Posted at 6:44 PM ET, 07/27/2010

D.C. police chase leads to seizure of a gun

By Erica Johnston

D.C. police ran through the busy downtown section just west of the White House Tuesday evening in a chase that led to the seizure of a gun, police said.

The incident occurred about 6 p.m. as hundreds of office workers were leaving the buildings near Pennsylvania Avenue and 18th Street NW.

According to preliminary accounts, someone jumped from a car, near one of the World Bank or International Monetary Fund headquarters buildings.

Police ran in pursuit, and a gun was seized near the Farragut West Metro station at 18th and I Streets NW.

-- Martin Weil

By Erica Johnston  | July 27, 2010; 6:44 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teen charged in fatal D.C. shooting
Next: 3 charged with trying to steal copper

Comments

There were at least two people in a cream Cadillac Escalade. As they were fleeing from police going towards the White House they lost control at the intersection of 19th Ave and Pennsylvania and slammed into a parked mail truck. Two guys got out and ran. One ran down Penn towards the WH, turned right on 18th, and crossed the street into the IMF or World Bank bank building, whichever one it is. He was brought out by police a few minutes later and placed in the police cruiser. I didn't see where the other one ran. I saw it all from about 150 yards away. It was pretty crazy. Something you usually only see on COPS.

Posted by: philconnors1 | July 27, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I think I was mistaken about the World Bank building. I think the building the guy ran into is actually just an office building. Google maps shows a law firm there called the Shaffer Law Firm. Presumably there are other tenants. And the Escalade was cream-colored, not cream. =)

Posted by: philconnors1 | July 27, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a "glass half full" story, slanted in favor of the police.

Instead of pointing out that nearly a dozen pursuing officers utterly failed to capture the suspect in broad daylight in downtown DC, you parrot the police line that the pursuit resulted in the capture of ... a gun.

Posted by: kcx7 | July 27, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

This is not a "joke" question, but why aren't policemen or law enforcement officers required to go through rigorous physical conditioning tests as part of their job requirements? They don't have to be decathaletes or soldiers, but there should be some BASELINE aerobic fitness level. I don't understand how a security guard or policeman can be overweight. Someone running on foot in daytime? You gotta catch them.

Posted by: superseiyan | July 27, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

If any of you folks on here bashing on the police were ever in our shoes, you would know that we wear and carry over 20 lbs of equipment on us, so, it's not that easy to keep up with people who are, for one, running scared, which makes you run even faster, and two, because they are not carrying all that excess weight on them. I know what you all mean about some overweight cops, but, I for one catch most of my perps. And most others do too. Especially when an area is cordoned off correctly and we have assistance. It takes teamwork to catch criminals. It's not like what you see in the movies or on TV. And to kcx7, you're just another liberal, cop hating citizen. Go crawl back in the hole you came out of. You would never have what it takes to be a cop, so stop bashing them.

Posted by: Chazo | July 28, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Great job for getting at least one gun off the streets. I'm sure everyone who was watching and videotaping didn't bother to help. I know its hard so I thank you for your efforts.

Posted by: sillyrepubs | July 28, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

The whole thing was crazy. People could've been killed. I was entering intersection of 25th & Penn on a green light when the white Escalade ran up on me at a high rate of speed, but swerved around my car by a few feet. He then proceeded to drive Penn Ave into oncoming traffic and came close to crushing about 12 people at crosswalk at 24th & Penn. Folks were running and diving out of the way in frantic fear. From there I saw the truck continue on into Washington Circle by GW Hosp. with at least 8 police cars in pursuit. Was something out of a movie. Glad they caught the perpetrators.

Posted by: NahLaterz1 | July 28, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful follow up by the Post. If the story were about Salahi's poodle being taken to the Vet there would be 10 reporters and a photog covering the story.

I was at the intersection of 19th and Penn and here's what really happened:

Sirens are in the background heading east on Pennsylvania as the light turns green for traffic South on 19th st. A honda and a pickup truck enter the intersection south on 19th. the Escalade driving east on Penn (in the west bound lanes) runs the red light and hits both cars. It then continues diagonally on to H st hits a parked USPS truck and comes to a rest on the curb part way down the street. 5 black males jump out and run in opposite directions. at least 5 cop cars (some MPD some Secret Service) are right on top of them but because the suspects all ran in different directions and the streets are crowded police have a hard time chasing them all down (looks like they only caught 2 of them). During the chase, one suspect carjacks another car on (i believe) 19th and I st and gets away.
the 2 cars in the intersection were in bad shape but it appears that the drivers didn't suffer major injuries.

My knock on the police here was not for the chase or their conditioning but rather for the post response. After the scene settled down traffic was snarled and even with at least 5 officers sitting at the intersection, not one of them could be bothered (or even attempted) to direct traffic. In the 30 minutes or so after the chase there were 5 "near misses" by cars trying to navigate the intersection.

Posted by: deltaxi | July 28, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for clarifying all this deltaxi. I am sure there is even more to this story. As soon as I get back to work, I will inquire and get more of the facts out. As far as traffic goes, that was a busy part of the day, and yes, they should have started traffic control as soon as things settled down on that scene. Police Officers are people too and not perfect you know.

Posted by: Chazo | July 28, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Chazo, I understand the chaos factor and forgive it (especially considering there were/are still 3 suspects still at large) but there were at least 3 officers (white shirts) on the scene, I would have hoped that one of them would have taken charge. They might have had orders it just didn't seem that way. I would appreciate anything you could find on the rest of the story as the media is choosing to ignore this in favor of the 4 residents in Bethesda who still don't have power.

Posted by: deltaxi | July 28, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse