Posted at 6:51 AM ET, 06/23/2010

Metro dancer: 'I do it almost all the time'

By Mike McPhate

It wasn't a stunt, folks.

The earbud-wearing man who earned minor YouTube fame when he got lost in his own boogie oblivion on a Metro train has been identified by the blog We Love D.C. And no, the Broadway-inspired moves that inspired giggles and applause from other riders appears not to have been put on for the cameras.

Meet Bob Grannan, a bespectacled leasing agent who's lived in D.C. for two years.

When he enters a Metro train, Grannan says, he's just gotta dance.

"The trains can be really boring if you just sit there, and the music I listen to is not the type to let you just sit down," Grannan told the blog in an interview. The session on YouTube, he says, was inspired by the musical Hairspray.

Grannan said he can't recall every detail of the particular dance because he does it "all the time."

"It seems like a shame so many people get on there, take a seat and shut down or just get frustrated. Especially people in a rush," Grannan said. "It's funny to me; they're stressed out about being late or on time to something while on the train, like that can help them in any way."

Read the full interview.

-- Mike McPhate

By Mike McPhate  | June 23, 2010; 6:51 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Traffic and Transportation  | Tags:  metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beat the heat, watch the World Cup, and have an A.M. cocktail
Next: Annapolis offers same-sex benefits

Comments

There are insane homeless guys who do the same thing. Does a YouTube video make this guy any better? I'd rather just have a nice quiet, untroubled ride. Just because I'm sitting doesn't mean I'm stressed or frustrated. That's quite an assumption.

Posted by: akchild | June 23, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I've got enough of a problem with people not moving from the doors to let me on because they want to be first off at their stop. I don't need to deal with dancing morons on top of it. Metro is public transit, not your living room. Act like you're in public or don't come out.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | June 23, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I am sure this dude is not dancing on the green, red or orange line.

If funny how Metro police allows the dancing white dude to express himself but will arrest, and some times beat an African American kid between the ages of 11 and 17 for simliar practices.

Posted by: B4DarkDC | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Just looks like another nut case to me.

Let me tell you about the woman I saw carrying a poodle in a pink sequined tutu on the Metro. She got on at Metro Center, got off at Largo. None of the Metro people tried to stop her.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | June 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"Let me tell you about the woman I saw carrying a poodle in a pink sequined tutu on the Metro."

That could have been a service dog, such as a therapy dog recommended by a mental health professional. Service dogs are permitted.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | June 23, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

B4DarkDC, I was thinking the same thing. Had Marquis or Donte stood and acted like a fool, you better believe the Metro police would have been called and action would have been taken.

Posted by: clardwa | June 23, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I am sure this dude is not dancing on the green, red or orange line.

Posted by: B4DarkDC | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

You again, you claim race in every article you post in you racist troll.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 23, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

He needs better jazz hands.

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | June 23, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse