Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 06/ 5/2010

Bicyclist hit by 2 cars dies

By Washington Post Editors

A bicyclist was killed late Friday in Southeast Washington when he was struck by two vehicles, D.C. police say.

About 10:45 p.m., the male cyclist traveling, southwest in the 1400 block of Southern Avenue SE, was struck by a 2004 Chevy Suburban, said Officer Eric Frost, a police spokesman. The driver remained at the scene.

The victim was then struck by a second car -- a dark blue compact -- occupied by three people, police said. The second car drove off, and an eyewitness flagged down an ambulance, police said.

DATABASE: 2008 Bike death statistics | More databases

Asked whether the cyclist could have been alive after the first impact, Frost said, “We don't know. … They can't say whether the second car definitively caused death or not.” Frost described the location as a “dark area, and at that time it's not heavily traveled.” He said the length of time between the two cars striking the victim was not known.

The victim was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center and pronounced dead at 11:38 p.m., police said. The driver of the first car was not injured and was questioned but not charged, police said.

-- Jonathan Mummolo

By Washington Post Editors  | June 5, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 911 call of Tara O'Malley incident released
Next: Kenilworth Avenue NE cleared

Comments

Posted by: GaryEMasters | June 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Bicycles do seem to irritate the SUV drivers. So they kill them. And the smaller cars copy.

Posted by: GaryEMasters"

What a stupid statement.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 5, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Very sad about the death of another bicyclist. And on a broader level, the person in the Chevy Suburban was probably driving alone and could have been driving something more bicycle-friendly, like a Smart Car or a Mini, with less dire consequences on the environment and perhaps on the bicyclist.

Posted by: sosberg | June 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The cyclist was probably wearing all black clothing at 10:45 p.m. "in a dark area". If the incident involved a "Smart Car or a Mini" there would have been multiple fatalities. "Bicycle friendly"? Not even a pebble is bicycle friendly.

Posted by: photog | June 5, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

sosberg - Who dies and put you in charge of telling anyone what to or not to drive. Jesus H. Christ! Damned group huggers!

Posted by: madmike272 | June 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

this was my cousin and i love and miss him very much

Posted by: williamskellyj | June 5, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry for your loss, williamskelly.
Did they catch the compact car driver who fled the scene?

Posted by: sk_in_dc | June 5, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

"williamskelly", I an very sorry for your loss. I know your family and frieds of your cousin are grieving and there are few words one can say to alleviate the pain of such a sudden and tragic loss.

Posters, please consider your comments and how your careless and thoughtless words hurt family members and friends who may visit this board.

Posted by: Ross65 | June 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ross65 | June 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Another awful bicycle tragedy. My heart goes out to the cyclist's family.

I don't know enough about the facts of this particular incident to speculate but I wonder if a good bit of the responsibility for that increase in bicyclists being hit can't be laid at the feet of Feckless Fenty and his DOT director, Gabe "Hot Dog cart" Klein for rushing new policies encouraging bicycling without adequate study of safety and general transportation impact.

Of course, Fenty is more secure as he rides a bicycle since he is accompanied by a taxpayer-paid security detail (using, I believe, Federal homeland security funds of all things when they should go to protecting the city from terrorism)--the rest of us don't have that advantage.

For the safety of all, 1. cyclists need to pass a bicyclist's permit examination similar to that for auto operators. (And, yes, the test for auto operators needs to be revised to encourage a higher awareness of safety issues relating to bicyclists.) 2.cyclists need to be required to register their bicycles with the city; and 3. cyclists need to carry insurance.

And bicycle lanes need to be laid out appropriately. Under the rushed Fenty-Klein plan they aren't. And bicyclists aren't safe as a result.

Posted by: smartheart | June 5, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Even with bicycle lanes, we knwo how suck@ss self centered DC area drivers are.
Heck even pedestrians in crosswalks get run over by those craazies.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 6, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

"Fact of the matter is, ppl don't care what the rules of the road are in this area & as a consequence, tragedies whether on 2 wheels or 4 happens everyday."

Yeah, and a lot of those that don't know and don't care about the rules are cyclists.

Posted by: BEEPEE | June 6, 2010 3:35 AM | Report abuse

sosberg - why should we just assume that williamskelly is telling the truth when they say they are related to the cyclist?

Posted by: ahashburn | June 6, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

This is another sad day for the family of the victim, my thoughts are with their family and friends.

@smartheart, it shouldn't matter what infrastructure the Mayor and DDOT are implementing. There are rules of the road, and in this case, the first one is that cars and bikes share the road. We don't know what happened here, but new bike lanes and other infrastructure cannot be blamed for anyone's injury or death.

Posted by: LukasWP | June 6, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I live in the 1300 block of Southern Ave and I can tell you first hand about the area. In the 1300 block there is a subway station and the area is well lit. Once you go past this area there is a mile of tree lined street with very little street light and nothng else. In addition the road slopes downhill very steeply. If you were just past the subway station and the bicyclist was 50 yards in front of you, you would not see him. At 30 mph, the speed limit at this point, you would have little time to react to a person at night.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

This is sad. Don't get me wrong. But...

Hey bicyclists, why don't you stop at stop signs EVER? I am so sick of it. Just two days ago, this guy saw I was coming out of a stop and did not even think to stop at his stop sign. Is it inconvenient for you to stop at every stop sign? Well, guess what: it is for drivers too. Deal. Or go ride in a park. Either way, your entitlement probably leads to more than half of these accidents.

Posted by: metzro44 | June 6, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I am saddened for the family and friend of this cyclist. This loss is the top concern for those affected. No comments will change their loss. Transportation involves risk. The database provided is interesting, but why not also include data on the number of people killed in automobiles?

Posted by: crawfordt | June 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"this was my cousin and i love and miss him very much
Posted by: williamskellyj"

you're sick, that's what you are. we're not all idiots here. some of us have enough sense to realize that people post bs like yours out of some perverse need to get attention or sympathy. Or else some sick desire to influence what people post. Either way, you are sick and need psychotherapy. Sick pathetic jerk.

Posted by: 1180 | June 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I WAS WITH HIM AND HIS WIFE ON MONDAY AT A COOK OUT AND HAVE TRAVAL ABROAD WITH BOTH OF THEM AND HE WAS A VERY BIG MAN WHITH A HUMBLE HEART, MY WIFE AND I ARE AT LOSS OF A GREAT MAN WHOM WE WILL MISS DEARLY. WE SEND OUR LOVE TO HIS MOM ,DAD AND WIFE KNOWING HE REST I THE HANDS OF OUR LORD AND SAIVOR JESUS

Posted by: jkelly5718 | June 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

metzro44--
Way to blame the victim. I'm sure you've never blown a red light, sped, rolled a stop sign, made an illegal pass, failed to stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, made an illegal u-turn, or were involved in a fender-bender.
Yep, let he who has the perfect driving record, and not a scratch on his car, cast the first stone.
Everyone needs to slow down.

Posted by: bikes-everywhere | June 6, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

i feel very disrespected by the coward who said i was lying i would never lie about anything like that this is my cousin his dad and my mom are siblings so now who is the psycopathetic jerk but back to u poochie i love and miss u very much u will neva be forgottin

Posted by: williamskellyj | June 6, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to blame the victim here, but lets face it, the guy shouldn't have been riding at 1045 at night. People who do that typically 1. dont have any lights on their bikes, 2. dont have reflective clothing, and 3. dont have a helmet. If someone is dumb enough to ride that late at night, they're not going to be the type of person who thinks about taking proper precautions. The SUV driver did the right thing by waiting at the scene and calling police.

Posted by: ASW02 | June 6, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

metzro44
You saw a cyclist break the law two days ago! Wow.
In a single recent, ordinary ride up Conecticut Avenue on my bicycle, I saw drivers:
Cross a solid white line: 5 cars
Run a red light: 4 cars
Illegal left turn: 2 cars
Use a cellphone: 6 cars (HUGE undercount)
Proceed into a crosswalk within 6' of pedestrian: 5 cars
Exceed posted speed: 300-500 cars.

Posted by: krickey7 | June 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

"this was my cousin and i love and miss him very much
Posted by: williamskellyj"

I am so sorry for your loss. I went to High School with your cousin.

I am saddened that folks are using this forum to attack.

Posted by: kcsmithDMV | June 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@smartheart: Neither registration nor insurance (and he had health insurance) would have saved him.

@ASW02: bicyclists have the right to be out anytime, on any street. Williams was a safe biker, and you have no idea how he was dressed.

I've been biking on M St in Georgetown (very well lit street) at 930pm, with helmet and lights front and rear. And I've still had a truck hit me, from behind, while I was stopped at a light.

For all the generalizations, it was that specific driver at fault, like the driver(s) that hit Williams. They weren't in control of their vehicles and, sadly, hit another person.

Posted by: mcjunkmail | June 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse