Posted at 5:00 PM ET, 06/11/2010

Software glitch leads to bad tax bills

By Washington Post editors

UPDATED:

A third-party software glitch at D.C.'s Office of Tax and Revenue caused the city to send out erroneous income tax bills to residents Wednesday.

Natalie Wilson, a District tax office spokeswoman, said officials are working to identify who was affected by the error, which resulted in some residents not being properly credited for their personal income tax withholdings for 2009.

Taxpayers who received a bill in error are asked to call the office’s Customer Service Center at (202) 727-4TAX (4829).

But dispatchers at the call center said late Friday that computers had been down for much of the day. "We're praying it'll be back up by Monday," one dispatcher told The Post.

-- Derek Kravitz

This post has been updated.

1:29 P.M.
D.C. residents question property income tax bills

The D.C. tax office is fielding phone calls Friday from residents who say they received annual property income tax bills higher than usual -- much higher in some cases.

Natalie Wilson, a spokeswoman for the District's Office of Tax and Revenue, said she had heard from people who said they had received letters this week indicating they had past-due taxes, despite having paid those bills, or bills charging them far more than normal. One man told the Post he received a tax bill for more than $7,000 after paying an $8,000 tax bill in mid-February. (The $7,000 tab included hundred of dollars in late penalties and interest.)

"We're researching and we'll know more soon," Wilson said.

At least one tax preparer in Maryland said he had received several phone calls Friday from clients.

-- Derek Kravitz

By Washington Post editors  | June 11, 2010; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  DC  | Tags:  d.c., d.c. tax office, property tax, tax
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 5 kids in car with suspected drunk driver
Next: Officer found not guilty of perjury

Comments

Check the letters for Harriet Walters' fingerprints.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Check the letters for Harriet Walters' fingerprints.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 11, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sent me a bill for $2100 for past due tax payments the check for which cleared my bank last month.

Called the number listed 87 times today and never received anything other than a busy signal.

DCRA and OTR can only be described in two words: Totally Inept.

After 33 years as a DC resident, I'm truly weary of flushing my tax dollars down the toilet.

Posted by: RiverRat56 | June 11, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

This is part of the District's plan to deal with the budget woes. If we can get just 10% of the people to pay the erronous bills...

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 11, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I was one of the victims that recieved this erronous tax bill. I have never owed taxes like the letter I recieved. I was due for a refund and they sent a letter stating that their was an error on my taxes and they corrected. The letter stated I owe them $6600 and if I did not pay by June 20th the would attach an additional $1200 plus 15% collection fees. I said this is crazy. I immediately called my tax preparer because I knew this was crazy. I am already have a difficult time because of the recession. Come on DC let's get it together?

Posted by: rgeraldaustin | June 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse