Posted at 5:16 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Man killed pushing car on BW Parkway

By Debbi Wilgoren

A man whose car apparently broke down on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway was killed early Friday, police said, struck by another vehicle as he pushed his own car down the highway.

The man was heading south on the parkway when the other vehicle approached him shortly after 1 a.m., said U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser. A tour bus that was also traveling south on the parkway had to swerve to avoid the accident scene, Schlosser said, and ended up stuck in the mud a short distance away.

The fatal collision happened between Routes 197 and 198, in the Laurel area, Schlosser said. Police closed the southbound lanes of the parkway to traffic for several hours while investigators reconstructed the scene. The road reopened shortly before 6 a.m.

Schlosser cautioned the public that it is extremely dangerous to try and move a disabled vehicle down a busy road, especially in the dark. If your vehicle breaks down, he said, "get off the roadway as far as possible, and call police."

By Debbi Wilgoren  | November 19, 2010; 5:16 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Several rescued from fire in NW D.C.
Next: Lori's A.M. Buzz: It's National Adoption Day

Comments

What a shame! Stop just reading and commenting on the news. Learn how you can solve the crimes at http://bit.ly/ctecjq

Posted by: lariviare19 | November 19, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Thinning the herd.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 19, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Lots of people push their cars when out of gas near an exit.

The BW has narrow lanes and shoulders; after dark that's just too dangerous.

Posted by: WmarkW | November 19, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry that some people die to their stupid decisions.

Posted by: HillRat | November 19, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

What a tragedy. In a situation like that, people often do not stop to ascertain all of the risks. It's so important to do so. Highways are just not appropriate places to walk!

Posted by: darrren12000 | November 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"Lots of people push their cars when out of gas near an exit.

The BW has narrow lanes and shoulders; after dark that's just too dangerous.
"

Yeah luckily it's safe to push your car on the BW parkway during the day, though.

Let me guess, this guy was Latino. Just a guess.

Posted by: chucklebuck | November 19, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Geico offers roadside assistance at a mere $2 every 6 months.

Posted by: phillydc | November 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thinning the herd.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 19, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

What does that have to do with what happened?

That was a bad decision, pull over and get help. GOD bless your family.

Posted by: bobby31 | November 19, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Thinning the herd.

Posted by: bs2004 | November 19, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

What does that have to do with what happened?

That was a bad decision, pull over and get help. GOD bless your family.

Posted by: bobby31 | November 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

How sad. This death has nothing to do with race. It was a man trying to move his car and maybe he thought he could get it to a better part of the shoulder. Some cars do stop in the middle of the road! Pehaps he was trying to save others from harm by trying to push his car. God Bless his family and friends who are left here in this cold world to deal with the loss and foolish comments of heartless readers!

Posted by: Ross65 | November 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ross65 | November 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes, maybe, just maybe his car brokedown in the lane, and he may have been trying to get out the way of others.

Very unfortunate and tragic for him and his family. One of my hopes is that his family and friends don't read some of the stupid and ignorant bloggers truly insensitive comments. (Shame).

Posted by: awfulexcuse1 | November 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Schlosser cautioned the public that it is extremely dangerous to try and move a disabled vehicle down a busy road, especially in the dark."

Does he think the guy is up at the gates of Heaven, saying "St. Peter, nobody ever told me it was dangerous...."?

Posted by: leonolip | November 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I see lots of people making excuses for the dead guy here. But the bottom line is he was unprepared for the situation. If he broke down in a travel lane and felt that someone else might get injured if they struck his stalled car, then the safest, most reasonable option would be to place flares behind the vehicle and a reflective triangle, and leave the hazard flashing if they still worked. If he had these emergency items available, he would not have felt the need to push his vehicle along the highway. If someone had come along and hit his stalled vehicle after he placed all those warning devices behind his car, he would not be at fault for the crash. Since he apparently did not have the proper emergency equipment, his only option to prevent someone else from getting hurt was to attempt to move the car out of the road. Unfortunately, this option got him killed.

Posted by: GreenMeansGo | November 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What an idiot. Did the car contain dope or other things he didn't want discovered??

Posted by: rpcv84 | November 19, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god! Have my fellow Texans moved to the DMV? Yes,this was probably not a bright thing to do, but REALLY! None of you offering comments regarding his race, his preparedness for such a thing or whether or not he had contraband in his car were there, were you?

Does it make you feel better to presume that you are that much smarter than someone else who suffered a tragic death, or even worse, that you are from a different race?

Grow up, people.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Quite a bit of extrapolation on this one...what appears to be a tragic accident is now an indictment of the Latino race and the implication that he was transporting drugs.
Obviously, attempting to push the car himself was a bad idea that resulted in his death. Pretty sure we could have deduced that all on our own without the helpful commentary.
Who cares if he's Latino, English, Dutch etc? He's equally dead regardless of his ethnic origin.
Was he carrying drugs? Really? Just because he was driving at night? Maybe he worked overtime at his regular job and was just coming home late?
Maybe he didn't have a cell phone to call for help? Maybe there wasn't much traffic due to the time of day and he thought getting the car off the road was important?
Bottom line...he's someone's son, brother, father etc. Be thankful he wasn't a member of your family or a friend.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | November 19, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Those of us who paid attention in Driver's Ed learned that this man was doing the right thing: moving his disabled vehicle off of the roadway. A curse awaits those of you speaking ill of him.

Posted by: CalmTruth | November 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

It is hilarious how people HIDE behind a computer screen and type GABARGE. I am willing to bet my LIFE, that not one of you so called Prince Georgian hating, racisit will speak one word of this nonsence to a person of color. So ahead and type all your slurs and feel like youe doing something ... I am abour ACTION not just words ...

Posted by: The_Queen_of_SPC | November 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

TO All of you that have posted comments about this tragedy. I know the family of this young man. And I pray that none of you insensitive souls ever know the pain that this mother is going through burying her child. I pray that none of you ever know the pain that she must be going through reading the comments that I see posted here today. It is sad to know the judgmental mindset of America nowadays. What happened to comforting the grieving, and concern for your fellow man. This young man would have been 24 in a couple of days,but instead of planning a birthday party she is planning his Funeral. To be taken from this world so soon is the saddest thing. May GOD have mercy on your soul

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 21, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 21, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 21, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

TO All of you that have posted comments about this tragedy. I know the family of this young man. And I pray that none of you insensitive souls ever know the pain that this mother is going through burying her child. I pray that none of you ever know the pain that she must be going through reading the comments that I see posted here today. It is sad to know the judgmental mindset of America nowadays. What happened to comforting the grieving, and concern for your fellow man. This young man would have been 24 in a couple of days,but instead of planning a birthday party His mother is planning his Funeral. To be taken from this world so soon is the saddest thing. May GOD have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 21, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 21, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 22, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 22, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

TO All of you that have posted these senseless and insensitive comments about this tragedy. I know the Mother of this young man. This Mother is a Nurse who may have been there to care for your family. This mother is a woman who has lost her only son! And I pray that none of you insensitive souls ever know the pain that this mother is going through burying her child. I pray that none of you ever know the pain that she must be going through reading the comments that I see posted here today. It is sad to know the judgmental mindset of America nowadays. What ever happened to the comforting of the grieving, and concern for your fellow man. This young man would have been 24 years old in a couple of days, but instead of planning a birthday party, His mother is planning his Funeral. Who knows the reason why he was pushing his car off the highway. It wasn't to hide anything thats for sure. I hope your family doesnt make the news to be ridiculed this way. To be taken from this world so soon is the saddest thing in this tragedy. Whats even sadder is the entertainment it seems that many of you have from anothers family's pain. May GOD have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: silverfox517 | November 22, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse