Posted at 4:42 PM ET, 11/14/2010

Police: Teen stabbed at mall

By The Associated Press

Anne Arundel County police have charged three people after a teen was stabbed during a fight in Arundel Mills Mall.

Officers patrolling the mall were called to the food court Saturday evening for a report of a fight and found an 18-year-old man had been stabbed.

The teen was taken to Shock Trauma, where police say he was treated for a stab wound to the back and released.

Police have charged 20-year-old Deandre Simms of Columbia and a person identified only as a juvenile with assault and disorderly conduct. They have also charged a 17-year-old boy from Columbia with assault and reckless endangerment.

Investigators don't yet know what led to the fight.

By The Associated Press  | November 14, 2010; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teen charged in pizza shop slaying
Next: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Big bucks in higher ed

Comments

Call me crazy but when you stab someone... isn't that attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon ???? I know that I am a lil rusty on my MD laws here ?? Just asking.

Posted by: rvanags | November 14, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Those aged 18-19 are also adults and not "teens" meaning they shouldn't be called that word. The person who typed the story, by the Associated Press, are ageist for calling the young man stabbed a "teen". The person who typed the title for the article is also ageist for calling the young man stabbed a "teen". The article should've been titled "Police: Young man stabbed at mall." It's good that the young man and boy have been charged for contributing to the stabbing.

Posted by: LibertyForAll | November 14, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

With crimes like these no wonder there is a huge demand for Criminal Justice professionals get your professional criminal justice degree http://bit.ly/ctecjq

Posted by: karenliel15 | November 15, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

"Investigators don't yet know what led to the fight."

Let me try my hand at guessing the cause(s):

1. He disrespected me.
2. He looked at my girl the wrong way.
3. He said something (which I only half-heard) that didn't sound no good.
4. He disrespected me.

Surely, I've missed other "good" reasons why someone like Mr. Deandre Simms would stab someone in the back.

Posted by: williamhuxtan | November 15, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

This is the "family-oriented" atmosphere the "No Slots at the Mall" crowd wanted to protect at Arundel Mills, eh?

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | November 15, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Ha,ha - you beat me to the comment about slots at the mall!!-just more of a healthy family oriented atmosphere for AA co residents to 'enjoy' along with the 'wildlife'! All the gamblers will soon be clogging up the BW parkway!

Posted by: 10bestfan | November 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Stabbed someone in the back. Could it be the reason for the "fight" was that this "teen" is just another "disadvantaged, misunderstood, poor youth with no father figure and a dysfunctional homelife"? No, my bet is he's just another tax payer supported waste with a two hundred dollar coat, a new pair of Jordans (one pair for each day of the week) a three hundred dollar phone, and a seventy dollar hat. This little coddled case FELT like stabbing someone. It was just a matter of time.

Posted by: stopthemadness | November 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stopthemadness | November 15, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

They shouldn't have never put those bus routes/shuttles that go into the surrounding neighborhoods and drop kids off at that mall. Seems like the problems started at that mall once that service was instituted. Just a shame though, we didn't act and carry on like this when we were younger, these parents need to get with it with their children.

Posted by: lulu202 | November 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure, but I think it has something to do with blade size. I imagine a pocket knife is considered more to maime, then anything else...

Posted by: charle211 | November 15, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse