Posted at 10:39 AM ET, 08/10/2010

Six arrested in Rehoboth Beach attacks

By Washington Post editors

Rehoboth Beach police say they have arrested six teenagers in connection with a string of attacks and robberies at the south end of the boardwalk.

Officials say the sudden crime spree occurred between July 16 and Aug. 2 and included five assaults and robberies. Police say the victims were badly beaten in some cases.

Among those arrested were 19-year-old Dale Reed, and 18-year-olds Michail Brittingham and Shaun Houchens, all of Milton. A 17-year-old from Milton also was arrested, as were a 16-year-old from Lewes and a 15-year-old from Millsboro.

Authorities say they are still investigating.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | August 10, 2010; 10:39 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: HoCo deaths ruled murder-suicide
Next: Metro warned about "unspecified" threat

Comments

When did Metro open a station in Rehoboth?

Posted by: gth1 | August 10, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Crime happens everywhere...not just in the city.

Posted by: cpugh1 | August 10, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thugs! Let's see photos...there may be other victims out there.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | August 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

How many pillow biters were attacked?

Posted by: JadedCynic | August 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that our local papers here in Sussex County gave this story just a line item on their main pages. Yet it makes the "Breaking News" blog on the WaPo. What gives? Trying to scare folks away from one of our lovely beach towns - the Nation's Summer Capital, as it were.

And some people really, really need to get a life.

Posted by: PorthosAD | August 10, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The South end of the Boardwalk--around Hickman and Boardwalk? If I'm recalling correctly, that small stretch is poorly lit, and not used much. Perfect place for assaults, although I've been going to Rehoboth since 1964, and this is the 1st time I've ever heard of something like this happening. I'd like to know the time of day, and other pertinant circumstances. I'll be in Rehoboth next week. I've always felt safe there. The fact that this victims were badly beaten is troubling to say the least. And btw, why wouldn't this news item be featured in the WaPo? Rehoboth is full of Washingtonians all summer. Anybody have any additional info?

Posted by: arlingtonian6 | August 10, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

============================================
And the Cape Gazette for Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Milton and Dewey has it as one of its top news story with an 11 paragraph story.

Posted by: checkered1 | August 10, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlingtonian6 | August 10, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Considering the large gay population that frequents Rehoboth Beach I cannot help but wonder if these were hate crimes?

Posted by: kennman58 | August 10, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

For add'l on the crime which broke the case open, see the following:

I can only hope the full description of their attack (as well as the others they have committed) are read in front of the jury so the jury visualizes this attack.

Posted by: Disbelief | August 10, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

When did Metro open a station in Rehoboth?

Posted by: gth1 | August 10, 2010 11:40 AM | ------
They haven't, and since none of them are named Jaquan or Devonte, I'll assume they belong to the usual suspects who don't comment on these articles that involve people who look like them.

Posted by: case50 | August 10, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Rehoboth the beach where all the Homosexuals go to?

Posted by: AlbyVA | August 10, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Rehoboth the beach where all the Homosexuals go to?

Posted by: AlbyVA | August 10, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

WASTRELLS , WASTRELLS, WHAT A WASTE OF HUMANITY, THESE YOUNG THUGEES NET TO BE PUNISHED SEVERLY ,PUT THEM IN THE MARINES AND SHIP THEM OUT TO AFHGINISTAN

Posted by: DROMANVIBES | August 10, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

What's with the Post and it's refusal to describe the perpetrators of these crimes? First the metro riot and now these attacks. How are we supposed to protect ourselves if you refuse to tell us who these thugs are? Are we just to assume they're all black?

Posted by: JeffB-27 | August 10, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, these are the most accurate comments I've read in a long time. These people know what they're talking about. Good on ya, mates!

Posted by: crlchs1 | August 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

That's why I always carry pepper spray and a roll of nickels in my pockets. First punks that try to rob me are going to get a face full of pain, then I'm going to fracture some skulls and leave them bleeding.

Posted by: rgfox555 | August 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

case50 wrote: "...Since none of them are named Jaquan or Devonte..."

Sorry, but you are mistaken. Per the Cape Gazette, 6 suspects have now been arrested in connection with this string of robberies and assaults; they are Michael Brittingham, 18; Shaun Houchens, 18; Lepre Doughty, 17, Dale Reed, 19, Diandre Mapp, 16,& Tralon Bailey, 15, all of the greater Rehoboth/Sussex Co. area. On wgmd.com, photos of the fellows named Michael & Shaun are posted; per the photos, they definitely appear to be African-American.

No slurs intended here; merely clarifying the disputed facts. For anyone who is interested in knowing more about this series of crimes, I would recommend the other sources noted.

Posted by: nan_lynn | August 10, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

to Disbelief, thanks for the link,it has everything on there-hey WaPo, why didn't you give us the details?? Do you want your readers to be safe, or be assaulted?? And btw, the perps are black

Posted by: arlingtonian6 | August 10, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

more of the same, from the same source.

Posted by: gp11231 | August 11, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse