Posted at 3:02 PM ET, 07/13/2010

Dupont Circle Safeway to close

By Washington Post editors

Didn't know there was a Safeway in Dupont Circle? Well, that may have been part of the problem.

Dave Stroup reports on the We Love DC blog that the store at 1800 20th St. NW is closing for good on Aug. 7. No word on a new tenant.

DCist also has an item about the store's demise.

By Washington Post editors  | July 13, 2010; 3:02 PM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley proposes waiving AP fees
Next: Rally for fired caseworkers in Jacks case

Comments

Wow, don't scare folks like that with that headline. For most folks the Dupont Safeway is the one at 17th and Corcoran. The townhouse Safeway got very little business.

Posted by: laurie1545 | July 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

There was a Safeway at the corner of P and 20th back in the late 60s. It was small but very much a convenience for the neighborhood.

Posted by: dorofacol | July 13, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I remember that Safeway at 20th & P back when I was attending Calvert School at St. Matthew's Cathedral back in the 50s. It was in the basement of the Blaine House, where the bicycle shop was for many decades afterwards until quite recently.

Posted by: craighowell1 | July 13, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll do my next shopping there, just to say a proper good "buy". It will be missed.

Posted by: 1citizen | July 14, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1citizen | July 14, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Soviet Safeway survives...

Posted by: Heather3 | July 14, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

"Didn't know there was a Safeway in Dupont Circle?" What a strange question, given that the store that is closer to the circle, at 17th and Corcoran, is always packed.

Posted by: hmessinger2 | July 14, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse