Posted at 8:20 AM ET, 10/ 5/2010

Man found shot at Va. Metro station

By Eric Athas

UPDATE, 8:20 a.m.: Authorities confirmed that the man found at the Huntington Metro station had been shot.

-- Matt Zapotosky

ORIGINAL POST: A man who had been seriously wounded was found late Monday at the Huntington Metro station in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County, authorities said.

A spokesman for Metro said the man was found on the system's property with an apparent gunshot wound in the stomach area.

He said it was not clear whether the man had been wounded on Metro property or elsewhere.

A spokeswoman for the county police said the man was found about 10:20 p.m. in the Metro station parking lot after police were asked to help in finding someone.

She described the man's injury as life-threatening but said early Tuesday morning that police were not sure if it had been caused by a gunshot.

-- Martin Weil

By Eric Athas  | October 5, 2010; 8:20 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Da-da-da-DA-da-da
Next: D.C. school enrollment up 1 percent

Comments

Outside Huntington is a very seedy area, little old brick 2 and 3 story apt building, falling apart and shady things going on behind them in the parking lots around them. It was once a good place to live. It is also half a block to the seedy Route 1 corridor....drugs and mo' things going on. I am not surprised. I hope camera were on, maybe this cat got shot elsewhere and drove to the Metro Station, who knows.

Posted by: Fred23 | October 5, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

thats gettin near those motels that charge by the hour...

Posted by: slim4 | October 5, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

meanwhile the states attorney general is busy sueing the late charles darwin over evolution.

Posted by: MarilynManson | October 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

The odd thing about the Huntington station is that the neighborhood around the upper station is different from that around the lower station. The upper station has large condo and apartment complexes and a Metro Police station, the lower part is seedier, but there's a new and fairly pricey condo tower across the street. Very, very mixed neighborhood.

Posted by: 303030 | October 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just another day in Northern Vee Aaa

Posted by: 6thsense79 | October 5, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Just another day in Northern Vee Aaa

Posted by: 6thsense79 | October 5, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Land sakes! I thought this sort of thing only happened in Prince Georges County and the predominantly black sections of DC.

checkered1, waterfrontproperty, charlietuna where are you? Why so silent?

Posted by: ceefer66 | October 5, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

huntington is the whitest part of virginia

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 5, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

huntington is the whitest part of virginia

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

huntington is the whitest part of virginia

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Color me naive, but I've always felt safe in this neighborhood. It's a culturally diverse neighborhood, but in no way is this synonymous with shady. I've always found it to be a friendly, family oriented community-- but yes with pockets of areas I would not walk alone in at night. With that said, I'm curious to find out more about this story and will definitely be more aware walking home from Huntington.

Posted by: jams3 | October 5, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

First of all, the Huntington area is a very mixed area of people. I've lived on route 1 since 1990 and I've seen and heard some "seedie" activities, but not to the point where I would fear for my life. No, I'm not surprised that this happened, but it's happening everywhere. I noticed the same where the top part looks real good and the bottom doesn't except for the very tall high rise condo's that only folks with the money can afford. I hope the person (guy) makes it; I don't want to wish nothing bad on anyone, I just kindof think this person was either at the wrong place at the wrong time OR he just brought his problem to the metro, because the entire METRO system is in the news and he didn't want to leave the Huntington Station out of the link....

Posted by: mspisces_64 | October 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Post reporters: if you do followup reporting on this story, I'd like to know whether the gunshot victim was in the upper (N.Kings Hwy) or lower (Huntington) parking lot.

Posted by: InVA1 | October 5, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Very strange. The area around the Huntington metro is ethnically varied, but certainly not seedy.

About the closest thing are a couple of old condos on both sides of the metros, near both of the the 7-11s (yeesh they are everywhere around here), and the neighborhood of single family houses between Kings Highway and Rt 1 on the upper side. The duplexes in the area are generally well maintained and the established neighborhoods are very inviting and friendly on both sides of the metro.

The only thing I can see against the area is the absurd construction going on at the telegraph road interchange making it a real pain to get to and from the area, and the floods on the lower side caused by Fairfax not spending the money to dredge out Cameron Run or build a levee.

The Rt 1 corridor though is not so nice.

Posted by: Toby-R | October 5, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the previous statements. I've owned half a duplex in the Huntington area for years, and never felt unsafe there. It's ethnically diverse, but certainly not seedy, unless you count the two or three homeless people that hang out at the 7-11. Most of the people in those close duplexes are professionals or people who have been in the area for a long time. The people who live there tend to know and look out for each other.

This is a really unfortunate incident, but sadly could have happened anywhere. I hope the Post follows up with more information so we know what transpired.

Posted by: dcn8v | October 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

This is a really unfortunate incident, but sadly could have happened anywhere. I personally know someone who was stabbed while walking outside the Capitol South station. I hope the Post follows up with more information so we know what transpired.

Posted by: dcn8v | October 5, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Give folks a little info and let the rumors begin. First off there is not enough info in this story to actually know what happen. Was the driver shot ON Metro property? Was the driver shot during an attempted robbery? Was the driver shot during an attempted carjacking? Was the driver shot somewhere else and DROVE onto Metro property?

Let's hold off on the inane comments until more information is released.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | October 5, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse