Posted at 7:51 PM ET, 10/27/2010

Bicyclist struck on Pennsylvania Ave.

By Erica Johnston

A bicyclist was struck by a vehicle Wednesday night on Pennsylvania Avenue in Northwest, D.C. police said.

Police were investigating the incident in the 600 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, where initial reports say a man on a bicycle was hit by a vehicle just before 7 p.m., said Officer Paul Metcalf, a spokesman.

The man was taken to a hospital with injuries that authorities believed were not life threatening, fire department officials said.

-- Clarence Williams

By Erica Johnston  | October 27, 2010; 7:51 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zombies & healthy holidays: D.C.'s blogs
Next: Saunders forces Parker into WTU runoff

Comments

Good to hear that the rider will be OK. I rode my bicycle past this accident last night - an SUV was trying to make a U-turn (illegal?) in the middle of the block over the bike lanes in the middle of Penn Ave between the Capitol and the White House. Right after that, I also was almost runover by a car doing the same thing.
The bike lanes in the middle of the street may have been a novel concept, but incredibly dangerous for bike riders. Drivers making U-turns don't look for bicyclists.
Maybe a small 3-inch berm guarding the bike lanes would be helpful - protecting bike riders and stopping U-turns in the middle of the block.

Posted by: 1oddmanout | October 28, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Was the biker wearing a helmet?
I hope that this person is ok but more often than not bikers don't wear helmets. People should at least try and protect themselves.
All of these people riding cap bike share don't wear helmets.
Come on people...brain trauma is some serious stuff.

Posted by: mrdcnews | October 28, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

As a former bike rider but one that often drives that stretch now, the lighting in that stretch is not pedestrian, bike rider or car driver friendly. So if it was past dusk, lighting could have been an issue. Between the cab drivers, valets and the normal "all about me" DC drivers, bike riders are in danger because many folks still recall those lanes as an open median.

Posted by: oknow1 | October 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad to know that the cyclist's injuries weren't life threatening. Having had a sister that was killed while riding her bike, it's important to me that everyone -- cyclists and drivers alike -- watch out for one another. However, just FYI, in the District, unless it is stated "No U-Turn", it is legal to make a u-turn anywhere.

Posted by: anon57 | October 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

mrdcnews - its a bit disparaging that your first concern is whether the biker was wearing a helmet. Studies on the efficacy of bike helmets have been largely inconclusive. It's also not expected for individuals to wear helmets when walking, driving, jogging, etc., but these are all activities with risks of head trauma.

Just to note: I bike commute daily through downtown and always wear a helmet.

Posted by: urbanlumberjack | October 28, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I ride in the Pennysylvania bike lines every day going to work and home again, and I can attest that they are incredibly dangerous. Cars frequently make U-turns across the lanes without looking for cyclists, and pedestrians are constantly either jaywalking across the lanes without looking for oncoming bikes or standing in the middle of the lanes. I even have seen an official Metro vehicle parked in the middle of them during rush hour. While I am strongly of the opinion that all cyclists should wear helmets and take full safety precautions, including wearing reflective gear, using lights, and not listening to headphones, even the safest rider is no match for a car intent on breaking the law. DC police should monitor this stretch of road much more carefully and give tickets both to vehicles and cyclists who do not follow the traffic rules and regulations. The city should also take steps to make the lanes safer for cyclists; every day I am surprised that I do not see more accidents there, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before there will be more and more reports like this one.

Posted by: BikeCommuter1 | October 28, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse