Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 09/15/2010

Fenty: no more politics for me

By Washington Post editors

Update, 11:15 a.m.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, flanked by the ward coordinators of his campaign, said he had called Democratic nominee Vincent C. Gray and plans to meet with him later in the week.

Fenty credited Gray with running a "strategic" and "disciplined" campaign and said he will not run against him. In fact, Fenty said he doubts he will ever be in elected office again. "For me, this is the beginning of the end of a great 10-year run," he said.

And as a native Washingtonian, he said he has no plans to move. "I will be here for the rest of my life," he said.

He added that he will always give back to the community as his parents taught him.

He said he spoke briefly with D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle a. Rhee, who will be " the ultimate decider about her own political future."

Gray is scheduled to speak today at noon.

Earlier post.

D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, who lost his bid for a second term to D.C. Council Chairman Vincent Gray, will speak to the media today at 10:45 a.m. at his campaign headquarters on Georgia Avenue.

Meanwhile, D.C. Council Chairman Vincent Gray, fresh off his Tuesday victory, will hold a press conference at noon at the Washington Court Hotel to discuss the next steps for his campaign for D.C. Mayor. Gray will be on the ballot in November's general election, but because there is no Republican nominee in heavily Democratic D.C. he is more than likely to be the District's new mayor.

Stay with Post Local for coverage from both the Fenty and Gray press conferences as soon as they happen. You can also read coverage and more D.C. campaign updates and headlines, on our D.C. politics blog D.C. Wire.

By Washington Post editors  | September 15, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U-Va. will renovate iconic rotunda
Next: Warner Bros. donates $5M to Smithsonian

Comments

But what's next for Sinclair Skinner and Ron Moten?!

Posted by: emcglaughlin | September 15, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Fenty is retiring.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | September 15, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I have the feeling we're going to appreciate him after Gray starts, and want him back to come clean up the mess after four years. He wasn't perfect, but he did more positive things for this city than anyone before him. It sucks that 58,000 voters are either tied to the stubborn special interests that he took on, or else so emotionally needy that they feel they need a "nice" mayor, or whatever, and don't recognize progress when it's shining right in their faces.

Posted by: thebossman | September 15, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Sinclair Skinner will re-take the test for his Engineering License until he passes and Ron Moten will go back to street level crack sales.

I do believe that his video was the nail in Fenty's coffin:

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 15, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@thebossman

Let me guess...you recently moved here, right? White, middle-class DC resident here. The progress you speak of was initiated under Tony Williams. As one other commenter on other article posted, "Williams made sure running this city was a lay up." That's all Fenty did was inherit a city well on the road to progress, complete with a massive budget surplus. Honestly, how could he have screwed that up?? He didn't. But he certainly doesn't deserve credit for NOT messing up the city!

I voted for Gray because Fenty was an arrogant ass who detached himself from the electorate and was entirely too smug. I don't need a "nice guy" mayor. I need one who at least makes the appearance that he is making the hard choices after consulting, reviewing, and listening to, the people that his changes most affect. Part of leading is taking input in from all sides and explaining your ultimate decision to the people who elected you. Fenty, instead, ruled by fiat and abhorred having to explain himself. That's not a public servant. I wanted a mayor who didn't funnel money to his unqualified frat buddies and one who would respond to legitimate press inquiries about his behavior like the humble public *servant* he is supposed to be, not like the shmuck who belittles anyone who questions him. I wanted a mayor who would show up to the worst mass shooting in years in the city and be the man at the top of the food chain that he is supposed to be, instead of tripping over himself to not let it be known he was vacationing in Jamaica.

He and Rhee uprooted the school system. The jury is still out on the effects of that, but any marginal effects being felt right now were because of programs started under Janey, not Rhee. And I'm not entirely convinced a marginal increase in standardized test scores really is the best way to measure school improvement. So if that's the main thing he can hang his hat on....well, it ain't much.

People who whine that "the only way Fenty could have lost is because of big, bad, evil unions and special interests!" just don't know what they are talking about and weren't paying attention. Using security details to clear roads for his bike rides, disappearing on trips to foreign countries paid for by them. There is a long list of reasons to vote against Fenty, and "upsetting the Unions" is pretty low (and not even present on my list!) I am part of no special interest. I voted for him 4 years ago based on his record of constituent services and reaching out to people. And for the past 3 years, I have felt let down. My vote was indeed a vote against Fenty and not for Gray. Gray has 4 years to earn my vote. Let's see what he can do.

Posted by: LetDCVote | September 15, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to King Fenty and don't let the hit you as you leave you kingdom. Please take Peter Nickles, Ron Moten, Gabe Klein, Ron Austin, Neil Albert, Muriel Bowser, Janice Quintana, Michelle Rhee, Valerie Santos, adn Linda Argo along with you.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 15, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse