Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:24 PM ET, 04/19/2010

Child may have sparked D.C. fire

By Erica Johnston

A house in Southeast Washington was heavily damaged Monday evening by a fire that was apparently touched off by a child playing with a cigarette lighter, a D.C. fire department spokesman said.

The fire broke out around 7 p.m. in the 5800 block of Southern Avenue SE, and caused “pretty significant” damage, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. fire and emergency medical services department.

One firefighter suffered minor facial burns in extinguishing the fire, he said.
Piringer said investigators believe a child accidentally ignited a belt, which set a bed on fire. That caused the entire room to catch fire, he said.

-- Martin Weil


By Erica Johnston  | April 19, 2010; 11:24 PM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: District teacher kidnapped in city
Next: Civil rights leader Dorothy I. Height dies

Comments

wow......

Posted by: mztina608 | April 20, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company