Posted at 9:57 PM ET, 07/11/2010

Boy struck by car in 'grave' condition

By Erica Johnston

This post was updated at 6:50 a.m.

A young boy was struggling for his life Monday morning after he was struck by a car and critically injured in Georgetown Sunday evening, authorities said.

The boy, described as around 10 or 11 years old, was struck about 6:15 p.m. on Wisconsin Avenue NW between Q and R Streets NW.

He was taken to a hospital in "grave" condition, police said.

It was not immediately clear how the incident occurred. A police spokesman said the boy was apparently struck in the southbound lanes, but the matter remained under investigation Monday, and few other details were available.

It was not clear whether the boy was in a crosswalk.

Officials said that the boy was visiting from Texas, along with one or more relatives.

-- Martin Weil

By Erica Johnston  | July 11, 2010; 9:57 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man shot in Columbia Heights dies
Next: Police: 2 men posed as cops in robbery

Comments

KinkySr:
You're filth.

Posted by: Silly_Willy_Bulldog | July 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Well you make me wonder how you can take such a sad story and turn into to Bush bashing.

Meanwhile I wonder what happened. That's a really long block and tricky with the way 33rd merges into it at an angle, but it's typically so congested that I'm suprised a vehicle was moving fast enough to hurt the poor kid so badly.

Thoughts and prayers to the family -- how awful.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | July 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I truly hope that this boy will be okay and will be praying for him, his family, and the driver. This is a sad reminder that school is out and drivers need to watch for children and tourists from ALL locations. Being from Texas does not make this child less deserving of sympathy, either! What an immature, rude response to this situation, kinkysr! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: disgustedbykinkysr | July 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I was hit by a car, when I was a kid, failing to look both ways before crossing the street. I just remember being knocked 6-8 feet in the air, & coming smooth out of BOTH shoes. Moral of the story... SAFETY NEVER TAKES A HOLIDAY! For all, big & small... LOOK BOTH WAY BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET. It HURTS getting hit by moving vehicles. Trust me on this one folks.

Posted by: The_Funknician | July 12, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Everyone: be aware of your surroundings.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 12, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Kinkysr - You are an idiot. This young man passed away just a little while ago. You should be ashamed of yourself for turning this into a political statement. Shame on you.

Posted by: TXKiowaGirl | July 12, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

..."Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace heal this young lad."

Grant that the prayers sent up, and the words here before you, are enough for you to spare the boy, and grant him life, and grant the prayers of his parents and others be answered grant this I ask "O'Lord in "the Christ because I believe in miricles and one is needed WOnderful Counselor, Prince Of Peace for this young man who is fighting for his life, as our Prayers are fighting to save him!

..."Lord in your mercy hear our prayers...

..."Blessed be the Lord my God, "Who has not turned away my Prayers; "Nor his mercy from me." ---Psalm 66-22

Posted by: ztcb41 | July 12, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

How devastating - how our lives can be changed in an instant. I pray for this boy's life and for his family.

Posted by: habari2 | July 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

kinkysr - go play in traffic.

Posted by: solsticebelle | July 12, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

kinkysr can suck it. The boy died yesterday. This tragedy has nothing to do with where he was from or George Bush. He was 10 and looked exactly like his dad. He was killed in front of his whole family (mom, dad and little brother)while on vacation. Please refrain from remarks that show your stupidity and remember that there are people, like me, that know this family that read the news.

Posted by: Jamie11 | July 12, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Probably one of those Georgetown students always getting drunk and causing trouble.

Posted by: ObamasArizonaLawsuitWillBeTheDownfallOfTheDemocratsInNovember2010 | July 12, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

WAPO, please update this story. Other news outlets have reported that this poor child has died. Our prayers go out to the family.

And what is it about this website that attracts such ugly comments? It's so disturbing - both for those who know the family and for the rest of us.

Posted by: dcintheworld | July 12, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

To The Funknician and everyone who commented on the importance of traffic safety and awareness training for children: Amen.

When I was growing up ([mumbled #] years ago) in the New York area, there was a Public Service Announcement that ran frequently on all the children's TV programs. It contained several rules for ensuring - or at least greatly maximizing - pedestrian safety in an urban or suburban environment. Because it was a singing ditty, it was easy to remember, and so it became engraved on our brains. I know for a fact that learning and living this ditty saved more than one of my cohort from serious injury or death.

I wish I could convey the tune via this medium - although I suppose parents could make up their own tunes for it - but the lyrics went as follows:

Don't cross in the middle, in the middle, in the middle,
In the middle, in the middle, in the middle of the block.
Teach your eyes to look out -
Teach your ears to hear -
Walk down to the corner where the coast is clear.
And wait - and wait - until you see the light turn green.
(repeat the first portion)

Posted by: nan_lynn | July 12, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse