Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 8:03 PM ET, 02/21/2010

Smoke streams from District manhole

By Eric Athas

Power was cut off temporarily to about 900 homes and businesses in Northwest Washington Sunday evening after a problem with a high-voltage line sent smoke streaming from a manhole, authorities said.

The problem occurred about 5: 30 p.m. in the neighborhood around 9th and Upshur Streets NW in the Petworth area of the District.

Pepco spokesman Bob Hainey said power was cut off for about an hour and a half. The cause of the problem in the feeder line could not be learned immediately.

--Martin Weil

By Eric Athas  | February 21, 2010; 8:03 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC  | Tags:  district smoke manhole  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More than 100 firefighters battle blaze in Baltimore
Next: Blaze breaks out in D.C. rowhouse

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company