Posted at 5:50 AM ET, 06/14/2010

Two bikes stolen from Fenty home

By Mike McPhate
fenty
Fenty, second from left, rides with a group in Hains Point. (Ricky Carioti/Post)

Thieves have made off with two mountain bikes from D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty’s home in the Crestwood neighborhood of Northwest Washington, according to a report in the Washington Examiner.

On the night of June 3, a group of three males were apparently able to sneak into the mayor’s garage as security officers stood guard nearby, according to a police report cited by the paper. The thieves left two of their own lower-end bikes at the property.

The incident was captured on security camera and at least one officer is facing disciplinary action, the report said.

The mayor is an avid triathlete.

Read the Examiner report.

By Mike McPhate  | June 14, 2010; 5:50 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC  | Tags:  crime, fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pedestrian seriously hurt in Silver Spring
Next: New ice cream flavor: 'Booger'

Comments

wait, reports say the mayor and the police chief have forbidden police to patrol around the house, but now the story says that police were standing guard....which is it?....does the mayor have patrols around the house or not?......read the examiner story for the conflicting reports info....something is fishy here concerning the guard patrols...

Posted by: OldSalt8 | June 14, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

These stolen mountain bikes are stated to be valued at "$300 each". Those are pretty cheap-a$$ mountain bikes. Hard to imagine what kind of hoopties the thieves left behind that were more "low-end" than that. Sounds like BikeShare DC is working more efficiently than Hizzoner dreamed!

Posted by: laboo | June 14, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Where was Vincent Gray and Marion Barry on June 3rd? I mean I'm jus asking....

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | June 14, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

While I'm sorry for the mayor, I'm glad this happened for the citizens of the District. We've had multiple bikes stolen in the past few years, and the police always refused to even come out to make a report -- they told us to file a report over the phone.

While I'm sure the mayor will receive special treatment, maybe he'll be angered enough to make the police take bike theft more seriously.

Posted by: davidgarrettyoung | June 14, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A friend a block away from the mayor's house had their child's bike stolen then as well. Properties within two blocks of 16th Street are exposed to easy in/easy out property crimes on a routine basis. The thiefs probably didn't even know it was the mayor's house.

Posted by: shepDC | June 14, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised his prized road bike wasn't stolen since that bike is the reason for the unnessary police motercade when he bikes through DC.

Posted by: mselmo32 | June 14, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't had your bike stolen in DC, then you just haven't checked on it lately.

Seriously, theft is my number one reason for not riding around town more. Three locks will secure my frame, wheels and seat but the thief can still bend a wheel in frustration. Now I only take my (crappy!) bike to places where I can lock it inside.

Posted by: naaqsso2 | June 14, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Any mayor who sets a taxicab rate at $1.50 per mile deserves to be repeatedly victimized.

Posted by: starclimber9 | June 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I only ride my bike for recreation and, as such, never leave it unattended outdoors. That is just part and parcel to urban living. We have to deal with reality such that it is.

I do not like Fenty and will not be voting for him, however, it is correct that the Mayor dismissed much of his security detail when taking office. That was a mistake. Aside from the bike theft, the safety of his family was at risk. The thieves, per the story, took the bikes from his garage, which, I am going to assume, has access from the residence. His family was as much at risk as his property. Out of respect for the position and the impact that the decisions of the Mayor has on the lives of people, security is something that comes with the job.

Unlike most citizens, Mayor's and Governor's are seen to represent everything that is wrong in areas under their jurisdiction. As such, they can become the target of those who are dissatisfied or disgruntled.

I am grateful that this wasn't some depraved lunitic that gained access to the private space of the Mayor.

Let's hope that the lesson is learned. Don't scapegoat and go off and fire a cop that was ordered to be less intensive in security by his/her superior. Rather, just beef up the security. The Mayor needs to take some personal responsibility for the safety and security of his family.

It is clear that the he is not very popular these days. You don't need a rocket scientist to see that.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

What wonderful news, now he knows what its like to be ripped of by hoodlum kids...

I've had two bikes stolen by these pieces of human waste.

Posted by: kenk3 | June 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the MPD's priorities for officer discipline.

If a bike gets stolen from the Mayor's house on your watch, you get swift disciplinary action.

If you abuse your authority in an obvious "contempt of cop" arrest, or "inadvertently lose" the police radio recordings during a mass arrest, or shoot a child ... nothing.

Posted by: kcx7 | June 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess thieves like to stay in shape to. Maybe they were just testing the new bike path on Penn Ave.

Posted by: tsamm | June 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post sucks. They are supposed to be a majoy newspaper and they let the small Washington Examiner break this story. Kudus to the Washington Examiner.

Posted by: Ward4DC | June 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse