Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 05/24/2010

Trooper breaks leg, makes arrest

By Washington Post editors

Maryland State Police say a trooper who broke his leg during a foot chase still managed to make the arrest.

Trooper First Class Jeremy Tindal stopped a car Sunday evening for allegedly speeding on Interstate 270.

Police say that when 22-year-old passenger Daniel Famulare of Darnestown acted suspiciously, Tindal ordered him out for a pat-down.

Police say a plastic bag of drug paraphernalia fell from Famulare's pant leg and he took off running.

During a chase down an embankment, Tindal felt something pop in his left leg but managed to pull Famulare to the ground by his shirt.

Famulare was charged with drug offenses and resisting arrest. He remained behind bars Monday morning with bond set at $5,500.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | May 24, 2010; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland  | Tags:  Frederick Maryland, broken leg, maryland state police, maryland state trooper
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "Bruno" lawsuit filed in D.C. court
Next: D.C. running low on free condoms

Comments

Another victory in the drug war. Hooray!

God Bless America, where at least I know I'm free ... to be searched at will by the police because I look "suspicious."

Posted by: kcx7 | May 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, the next time I'm on 270 I'll be sure to not act suspicious, because I don't want to get plucked out of my car for a "pat down" and get my leg broke in the process.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone who comments here actually read the story?

Posted by: gpl2411 | May 24, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

whole story sounds fishy, starting from this "pat-down" on "suspicion".

There are limits to the police's ability to search drivers. They can't just order you out of your car "on suspicion" for a "pat-down".

Of course they can arrest you and *then* pat you down but that's a different story.

Posted by: dubya1938 | May 25, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

No, they SEARCH you after an arrest. And yes they can order you out and pat you down.

Posted by: gpl2411 | May 25, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse