Posted at 6:49 PM ET, 03/ 9/2011

D.C. Mayor Gray retains attorney

By Nikita Stewart

This story has been updated.

Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) has retained lawyer Robert S. Bennett, who represented President Bill Clinton in the Monica Lewinsky affair, while former mayoral candidate and recently fired employee Sulaimon Brown said he was meeting with the FBI Wednesday.

Gray’s retention of an attorney and Brown’s visit to the FBI heightened Brown’s allegations that Gray promised him a job in exchange for attacking then-Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) on the campaign trail.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office announced late Wednesday that the office takes Brown's allegations "seriously," and is "working with the FBI to assess the matter."

Brown also alleges that Lorraine Green, Gray’s confidante, and Howard Brooks, Gray’s campaign consultant, gave him a series of payments over the summer to keep his campaign afloat.

Brown, a 40-year-old unemployed auditor, was hired as a $110,000 special assistant in the Department of Health Care Finance at the end of January. But he was fired Feb. 24 after media reports of his past legal troubles, including a 2007 restraining order.

Brown told The Washington Post of the allegations. Since the Post published a story on Sunday, Green’s confirmation hearing to be Gray’s pick to head the Washington Convention and Sports Authority has been put on hold indefinitely. Brooks’ son, hired as a $110,000 special assistant in the economic development department, is resigning, according to a government source.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Gray called Bennett and asked him to be his personal counsel. In 2009, Gray tapped Bennett to head an independent probe into Council member Marion Barry’s personal contracts. Bennett and lawyer Jonice Gray Tucker, Gray’s daughter, worked previously at the same law firm.

By Nikita Stewart  | March 9, 2011; 6:49 PM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crash in Southwest D.C. injures 5
Next: Mark Center suit seeks $30M in damages

Comments

As I, GAY karate teacher Dr. Clifford Thomas of PeeGeeCee in Bladensburg Rec Ctr look at the mater of V.Gray and Sulaimon Brown I see rainbow colors and some shades of pay-to-play.

Posted by: NoDocCliffThomasKarate | March 9, 2011 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Vince Gray...I curse you. Until you do right by YOUR VOLUNTEERS, everything you even think about gonna fail!

Lorraine Green...The jail you planned for THE VINCE GRAY VOLUNTEERS is the one you're gonna rot in.

Vince Gray...All my life I had to fight, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight the MAYOR I WORKED SO HARD FOR TO MAKE THE MAYOR OF DC!

Lorraine Green...You a low down dirty dog, that's what's wrong. Time for me to get VINCE GRAY away from you, and enter into Creation. And your JAILED body'd be just the welcome mat I need.

Posted by: DeRailedGrayTrain1 | March 9, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeRailedGrayTrain1 | March 9, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

and these fools want statehood?

Posted by: wewinyoulose1 | March 9, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Sulaimon Brown would have kept his mouth shut had he gotten the promised position. He's no better than anyone associated with this fiasco. Can the entire group who worked on Gray's election committee be arrested, impeached or jailed? Fenty must be LHAO.

Posted by: skinfreak | March 9, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Da hell? Mayor Gray, if you didn't do anything wrong, then WHY do you need a high-powered attorney? I regret that I gave you my vote.

Posted by: linroy62 | March 10, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

In the end, Sulaimon Brown who is a 40 year old African American man, will never get a job. Whose going to hire him? I will become a trust issue. In this day and time, everything on the Internet. Perspective employers, google people now. Also in the end, Gray will be fine. He's pretty much set for life. I am sure that his retirement benefits will be great. He owns a home that I am sure is well of $1 million dollars. I am almost sure that he has invested well. He's also an attorney. It's the way that things are.

I personally feel that Sulaimon Brown just dug his own grave.

This like all other news will eventually blow over. It's the way that things are.

Posted by: samvped205 | March 10, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I personally feel that Sulaimon Brown just dug his own grave.

Posted by: samvped205 | March 10, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

At last, Vince Gray makes an informed and intelligent hiring choice! Bob Bennett is smart, tough and respected -- unlike Gray's other advisors.

Posted by: postnote123 | March 10, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: postnote123 | March 10, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Don't hate the player folks, hate the game. Has the older folk's use to say. "You know what you got" but you sure don't know what you will get. ALL OF YOU GRAY VOTER'S GOT HIM. lIVE WITH HIM.

Posted by: kitty281137 | March 10, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't hate the player folks, hate the game. As the older folk's use to say. "You know what you got" but you sure don't know what you will get. ALL OF YOU GRAY VOTER'S GOT HIM. lIVE WITH HIM.

Posted by: kitty281137 | March 10, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse