Posted at 7:50 PM ET, 06/23/2010

6-year-old drowns in NE D.C. public pool

By Washington Post editors

Update, 7:45 p.m.:

A D.C. police spokesman says the 6-year-old girl who was pulled from a public pool in Northeast Washington this afternoon has died.

Thursday night, police conducted interviews at the Turkey Thicket Recreation Center, hoping to find out exactly what happened. Further details were not immediately available.

Earlier:

A 6-year-old girl has been taken to a hospital after a near-drowning at the Turkey Thicket Recreation Center in Northeast Washington, fire officials said.

Fire officials were called to the center at 1100 Michigan Ave. NE about 2:15 p.m. They found bystanders performing CPR on the girl, who had been pulled from the pool, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for D.C. Fire and EMS. Family members were with her, he said.

The girl was taken to Children’s Hospital about 2:35 p.m., where she is being treated, Piringer said.

-- Stephanie Lee

By Washington Post editors  | June 23, 2010; 7:50 PM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Feel the earth move under your feet?
Next: Escaped prisoner is captured

Comments

I've been to that pool. I find the lifeguards quite attentive, and I am sure they did the best they could.

The problem is parents -- er, single moms, who will come with their and their neighbors kids, and let them play in the pool on their own while they sit on the bleachers in street clothes chatting with Moesha or Alberta on their cell phones about the most trifling things.

Parents need to parent their kids.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | June 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@RepealObamacareNow, those points may be valid in some cases. We don't know if those points are valid in this case.

A little more compassion would be appropriate for the moment.

Posted by: mamaspearl | June 23, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I Was There When It Happened..
&&I've Heard She's Dead Now.

Posted by: stella200612 | June 23, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Well if it did not happen in this case it does happen every day. EVERY DAY! Check the video. They have cameras.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | June 23, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

ummmmmm, where was her mom, her dad, or her caretaker when this happened?

Posted by: potomacfever00 | June 23, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many lifeguards were on duty at the time. Also, why would a six year old allowed to jump off the diving board into the 12 feet deep water, without having done a lap test to prove swimming ability?

Posted by: AremDoubleu | June 23, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

@repealobamacarenow I know that Turkey Thicket is a predominatly black pool but using the names Moesha and Alberta was out of line. Also how do you know that it is trifling? You're obviously not paying attention when you visit that rec center because you seem to know who people are talking to on their cell phones, and that the subject is trifling. Very ignorant comment...

Posted by: kelzdagreat16 | June 23, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Another real tragedy here is the folks who stood by and watched the whole thing happen. There's a witness talking to FOX5 who claims she watched the whole thing happen - including the "5 minutes" the child was under water. Where was she? Did she think to alarm someone?

Posted by: wrathofmugen | June 23, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I pray the family who lost their little girl yesterday. @repealobamacare...such insensitive remarks for this situation. We need to come up with ways to encourage children, mothers, and fathers of all ages to learn how to swim and understand the importance of water safety. Swimming is a survival skill. Again, I pray for the family of this child, and hope that our DC families will take the initiative to learn to swim and practice pool safety whenever they visit an aquatics center.

Posted by: secret8 | June 24, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@Repealobama care...insensitive remarks. More compassion is appropriate after an innocent child has lost her life. I pray for her family and friends. Swimming is a survival skill. I hope families in DC take the initiative to learn how to swim (no matter what age), and practice water safety at any aquatic center. Lifeguards and patrons work together to make the pool safe.

Posted by: secret8 | June 24, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

To whoever the Hell you are Repealobamacarenow and potomacfever00 you all were not there and to start blaming someone is what is trifling you dont know what the hell went on at the pool and no her mother wasnt sitting on the side in her street clothes talking to Alberta that plobably was your mother sitting watching the whole damn thing talking to Albert or whoever you said. That was my god daughter and my Family and thats who im worried about!!! You people are so sad always starting something this was a sad situation that shouldnt have happened but only God knows why It did. Signed Ms.Bellamy god mother to the deceased and sister to the mother.!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: shawannb | June 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@shawannb I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. If you see my previous comment above I feel the same way you did about what repealobamacarenow said. Whom ever that blogger is he is very ignorant. Once again sorry for your loss.

Posted by: kelzdagreat16 | June 25, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@shawannb I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. If you see my previous comment above I feel the same way you did about what repealobamacarenow said. Whom ever that blogger is they are very ignorant. Once again sorry for your loss.

Posted by: kelzdagreat16 | June 25, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse