | December 23, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

My blood is boiling over looking at those photos.

Posted by: johng1 | December 23, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The D.C. forecast this weekend is: Dark and Cloudy with a Chance of Driveby.

Posted by: charlietuna6661 | December 23, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

My obese self, a teacher in PG County tells me these guys are Black,male and they are the reason I now love White Men good or bad. Do hope the black dude-thugs are caught and spanked real good by the cops.

Posted by: TheresaDudleyFat | December 23, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The fatter I get the more I dislike Blacks robbing places around these parts. Glad, to love the WHITESTUFF even though I is Black and inaccurate about the way it really is in DC and PGC.

Posted by: TheresaDudleyFat | December 23, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Even in the face of a terrible tragedy trash like you seems to appear, Ms. Dudley. The worse part is the Internet gives you the opportunity to offend even more people than you probably do on a daily basis.

We pray for the victim's family and that the killers are brought to justice.

Posted by: topryder1 | December 24, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse

this is a tragedy yes i agree, but TheresaDudleyFat you need to stop being a racist. its ignorant black people like YOU that do stuff like this! Im very black and i am doing great and so is my BLACK boyfriend. actually were african american you ignorant person.

Posted by: marieissooodior | December 24, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse