Posted at 11:14 AM ET, 11/29/2010

Va. boy killed in hunting accident

By Washington Post editors

A 10-year-old boy shot and killed his 7-year-old brother Saturday in a hunting accident near Wingina in Nelson County, according to officials, The Daily Progress reports.

The boys were accompanied by their father on private land when, at about 4 p.m., the 7-year-old shot at a deer with a pellet gun, missing it, according to Julia Dixon, a spokeswoman for the state’s Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. The 10-year-old tried to follow up with the .410 shotgun he was carrying, but as he raised the gun, his brother ran into the line of fire, according to a statement from Dixon.

Read more about the hunting accident in The Daily Progress.

By Washington Post editors  | November 29, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. restricts masked protesters
Next: Md. infant death under investigation

Comments

This is really sad because neither of these boys should have been there in the first place. A pellet gun and a .410 shotgun will not kill a deer. Dad should have been more concerned about keeping the boys in a safe spot and not letting them play.

Posted by: buffysummers | November 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

In my opinion kids should not be shooting guns any way.

Posted by: dbarnes1 | November 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion kids should not be shooting guns any way.

Posted by: dbarnes1 | November 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion kids should not be shooting guns any way.

Posted by: dbarnes1 | November 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion kids should not be shooting guns any way.

Posted by: dbarnes1 | November 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

to buffy, you are wrong a .410 shotgun will kill a deer. I dont have all the information about how these kids were trained to handle firearms but i started accompanying my my father on hunting trips at age 10 and started carrying a shotgun at age 13 and have not injured myself or anyone else.

Posted by: jcrawford160 | November 29, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcrawford160 | November 29, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess a well trained shooter could kill a deer with a head shot from a 410 slug at close range, but I highly doubt that was the skill level of the child. In my opinion, the one son play hunting with the pellet gun while the other one had a real gun was a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: buffysummers | November 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

that old saying is true: you really do reap what you sow.. sad.

Posted by: Just_An_Observer | November 29, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

This was an accident completely avoidable with more care by the father. Completely irresponsible to put his young sons in this position where one can run through the crossfire of the other. Very sad.

Posted by: NumeroUnoHombre | November 29, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Dad should have his head examined......and his fitness to parent investigated. Seven and ten-year old children lack the cognitive ability to understand the dangers and consequences of handling firearms.

Posted by: Frustratededucator | November 29, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

This was not an accident, it was a case of poor judgement by the father.

Posted by: localgoober | November 29, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

This was not an accident, it was a case of poor judgement by the father.

Posted by: localgoober | November 29, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

buffysummers - have you ever hunted?

Frustratededucator wrote:
"Seven and ten-year old children lack the cognitive ability to understand..."

That sounds like the excuse often used by teachers for why their students don't learn rather than it being their teaching ability.

NumeroUnoHombre - This was an accident. No different if the kid ran into the street to get a ball and was hit by a car and killed.

Posted by: ahashburn | November 30, 2010 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Tragic accident. I believe you can kill a deer with a shotgun -- using buck shot.

Posted by: blasmaic | November 30, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

With respect to whether or not you can kill a deer with a shotgun: at least we now know you can kill a child with that gun, don't we? So what does the deer matter.

Posted by: mbrumble | November 30, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbrumble | November 30, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I bet someone's gonna be in the doghouse for quite a long time!

Posted by: matt_s | November 30, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | November 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, 7 yr old has no business being out there hunting... if the dad was teaching them then he should not have had a gun or hunting himself and focused all of his attention on those two.... it is a very sad accident nonetheless

Posted by: rvanags | November 30, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

if only they were all just out there taking photographs of deer, and enjoying the time together as a family outdoors. It's 2010 already. Humans in North American no longer have to hunt in packs to kill other animals for food.

Posted by: MarilynManson | November 30, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the young boy who shot his brother. It will be hard to live with that. When I was in high school, my friend's brother (16) shot her younger brother (7) while at a friend's house. The friend hunted with his father and had a loaded gun in his bedroom. Both families were devastated.

Posted by: WickedRose | November 30, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse