Posted at 12:06 PM ET, 04/23/2010

Biking and drinking? Not in D.C.

By Washington Post editors

The D.C. Court of Appeals has ruled that the city's ban on driving under the influence applies to riding a bike.

Though commonly called DUI, the law in Washington actually prohibits “operating a vehicle” under the influence of alcohol. Baker N. Everton appealed his 2007 conviction on the grounds that bikes are not vehicles. The appeals court concluded that both the law's language and the dictionary say otherwise.

The case began in January 2007, when police found Everton standing next to his bike, shouting and barely unable to stand. The officers warned him not to ride his bike. Everton rode on anyway, nearly hitting a child in a crosswalk before losing control of the bike and falling, according to the appeals court. That's when police arrested him for DUI.

User poll: Should drunk bicycling be illegal?

-- Associated Press

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Washington Post editors  | April 23, 2010; 12:06 PM ET
Categories:  DC, Traffic and Transportation  | Tags:  District of Columbia Court of Appeals, Driving under the influence
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vatican gives $2.7M to U-Md. research
Next: Change of venue for Betts' memorial

Comments

RUI

Posted by: steampunk | April 23, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Lord...I wish I was around to see this, it sounds hilarious.

Posted by: lulu202 | April 23, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

So, basically this cyclist tried to avoid liability for almost hitting a child by claiming that he was free to ride his bike while drunk.

Nice show of responsibility there.

Cyclists should be required to get and display licenses, just like cars.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | April 23, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Whats next "Walking While Intoxicated, with a wreckless attemp to crawl", been there in my younger years...

Posted by: FrankMonzon | April 23, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"...barely unable to stand." Really, Washington Post? REALLY?!

Posted by: sleepypasture | April 23, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

barely unable to stand

Barely ABLE to stand. Doesn't anyone proof this stuff before it is published? It really doesn't take too much effort.

Posted by: Axel2 | April 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I bet the issue also has to do with fixsters who are unable to stop their bikes at red lights, so they appear drunk. They charge through red lights and stop signs, yelling at people and trying to avoid cars. "Hey, I'm riding a fixie, just like a NY bike messenger! I don't know how to stop, but I think I look cool."

Posted by: miknugget | April 26, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse