Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 01/19/2011

D.C. jail will fingerprint visitors

By Washington Post editors

Starting in March, all visitors to the D.C. jail will have their fingerprints scanned and checked against law enforcement databases for outstanding warrants, the Washington Examiner reports.

If a match is made, DOC will detain the visitor and contact the police department and the visitor will be taken into custody. The jail currently only requires that visitors present a valid identification, and names of visitors are not checked against outstanding warrants.

Read more about plans to fingerprint all visitors to the D.C. jail in the Washington Examiner.

By Washington Post editors  | January 19, 2011; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mystery Poe toaster fails to show again
Next: What do you call your stepfamily?

Comments

Is this legal? No warrants? What happened to the 4th amendment? America is sliding down a slippery slope.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 19, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm expecting the ACLU to jump right into this with both feet...I'm not a lawyer but this stinks of a rights violation of the highest order...

If I were going there to visit a loved one I would be highly insulted to be subject to this...

Don't expect this procedure to get off the ground...

Posted by: pentagon40 | January 19, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

jckdoors - Visiting a jail is not a right. Many of these "visitors" probably have active warrants for their arrest.

Posted by: madmike272 | January 19, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

And secondly is this procedure in effect at any other jail or prison??? If so I have never heard about it...

Being a retired DC Corr. officer it seems the department would concentrate more on stopping contraband from being introduced into the jail like CELLPHONES...by correctional and support staff...this type of entry has been going on for decades as any employee will tell you...

And anyone with any type of outstanding warrant who would go to the jail deserves to be caught...You know if you have a warrant out for you!!!!!!

Posted by: pentagon40 | January 19, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Well the jail won't have to worry about a lot of visit now with this little process here. I guess the inmates will have to show off their writing skills now.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | January 19, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I smell easy money on a lawsuit!

Posted by: civilrightist | January 19, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

That has GOT to be illegal. What next? Stops in the street to check for warrants? B.S. Someone challenge this one quickly!

Posted by: stinkyliberals | January 19, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I think it is a brilliant idea... it's called thinning the herd and getting criminals off our street. if you have nothing to hide and your a law abiding citizen, then this should not bother you if your visiting someone in jail. Nuff said!

Posted by: rvanags | January 19, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

As no one has a right to visit a jail I can see the District saying 'If someone doesn't want to have their fingerprints taken they shouldn't visit the jail'. Of course the ACLU will sue.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | January 19, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

After fingerprints are taken, they'll find that half of the visitors have outstanding warrants.

"Please leave your firearm/s with the officer."

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 19, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

if it stands, visits will fall, incarceration will rise, and money saved not chasing and finding those on the lam...
ugly, but effective! and, may slow contriband by discouraging visits.

Posted by: mloaks | January 19, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess Man-Man wont be visiting Pookie anymore!

Posted by: kdukes1 | January 19, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I guess Man-Man wont be visiting Pookie anymore!

Posted by: kdukes1 | January 19, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess Man-Man wont be visiting Pookie anymore!

Posted by: kdukes1 | January 19, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

madmike 272 said "Visiting a jail is not a right." neither is getting a drivers license so I guess MM wouldn't mind getting fingerprinted when he renews his drivers license?

Posted by: crete | January 19, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

You will have to consent to be finger printed; no one is going to force-ably obtain a finger-print from you. No consent = no finger print, no entry, no arrest. This as far as i can tell is perfectly legal. This is no different from the police lottery sting! They send people with outstanding warrants notices that they've won the lottery; when the people show up, they are arrested! If that passes legal muster, how is the world doesn't this???

Posted by: VoiceofReason77 | January 19, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@rvanags "if you have nothing to hide and your a law abiding citizen, then this should not bother you if your visiting someone in jail. Nuff said!"

What a naive statement. That's the same thing the Gestapo said.

Posted by: holykemp | January 19, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

they should do the same for welfare benifits

Posted by: WhatBubble | January 19, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

they should do the same for welfare benifits

Posted by: WhatBubble | January 19, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

To visit a jail when you have an active warrant for your arrest takes some balls (and a corresponding deficit in brains). On the other hand, it might save DC some money if they could just arraign them on the premises and send them right to their new cell!

F*** the ACLU. I hope they sue and lose---burning through more of their budget and their reputation for competence (since ACLU has little of either).

Posted by: IncredulousAsEver | January 19, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

That's one way to stop 90% of the visitors...

Posted by: bumnthsun | January 19, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

a lot of people will stop visting the jail, if u dont have any warrents whats the issue wit them scanning ur figerprint

Posted by: JeroRobson1 | January 19, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

rvanag, I like the way you think. If you're a law abiding citizen with nothing to hide you won't mind if the police stop you for no reason and search your car and pat you down will you? You won't mind if they knock on your door at 3 a.m. to make sure you don't have any contraband do you? If you want to give up rights that you inherited go for it, but you can leave me out of it. If you've got nothing to hide you've still got rights to some degree, but with people like you willling to give them up like their trinkets I guess they'll continue to erode.

Posted by: red2million | January 19, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@red2million - As part of the condition to fly on a plane, you provide identification, they search your bags and x-ray your body BEFORE you board a plane...no?

I'm 110% sure they search you and ask for identification BEFORE you walk into the local jail and visit a criminal...no?

Posted by: bumnthsun | January 19, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

CAN YOU SAY POLICE STATE!!!!! The jails are overcrowded as it is and now they want to pull this sh_t. The P.I.C.(prison industrial complex)mo money, mo money, mo money!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 19, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Long-suffering mothers showing up to see their idiot sons.

"When are you gonna stop this foolishness, son? I can't keep on bailing you out. One day you're gonna get killed. Whe don't you get a job? I hear so-and-so is hiring."

"Dag, Moms. I tried working a job for two weeks back in 2000. Boss telling me what to do. Working 15 minutes straight without a break. It ain't my thing. I like running with my homies. If we want something we take it: money, drugs, hoochies, cars, etc. So what if I get shot next week. You best not come down her again, Moms."

Moms silently stares at the floor. Sighs. Grabs her grandchildren (she's taking care of them now) and heads for the door.

REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 19, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

The jails/prisons should be full of violent offenders not drug addicts. People who are a definite threat to society. Murderers, rapists, child molesters, kidnappers, etc.

Junkies should be in a rehab program - locked up so they can't leave until they have kicked it. No excuses.

But don't pretend that "young brothers" are in prison because the cops busted them for jaywalking, double parking & overdue library books. Sure some may be innocent. I hope DNA leads to their release.

But lets get real. Stop making these criminals out to be misunderstood, angelic gentleman who are being unfairly persecuted by police & the judicial system.

They do it to themselves. They have created their own destiny. Their life behind bars is of their making. No tears from me.

I didn't force them to be a criminal. Did you?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 19, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

But lets get real. Stop making these criminals out to be misunderstood, angelic gentlemen who are being unfairly persecuted by police & the judicial system. Oh, the horror, the horror...

Do you cry for the white thugs as well as the young bruthas? I doubt it.

Looks, these tough guys do it to themselves. They have created their own destiny. Their life behind bars is of their making. No tears from me.

I didn't force them to be a criminal. Did you?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | January 19, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

To red2million

If the police stop you in your car for a traffic infraction they might ask you the stupid 'do you have anything illegal in the car?. You can reply no and they can then ask you if they can search your car. You can say no and the officer can not search your car. What usually happens is the police office assumes you have something to hide. Why else would you not allow him to search your car? Oh, the Constitution addmenment against unwarrented searches? Just an annoyance.

As far as searching your house let me give you a personal example. A friend of mine was drinking a beer in public in front of his house when a police car drove past. The police saw him and stopped their car and got out. My friend saw them and went in his house toi put the beer down. The police officers went to his door and asked him to step outside to answer some questions. My friend was just inside the doorway easily within reach of the officers. It was only when he stepped out of his house did the officers arrest him. They couldn't touch him as long as he was in his house.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | January 19, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

As I see this as a brilliant move because birds of a feather generally do flock together, I doubt this will stand. This is a surprising move for such a liberal city.

Posted by: Jsuf | January 19, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse