Posted at 3:59 PM ET, 04/ 5/2010

Will Fenty attend victims' funerals?

By Washington Post editors

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) may attend the funerals of the four people shot last week in Southeast, the D.C. Wire reports.

Mafara Hobson, a Fenty spokeswoman, did not immediately respond to questions about the mayor's plans. But sources say Fenty wants to attend the funerals of 16-year-old Brishell Jones, Tavon Nelson, 17, DaVaughn Boyd, 18, and William Jones III, 19.

Two men and a 14-year-old boy have been arrested in the killings.

By Washington Post editors  | April 5, 2010; 3:59 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: South Capitol Street reopens
Next: HoCo exec home following surgery

Comments

Mayor Fenty doesn't like to do funerals they tend to be in held in the houses of GOD and there is too much time for personal reflections, besides he would rather be taking in a wizards game.

Posted by: KwameFan | April 6, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

KwameFan, Fenty is an Atheist and he doesn't believe in God.

Posted by: ConservativeDemocrat | April 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

FENTLY IS TOO BUSY WITH HIS PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM. HE'S UP EARLY JOGGING AROUND THE NEIGBORHOOD. IT'S NOT THE BODY THAT'S OUT OF SHAPE,IT'S THE MIND. IF HE SHOWS UP IT WILL BE FOR SHOW. I BET MY FAVORITE MAYOR WILL BE THER "PLAYER MARION BARRY"; THE ONE AND ONLY. WILL THE GOVERMENT ASSIST THE
FAMILY WITH FUNERAL EXPENSES? THAT'S WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED. FENTLY BEING THERE WILL ONLY DISTURB MATTERS. I KNOW HE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE KILLINGS; BUT I WOULD STAY AT HOME. HE DOES'NT SPEED TIME IN WARD 8 ANYWAY. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE LEAVE THAT UGLY BLACK FUNERAL DIRECTOR'S HAT HOME. IT DOES NOT LOOK MR. MAYOR...

Posted by: rawdiamond61 | April 6, 2010 5:49 AM | Report abuse

If it were a funeral for one of my family or friends, I wouldn't want politicians to attend and by their presence turn it into a publicity event. I really think it is foolish to expect or require politicians to attend people's funerals, even if the deceased became so in a sensational crime, etc. Let people grieve, and leave the politicians out of it. (I don't know why Fenty seems to be the one receiving all this pressure anyway. I don't live in D.C. and therefore have to stake in this, but it seems bizarre. Is it supposed to be some test to see if he believes in God or has any human emotions? Get over it! Let him be the mayor and let the deceased families grieve undisturbed.)

Posted by: dorofacol | April 6, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse