Posted at 6:55 AM ET, 02/14/2011

2 shot by D.C. officers after home invasion

By Martin Weil

D.C. police opened fire late Sunday night on three people suspected of a home invasion in the Brookland neighborhood of Northeast Washington, WRC-TV (Channel 4) reported. One person was fatally wounded and another was shot and injured.

Police were sent to the 1000 block of Irving Street NE shortly before 11 p.m. to investigate a possible burglary. Channel 4 said three suspected burglars ran from the rear of the residence, and allegedly opened fire on police, who shot back.

One of the three was killed, one was wounded and the third was taken into custody, WRC said.

The incident occurred about one half mile southeast of the Catholic University campus and Brookland stop on the Metro Red line. WRC said police are investigating whether the suspects are connected to any other recent burglaries in the areas.

By Martin Weil  | February 14, 2011; 6:55 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region
Next: Metro equipment found at worker's home

Comments

I live one block from that and I heard the gunshots.... Not exactly what one wants to hear outside their house. Scary.

Posted by: ArielleK | February 14, 2011 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArielleK | February 14, 2011 12:19 AM | Report abuse

DC Police are to be awarded good marks, kind of since they missed expiration dates (you know like the deceased killed by cop guns) for the other 2 badguys/home invader/liden criminals at this house.

Posted by: TheresaDudleyStank | February 14, 2011 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | February 14, 2011 8:00 AM | Report abuse

RepealObamacareNow
You are very tough. Most people wish bad situation never happen, but you want it to happen.
I hope you pay your full health insurance and not write it off. I know you don’t what me or your job to subsidize your insurance.

Posted by: AtomAnt | February 14, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

@RepealObamacareNow

"I have three guns in my home in DC, all loaded and cocked. One on each floor. One gun is within arms reach 24 hours a day. Bring it on, you punks."
-------------------------------

Yeah, right. You're Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson all rolled up into one.

You think anyone believes you?

I just love it when guys like you try to play big and bad.

The average "punk" can easily take away your gun and make you wet yourself while they have the barrel down your throat.

"Bring it on". You're a regular riot!

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 14, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

sorry to break it to ya'll, but the "home owners" were drug dealers and the "home invaders" were from neighborhood watch.

Posted by: joeblow111 | February 14, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

AtomAnt,

Never mind RepealObamacareNow. He's the typical right-wing know-nothing who is motivated by nothing more than his dislike of the current White house occupant.

Ask him why he dislikes Obama, and he'll immediately recite whatever conservative talking points he can best remember.

He's the type who would believe the world is flat simply because Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, or Rush Limbaugh told him to. The fact that they're laughing at him on their way to the bank is over his head.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 14, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@RepealObamacareNow

-------------------------------

Yeah, right. You're Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson all rolled up into one.

You think anyone believes you?

I just love it when guys like you try to play big and bad.

"Bring it on". You're a regular riot!

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 14, 2011 8:29 AM
-------------------------------
@ ceefer66

Why don't go pass where RepealObamacareNow lives and try to break into his house and see if he's really does have 3 guns on every floor like he says.

"Go ahead make his day" LOL!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 14, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

ceefer,
Whether he has the weapons he claims makes no difference to me. I don't break and enter so it doesn't affect me in any way. As long as he owns them legally that's his business and he is allowed to protect himself, his family and property.
If you paid any attention to the mid-term elections in November it seems like A WHOLE LOT of people dislike President Obama and the liberal Democratic agenda pushed by Nancy Pelosi. You do realize that was a historical swing in the House...right?
So his disliking President Obama hardly makes him a minority in his opinion.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 14, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

great, so now every home invader will be sure to be packing heat now..... you just upped the ante for everyone, thanks

Posted by: cornbread_jones | February 14, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

BigDaddy651,
ACTUALLY, that "historical swing" was no different than the swing that occurs each and every single time the economy is in the crapper and the average American voter is frustrated. Since they have no tangible proof of who is at "fault", their instinct is to blame whoever is in charge. And how do you get back at those people? You vote them out.

Given RepealObamacareNow's handle, I would venture to say that he would "dislike" Obama regardless of the national climate. And given his satiric commentary on just about every post, I would hope such ribbing wouldn't come as a great shock.

Posted by: MsAyesha22 | February 14, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Washington Post loves to put a dramatic spin on house burglary articles by saying it was a "Home Invasion"... Is it a home invasion if there is now one home??? Maybe it's just a burglary... Any way I commend the DC Police for getting those dumb, ignorant, and asinine criminals. This is the very reason why most of our states in addition to DC have gun laws, just for fools like these who need some serious attention by the justice systems... which will be for there safety... Also look how stupid these fools are, one of them lost there life for a few hundred dollars... how stupid can they be...Do these fools know we are no longer in the 1980's people have alarm systems.... They are dumb fools

Posted by: pusha-d | February 14, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

joeblow11 wrote:
"...the "home owners" were drug dealers and the "home invaders" were from neighborhood watch."

Where are you getting your info? According to the TV news the home was occupied by college students having a party. Please don't post erroronous and racist comments.

As far as the Post calling this a home invasion it was not. It was a burglary done by a trio of stupid idiots who tried it while there was a party going on in the house. The people in the house called the police which is way they police got there while the trio were still there.

3 suspects. 1 shot. 1 Killed. 1 arrested. This is what I would called a trifectar. Way to go police!

Posted by: Jimof1913 | February 14, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

MsAyesha22,
While I agree that there was certainly plenty of voter discontent I'm also sure there have been mid-term elections during economic dowmturns.
The resulting loss in seats in the House from the November election was the largest since I believe the 1940's.
There have been lots of mid-term elections since the 1940's and surely some of those took place during recessions.
Whether you agree with it or not, it was a historically significant loss by the Dems.
A case study in not allowing a presidency to be highjacked by the House Majority leader.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | February 14, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@ joeblow111I....the KIDS who live in this house are college students all of whom are very traumatized by what has taken place in their home during a party. One happens to be my brother... and as for the men who you say were on "neighborhood watch," why would they feel the need to wear masks if they were just friendly neighbors?
I HOPE THAT EVERYONE READING THIS ARTICLE WILL TAKE THE TIME TO SAY A PRAYER FOR THESE STUDENTS...THEY ARE EXTREMELY TRAUMATIZED AND SHAKEN UP AFTER BEING TORTURED AND ROBBED AT GUNPOINT...

Posted by: nnff | February 14, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jimof1913 | February 14, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrhney03 | February 14, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

BigDaddy651,

After a perusal of Wikipedia (the Bible, I know) it would appear that states that flipped in 2006, flopped in 2010. There's nothing significant about the fickle nature of Americans. If anything, that's one of few historical constants. If you think the average American even knows who Nancy Pelosi is, you have much more faith in your fellow American than I do.

Posted by: MsAyesha22 | February 14, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As a matter of logic and empirical reality, home invasions are almost non-existent when people are allowed to keep guns in their homes. It's true that an invader MAY be able to take your gun and use it against you. However, most home invaders are not Chuck Norris - they are illiterate thug-wannabe teenagers who have no experience with guns. More importantly, the mere chance that a home might have guns in it is enough to DETER the invasion in the first place. In Britain, where people are not allowed to keep guns, home invasion (and similar crimes) are approximately 10 times as common as they are in the U.S. Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, where one out of three homes has a gun (one of the highest rates in the world) home invasion is non-existent.

If DC's gun restrictions were lessened, we would all be safer in our homes (whether we actually had a gun or not), and these troubled young men would probably still be alive - because they never would have broken into the home in the first place.

Posted by: jaohair | February 15, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance. I saw this same story on Fox5 news and the suspects' friends were all lamenting about how good these guys were. They were terrorists and thugs and the lone survivor should be glad that he surrender, otherwise, he'd be dead too.

Posted by: BLKManCommonSense | February 15, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

mrhenry03 wrote:

"that one killed was my friend needle dick. u buy into all this media propaganda but that is someones son, someones brother, and some bodys friend. Im not going to judge u. God will"

It is always the same when one of these thugs is brought down. Oh he was a good boy, went to church, had dreams of being CEO of IBM, was a good father to the children he sired (But could not afford and expected others to) and on and on and on. Then of course they find a picture of him when he was six and cute not as they are now, hardened thugs wearing sweatshirts. When are folks going to say these kind of people are getting what they deserve for hurting someone Else's brother, sister, daughter, son or friend? Why do the clowns always make the criminals out to be the victims and not the victims? I am sure you are going to find that these clowns had an extensive record of violent crimes already and this is just the eventual end of their road.

Posted by: Pilot1 | February 15, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What is sad that for all of the assumptions people choose to make, and all of the details these think they know, people still try to turn this into a political and gun control issues. Seriously? D.C. has one of the highest crime rates in the country, but of course, let's blame the government, or that fact that people own guns. This just kind of illustrates how little responsibility people take for their own actions, or in-actions. As well as their part in their neighborhoods and communities. I don't care how many guns you own, if it fits within the restrictions of the law, and I don't care what your opinions of the government are. Your neighborhood obviously has a problem, and apparently only those who heard the gunshots have the most facts about this incident. Sorry, I am sure this is rambling to some....just sad to me.

Posted by: seanbergemann | February 15, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Not that I care for ceefer66 political views but my dad had guns in his car and in our house. We weren't Republicans either. All of the known thugs around our area knew that my dad was packin' and none of them ever gave him or us any trouble. The problem with our society is that a vast majority try to do the right thing and the thugs know it! These criminals take their chances for these kinds of crimes because they know that the average citizen if a sitting duck. I'm not for gun control simply because the guns are mainly in the hands of folks that are more than willing to shoot for a slice of pizza. Where does that leave the rest of unprotected souls who try to do the right thing?

Posted by: londonsmusic | February 15, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse