Posted at 11:06 AM ET, 10/ 3/2010

1 killed, 1 wounded in D.C. shooting

By Matt Zapotosky

One person was killed and another wounded early Sunday morning in a shooting just north of Howard University, police said.

The incident occurred about 1 a.m. in the 600 block of Harvard Street NW, police said. One of the people shot was killed; the other was transported to a hospital, treated and released.

No other information was immediately available.

--Matt Zapotosky

By Matt Zapotosky  | October 3, 2010; 11:06 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weak earthquake north of Richmond
Next: Male robbed on U-Md campus

Comments

I moved into my apartment a month ago and already there has been two shootings. first on Gresham street and now on Harvard street. I am very concerned because this incident occurred right in front of my house. I am a Howard university student and am very concerned. Against popular belief when you hear of Hobart place you automatically think its a dangerous street but its far from it. Apart from the occasional noisy "crack head" it is a very peaceful street up until the weekend when the house parties begin. There is a house on Harvard street called "swag house" throws house parties on Friday's and Saturday's for the Howard students. These parties ultimately attract the locals who don't want to pay to get into this house parties and are offended when they are told they can't get in or even act very crazy after a lot of cheap liquor has been consumed. They intimidate the house students, harass the girls and any alteration leads to them shooting or a huge brawl. My solution to this problem is the complete shotting down of "swag house" because it is impossible to stop the locals from coming. I forgot to mention the entrance to the "Swag House" is in the alley which make it even more dangerous. Incidents like this can be eradicated simply by shotting down "Swag House".

Posted by: tola_28 | October 3, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tola_28 | October 3, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

That area still has a lot of dangerous elements who roam around. Columbia Heights was a hot neighborhood and people were paying $500K for condos there. That area still has a lot of projects and low-lives. It is the ghetto. To students around there, I would advise trying to have party's on campus where these type of riff-raff will not menace students.

Posted by: jab00 | October 3, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

For the safety of student, admission to house parties should be tightly controlled. Simply ask for a college or university IDs from anyone attempting to join the party. BTW: UDC should not not regarded as a college or university. but rather as a remedial high school.

Posted by: wagtdn | October 3, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

For the safety of student, admission to house parties should be tightly controlled. Simply ask for college or university IDs from anyone attempting to join the party. BTW: UDC should not not regarded as a college or university, but rather as a remedial high school.

Posted by: wagtdn | October 3, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

DC stands for Dodge City. It is a dangerous place.

To tole-28 - people should not be charging a cover for house parties. It is illegal. Notify the police the next time it happens.

Posted by: loved1 | October 4, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

This area Columbia Heights is far more safer than it was 10 years ago. Major, major change. As for the HU students. You attract by the way you act. I notice many HU students acting like ghetto wanna be gangta. You act ghetto and the ghetto will come. Check yourself Bisons, you are not carrying yourself correct based on this Swagg House. As far as charging admission.....no problem. In the past, people in the hoods threw rent parties. Students threw waistline parties (10 cents an inch). So I have no problem with charging a fee, but if it is a regular weekend thang then you are an "Illegal Club" and you will be arrested and shut down. So Bisons...you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Posted by: vonflem | October 4, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse