Posted at 6:47 PM ET, 04/22/2010

Dorothy Height's funeral set for April 29

By Erica Johnston

The funeral service for civil rights leader Dorothy Height will be held next Thursday at Washington National Cathedral, officials said Thursday.

Height, president emerita of the National Council of Negro Women, died Tuesday at Howard University Hospital at the age of 98. Her body will lay in repose at the council’s headquarters on Tuesday. Members of the public can pay their respects from 6 p.m. to 10 pm.
On Wednesday, Height will be honored by the Delta Sigma Theta sorority at 2 p.m. in a public service at Howard University. At 7 p.m., a public Community Celebration of Life memorial will be held at Shiloh Baptist Church in Northwest.

Next Thursday, Height’s funeral will begin at 10 a.m. Burial will follow at Fort Lincoln Cemetery in Brentwood.

-- Hamil R. Harris

By Erica Johnston  | April 22, 2010; 6:47 PM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Navy tests plant-powered jet
Next: Motorcyclist dies in Beltway crash

Comments

Why does this blogpost have the wrong picture. Extremely sloppy, even for the Post. Is there a competition between the Post and King Fenty, on disrespecting Dr. Dorothy Height in life, and in Death.
Give this woman her due. She deserves it, and the Post needs to try harder.

Posted by: KwameFan | April 22, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Now the Blogpost has no picture.
Who is Hamil R. Harris and why is this post attributed to Erica Johnston? To early in the year to blame it on summer interns.

Posted by: KwameFan | April 22, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I meant "too". I not sure if I'm more upset about the indignity to Dr. Height or the fact that the Washington Post is still considered a paper of record.

Posted by: KwameFan | April 22, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

LOL@KwameFan

I agree KwameFan and King Fenty shouldn't show up at her funeral. I plan on taking leave Thursday and I will attend Dr. Dorothy Height's funeral. If I see King Fenty there, I am going to tell him off. I really dislike Adrian and the bad person he's become.

Posted by: Ward4DC | April 22, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Do you really think Dr. Height would like someone telling someone else off at her funeral? Please, don't do it there. It is disrespectful for all she stood for and did. Do it somewhere else.

Posted by: cms1 | April 23, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

CMS1, you make a good point. Adrian Fenty was very disrespectful to Dr. Dorothy Height and Dr. Maya Angelou by refusing to meet with these black women. Who in the heck Fenty thought he was that he couldn't have cleared his schedule to meet with them? I remember seeing Dr. Height at a D.C. Council hearing with Congresswomen Maxine Waters and Barbara Lee last year testifying on behalf of keep Cora Masters-Barry on at the tennis center in southeast. I hope all Ms. Height's fellow Sorors from Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. will remember the disrespect Mayor Fenty showed to Dr. Height at the ballot box in September. Adrian is the Anti Christ.

Posted by: Ward4DC | April 23, 2010 3:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty should not attend Dr. Dorothy Height's funeral. He refused to see her while she was living. The lady was 97 years old at the time and is a legend. Fenty could have found the time to meet with this woman. I bet Oprah would have found the time to meet with Dr. Height and Oprah have a very busy schedule.

Posted by: DaddyGraceFishSandwich | April 23, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse