Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 10:08 PM ET, 05/10/2010

Lights out for 4 hours in NW D.C.

By Erica Johnston

Update, 11:43 p.m.:

Classes were suspended at a District public high school and hundreds of homes and businesses lost power for hours Tuesday when a cable failed in the North Georgetown/ Foxhall area of Northwest Washington, authorities said.

A Pepco spokesman said about 1,400 customers -- which could include single-family houses or large buildings -- lost electricity for as much as four hours after an underground cable failed in the area around 37th Street and Reservoir Road NW.

Rory Pullens, principal of Duke Ellington School for the Arts, said that after students telephoned their parents to report lights out at the school, concerned parents began telephoning, asking that their children be permitted to leave.

Remaining students gathered in the school’s theater until it became clear that power would not be restored quickly. They were sent home about 3:15 p.m., Pullens said in an e-mail.

-- Martin Weil

Power was cut off Monday afternoon to hundreds of homes and businesses in the North Georgetown/ Foxhall area of Northwest Washington after a failure occurred in a buried feeder cable, a Pepco spokesman said.

The area where lights went out for about 1,400 customers for as much as four hours was near Reservoir Road and 37th Street NW, said Pepco spokesman Bob Hainey.

He said the outage persisted for some customers from shortly after noon to about 4:45 p.m. as a result of the need to search “manhole by manhole” for the faulty cable. It was found just south of the Whitehaven Parkway and about a quarter mile north of the Georgetown University Medical Center.

-- Martin Weil

By Erica Johnston  | May 10, 2010; 10:08 PM ET
Categories:  DC  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Truck crashes into Hirshhorn Museum
Next: Bay foundation plans announcement


I live near 37th and Resevoir Road and the power was out once again from about midnight to 1 a.m. again last night. Is this going to continue happening? Has Pepco said that the problem is fixed?

Posted by: SarahMimms | May 11, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company