Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 1:08 PM ET, 04/ 2/2010

Fenty fires shelter nonprofit

By Washington Post editors

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty has fired Families Forward, the nonprofit contracted to manage the city's winter emergency shelter for homeless families, after several women accused male employees of soliciting and engaging in sex with residents and the agency failed to notify D.C. officials.

A criminal investigation into the allegations has been launched to determine if charges should be filed against two male employees who were later fired by Families Forward, said D.C. Attorney General Peter Nickles. An investigation by the D.C. Department of Human Services has determined that the allegations are valid.

Families Forward was notified that its $2.5 million contract to manage the Family Emergency Shelter at the old D.C. General Hospital complex and a transitional shelter on Park Road would be terminated April 30, and that they would be removed from the shelters immediately.

The Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness, which manages the city's contracts with shelter providers, will take over management of both shelters until another provider can be found.

"These mistakes happen but we're not going to sweep them under the rug," Fenty said. "We're going to do something about them."

-- Darryl Fears

9:45 a.m.
Fenty to fire shelter nonprofit

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty is expected to announce Friday morning that the beleaguered nonprofit group that managed the city's shelter for homeless families has been fired.

Fenty has scheduled a 10 a.m. news conference to discuss the termination of the D.C. Department of Human Services contract with the nonprofit agency Families Forward.

A 7-hour D.C. Council hearing Thursday revealed that Families Forward failed to notify the city of numerous allegations from women at the shelter who said male employees were soliciting and engaging in sex with residents in early March.

The managers of the District's Family Emergency Shelter also revealed that a 5-week-old died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome during the winter emergency on Feb. 9. A another child died last May.

Fenty was not notified of the allegations until he received an e-mail from a resident on March 17.

Families Forward chief executive Ruby King-Gregory confirmed that the shelter did not notify the city of the accusations, but said two employees, including a security guard, were terminated as a result of the alleged misconduct.

The shelter has had numerous problems, homeless advocates said. The Fenty administration failed to correctly estimate the number of families who would need winter housing during the recession, they said, leading to overcrowding that Families Forward was not prepared to handle.

The men who were fired had been hired quickly by the group to help handle the overflow.

By Washington Post editors  | April 2, 2010; 1:08 PM ET
Categories:  DC  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. police say shootings unrelated
Next: Teen boys charged with 3 D.C. robberies

Comments

Subject: 3-31-10 hearing on Families Forward & the rest of the bunch

During that zombified hearing the camera would zoom in and out periodically and when the camera zoomed out I saw something strange. I saw what looked like the evil and murderous actions of Darfur written all over the faces of Carter, Buford, Ruby and Salters.
Has anyone noticed that the four people mentioned had no human concern nor any human sorrow. Their faces emotionless and their eyes spoke of deceit with a vengeance for blood toward the most vulnerable they were to help.
Needy families never get anything out of this and that system as those who run and operate those programs make a killing off of the homeless!

Worst crime, hurt and destroy your own kind/race! Make no mistake that good white and black folks are crucifying the names and characters of those four traitors and those that followed them.

Jail should be there home on earth and hell their eternity for the many lives, minds and futures they scarred and destroyed with deliberate intent harboring no regret!

Question, what government heads knew of the atrocities for a long time and did nothing? almost all of them!

Posted by: elect2 | April 9, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company