Posted at 10:37 AM ET, 01/13/2011

D.C.: shovel snow or face fines?

By Washington Post editors

District property owners who don't clear snow from sidewalks around their property could be ticketed under a bill being considered by the D.C. Council, the Washington Examiner reports.

The proposed legislation would allow officials to write tickets of at least $25 for residential property owners and at least $250 for businesses if they don't clear their sidewalks in a timely manner. Under the bill, property owners and businesses would have eight hours from the time the snow stops to clear their walks.

Read more on a possible plan to ticket D.C. residents for not clearing their walks in the Washington Examiner:

By Washington Post editors  | January 13, 2011; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 3 adults hurt in school bus accident in D.C.
Next: Md. teacher nominated for national award

Comments

YES!!! It's about time but it should be doubled on snow emergency routes or any streets with a Metrobus route. There is no excuse for pedestrians to be forced to walk in the street on a busy route in order to get to the bus. Use the extra revenue to help cover Metro assessments to DC.

Posted by: blankspace | January 13, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blankspace | January 13, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What about sidewalks in front of DC properties?
Many of thosewill probably stay unshoveled.

Posted by: jeadpt | January 13, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

8 hours is a little ridiculous. What if I'm at work or out of town for the day. Overall, a good idea. Or they could just send someone out to slip on the unshoveled walk and call Greenberg & Bederman.

Posted by: bflorhodes | January 13, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: do NOT take a week's vacation in the winter!!!!

I'd rather pay $25 to the a teenager who'll shovel for me than the gov't who'll find a way to misuse the funds... but those kids no longer exist. At least not in my neighborhood!

Posted by: missboo | January 13, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: do NOT take a week's vacation in the winter!!!!

Posted by: missboo | January 13, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Great idea! But, if the snowfall ends at 11 pm, we would have until 7 am the next morning to have shoveled our sidewalks?! FAIL!

Posted by: williamhuxtan | January 13, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is a joke. 8 hours com'on. The plows usually takes 3 days to come though my neighborhood.

Posted by: instinct227 | January 13, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Shoveling less than 1 inch of snow that melted in less than 24 hours? Give me a break!

This region needs to grow some cojones when it comes to snow.

Posted by: sammalone1 | January 13, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

This region needs to grow some cojones when it comes to snow.

Posted by: sammalone1 | January 13, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The District of Columbia never saw a fee it didn't embrace :-(

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | January 13, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PracticalIndependent
"The District of Columbia never saw a fee it didn't embrace :-("

The DC Council is still trying to figure out a way to hit commuters with this fine.

Posted by: jeadpt | January 13, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

D.C. has a lot of NERVE because HOMEOWNERS DO NOT OWN THE LAND. THE CITY DOES and can take the land by imminent domain. D.C. can't get snow or trash picked up in a timely manner, so how can they determine when its residents should remove snow from sidewalks residents don't own. I've lived in Ward 5 on a corner in the 1800 Block of Irving Street, NE for the past 15 years, where there are no permanent curbs or sidewalks. The city claims the homeowners will have to pay for them; WHY SHOULD WE. There are only 5 single family homes from the 1800 block to the 1900 block; the rest are apartment buildings (at least 6). I pay to have my grass cut and snow removed and its not cheap (my property sits on a hill). After debating the lack of permanent curbs and sidewalks; I NOW KEEP MY PROPERTY CLEARED TO THE PROPERTY LINE ONLY according to my plot. The first ticket I get for not clearing city property, I will take the city to court. I RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN PROPERTY NOT THE CITY'S.

Posted by: pbell2 | January 13, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

And if business owners can't make it in to their stores or restaurants because the city's snow plows didn't get down their residential streets, then what?

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | January 13, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It's outrageous that there is not already a fine in place. Mary Cheh you PROMISED to resolve this last year when I complained about the danger for pedestrians with uncleared sidewalks. The fines should be much higher, or at least, institute higher fines for repeat offenders (like other jurisdictions). But if you kill a pedestrian in the District with your car (police officers included), you only get a $25 fine, so the Council ranks endangering someone the same as killing someone.

Posted by: taishan1 | January 13, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taishan1 | January 13, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

If the city wants the public sidewalks cleared, the city should hire people to do the job. Dragooning ordinary citizens into doing this work for no pay borders on involuntary servitude

Why not demand that ordinary residents pave the streets and sidewalks in front of their houses as well? Many people would see that as an outrage, but the principle is the same.

Posted by: jrsposter | January 13, 2011 7:41 PM | Report abuse