Posted at 10:12 AM ET, 03/29/2010

Cherry blossom bloom date moved up again

By Washington Post editors

It looks as if the peak days to view Washington's beloved cherry blossom trees have been moved up.

According to the National Cherry Blossom Festival's bloom watch, the average peak bloom dates are April 1 and 2, with the blooming period from March 27 through April 8.

The bloom is moving very rapidly and probably won't last the length of the festival, said National Park Service blossom expert Rob DeFeo. "This will not be a 14-day bloom," DeFeo said.

The festival runs through April 11.

The National Park Service had already moved up the peak bloom dates for the cherry blossom bloom after a spurt of warm weather March 20 and 21.

To see full coverage of the cherry blossom festival, visit the Going Out Guide.

By Washington Post editors  | March 29, 2010; 10:12 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland, Virginia, Weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro to stage emergency drills
Next: Metro to stay on heightened alert for several weeks

Comments

I think I must have missed something. So when are the new peak bloom dates?

Posted by: ANFDC | March 29, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you missed anything. I think the Post screwed up. If you remove the word "average," then it makes sense -- peak bloom moved up to April 1 and 2, with blooming period March 27 through April 8 (which ends before the festival's last day of April 11). At least, that's my best guess. But holy poorly written blurb, Post.

Posted by: esmerelda123 | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

But wait, those folksy, average-joe scientists at fox news said that the big snowstorms ahwile ago proved that the earth is actually cooling? Shouldn't the bloom dates move further back into the spring.

could they be wrong? gasp!!! what would i do then, if the people doing my thinking for me are making stuff up?

Posted by: atomictreefrog | March 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I read it and read it over and finally clicked on the link to learn the dates. They ought to be in the first paragraph.

This is "anti-news."

More like a teaser on telivision.
"Earth to end in five minutes. Details tonight at eleven."

Posted by: GaryEMasters | March 29, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

We were there, yesterday. The tidal basin is at flood levels and over 1/2 the walkway is under water. The grass is muddy and blocked by fences in some areas. Also very narrow, making it difficult for people to pass.
After today's rain, I'm sure it's worse.
This is the information that people really need.

Posted by: gjvan | March 29, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

This is news? Why is this cherry blossom thing such a big deal? There's a cherry blossom tree infront of my house. Yes, it's pretty for about a week, then all that stuff comes off and makes tons of garbage. You've seen it once, you've seen them all.

Posted by: COCOLoco3 | March 30, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse