Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 10:50 PM ET, 11/ 2/2010

Fire at D.C. apartment displaces 21

By Washington Post editors

Update, 10:55 p.m.:

Twenty-one people were displaced from their apartments as a result of the fire, authorities said.

Earlier: 17:25 p.m.:

The fire in the upper floors of a downtown D.C. high-rise apartment building has been put out.

The fire at the Windsor House Apartments at 1444 Rhode Island Ave. NW broke out about 4:40 p.m., said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the D.C. fire and rescue department.

The blaze broke out on the ninth floor and then spread to part of the tenth floor, Piringer said. Dozens of people were evacuated from the building, which is about halfway between 14th and 15th streets Northwest.

At least one person was found trapped and was taken down the back side of the building by a ladder, Piringer said.

"Those were pretty tough conditions up there," he said.

Two people have been transported to a hospital, both with "pretty heavy smoke inhalation," Piringer said. There's no indication of the cause yet.


PH-FIRE.jpg

PH-FIRE-1.jpg

PH-FIRE-2.jpg

(Photos by Marlon Correa/For The Post)

Earlier:

Fire is billowing from the Windsor House apartments on Rhode Island Avenue NW, Capital Business reporter Jonathan O'Connell tells us.

D.C. Fire and EMS are on the scene. Officials are reporting some rescues and some injuries.

Stay with Postlocal.com for more details.

By Washington Post editors  | November 2, 2010; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  DC  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man trapped in pond is rescued
Next: Man dies in Brandywine crash

Comments


check for code volation, sorry for the now homless residents

Posted by: gailharrietesmith8 | November 2, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Just read some of the building ratings on a couple of different sites, it appears that this place was not particularly proactive on fixing things. Wouldn't be shocked if this turned out to be a case of code violation. Walked past when the fire was in full swing, just devastating. Hoping the people at the hospital recover, that people are able to salvage some belongings from the damage, and really hope there were no pets hurt or killed (although I haven't found anything indicating that the building allows pets).

Posted by: carla82 | November 2, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

That building is ground zero for bedbugs in the Mid-Atlantic region so this may have been a blessing in disguise. If you walk by there at night and there is a light on in an apartment you can see the infestation like a fog in the air, scary.

It was once well run by a guy name Tom but is now a he** hole of licentiousness and infestation. I believe it also has the highest rate of herpes infection per capita.

Posted by: SoCali | November 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the DC Fire and EMS workers! They were truly lifesavers and deserve all the credit they can get.

Posted by: PepperDr | November 3, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company