Posted at 10:38 PM ET, 09/13/2010

Owner of attacked dog supports police

By Erica Johnston

Police have a new supporter in the Adams Morgan dog shooting case Sunday: the woman whose Bich-poo was attacked, sparking the whole mess.

Sheila Martins, 53, of Adams Morgan, said she was walking Sushi, a Bichon-poodle mix, on a leash down 18th Street in the middle of the Adams Morgan festival when the dog went to sniff what looked like a pit bull passing by, also on a leash. The other dog, whose owner has described it as a Shar-Pei mix named Parrot, attacked Sushi, Martins said, and a scramble ensued to separate the two.

Martins said she herself tried to pull Sushi away, but she “couldn’t do it.” Others, including police officers, also tried and failed, she said. It wasn’t until a man came and lifted Sushi directly up that the fight was broken up, she said. At that time, she said, the owner of the dog that looked like a pit bull was laying on top of his pet.

( On The Crime Scene: Should police have shot Parrot? )

Martins said she went to get help for Sushi and did not see the events that led up to the other dog being shot. Those events are disputed. Police and some witnesses have said an officer tried to control the dog by pinning it on the ground, but the dog continued to snap.

The officer eventually tossed that dog over a stairwell railing leading to The Brass Knob and shot it as it tried to charge back up, police and some witnesses have said. Many more witnesses — including the dog’s owner — have said the situation was under control after the dog fight was broken up, and police unnecessarily separated the dog and its owner, then shot the dog as it simply tried to regain its footing from being thrown down into the stairwell.

Though she did not see it, Martins said she believes “police did the right thing because at that moment, the dog, it wasn’t controllable.”

Martins said that after she finished talking to police, she took Sushi to an animal hospital, where he stayed overnight. He has two broken bones and a large gash, she said, and she will find out Tuesday whether he needs surgery.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Erica Johnston  | September 13, 2010; 10:38 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NASA delays Virginia rocket launch
Next: Lori's A.M. Buzz: All over but the voting

Comments

"Martins said she went to get help for Sushi and did not see the events that led up to the other dog being shot."

Note to Matt: This is not news. Find witnesses, please. This story stinks to high heaven and the Chief and Mayor are in lockstep with their footsoldiers.

Posted by: junkpileaddy | September 13, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Can you find anyone other than the owner of the other involved animal who supports this killing? Multiple people have reported seeing "Sushi" instigate the fight, and yet you post this nonsense based on conjecture and emotional attachment, rather than facts.

Posted by: WaPoReader13 | September 13, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why you people would bring a dog to such a crowded festival.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 14, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

@RepealObamacareNow:

The dog owner lives in the neighborhood. There was no prohibition against dogs at the fair.

Posted by: junkpileaddy | September 14, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Adams-Morgan have those CC TV Cameras? Has anyone taken a look at the footage (assuming it's saved and this incident was captured)?

Posted by: EFroh | September 14, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

One question: is the Bich-Poo still alive? Large vet bills? Missing a limb, perhaps? Because if the Sharpei-mix (not to be confused with a Pit Bull - please don't start spreading rumors that it's a pit bull, that breed doesn't need any more bad press) was so aggressive that the only way to subdue him was with a bullet, then the Bich-Poo should not have made it out of the skirmish unscathed.

What happened to officers carrying mace? Do you mean to tell me they open fire on a drunk person that gets in a fight, after tossing them down a stairwell? Because we know there is plenty of that going on in Adams Morgan.

The officer was irresponsible and made a terrible judgement call and should be punished accordingly. I feel no safer with officers like that on the streets.

Posted by: ekahuna | September 14, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

How in the world is this lady spewing eye witness accounts when she blatently said she didn't SEE it???? You can't assume the dog would just start "going around biting people" if he was let loose... she was obviously still shaken by the experience with her dog, but that does NOT mean this animal deserved to die. The officer went WAY overboard. I can't believe people are taking this lady's word about what happened when she DIDN'T SEE IT.

Posted by: can_can | September 14, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Fire the cop!

Posted by: deathmuzeta | September 14, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

As the owner of the dog that was attacked and injured, this woman has a right to give her account of the incident and her opinion of the attacking dog's behavior, to the extent that she witnessed it. And the article clearly states what she witnessed and what she did not. So, please cease with your ad hominem attacks on her. Interviewing this woman and including her account in the paper, which was missing yesterday, as I noted in my comment then, is correct reporting.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 14, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

At the VERY least we can all agree that this police officer used poor judgement in a stressful situation. I wonder what would have happened if this was a fight involving people? Get him off the street and in an appropriate position that will not require him to make split second (if it was even that) decisions while weilding a firearm.

Posted by: postreader62 | September 14, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry that the dogs were injured and killed but let's look a little closer Ms. Martin's story.

Ms. Martin allowed her dog to approach a strange dog (which she says in the article she “could tell like how aggressive the dog was”). Why would you allow your dog to approach it then?

Ms. Martin then says she was unable to pull her own dog away. So she did not have control of her own dog?

She also says that when she left, the owner of the other dog was "laying on top of his pet." Sounds like he was under control. Did that owner have bites from that encounter? I would think that an "aggressive" dog that has just been fighting would bite anyone holding him, but I will admit that I have no fact to support that suppostion.

And, really, there is no other way to subdue a dog (that may have already been under it's owner's control) than shooting it in the middle of a large crowd?

It really sounds like there was a lot of bad judgment used that day on the part of a lot of people.

Posted by: IndolentCin | September 14, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: IndolentCin | September 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

If you have an aggressive dog, do you take it to a festival unmuzzled and allow people/other animals to approach?

Posted by: IndolentCin | September 14, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Bunch of crazy people trying to support the dog that got shot. Obviously it was a vicious dog.

The police officer got chewed, the small dog got chewed up. Get real people.

Your support of vicious animals is just plain stupid. So it got shot! Got rid of another dangerous animal.

Good job to the police for keeping people safe from such a vicious dog! THAT'S what our police is there for as well.

Posted by: stinkyliberals | September 14, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

It know stuff happens with Dogs and up have to deal with it with a good clear head! The Cop was Dead Wrong to shoot the dog he had all ready Throwed the Pit Name Carrot down a stair well on his back I think that was Justice Enif the dog was not going to get up from being thrown on concret stairs! That was over Kill on has part to shoot after throwing the on concret stairs ! I Think this Cop should be Held accountable for has Over Kill !

Posted by: enniskatherine | September 14, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Cue the lawyers. One dog is dead, and the other has broken bones and a large gash. I'm an attorney, and it's my experience that folks start to behave differently once they get served with papers, pay legal bills, and face sizeable judgments. Whether you are a dog owner or a police officer, you don't want to pay lawyers a $10,000 retainer just to get started. Dog bite losses in the US exceed one billion dollars per year, with about $300 million covered by homeowners insurance. Not a fun way to spend your time and money.

Posted by: Dave115 | September 14, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Whenever I threw my ex-wife down a stairwell, she would charge back up at me snapping. She was also a (w)itch.

Posted by: cibor | September 14, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

ekahuna and all of you others out there who obviously aren't paying attention.

The dog was a Pit. Despite the fact that the foster lied about it yesterday (and then cleared it up this morning on Fox News), and despite the fact that the dogs own adoption webpage has it listed as a Pit (see below), the dog was a pit bull. End of story.

The only person to blame here is that oblivious foster kid, Aaron who had no business bringing a pit bull with unknown temperment (but a genetic propensity) to a packed street fair.

He couldn't control his dog, the police did it for him, and for the rest of us.

I hope the adoption company who gave the dog to that dumb kid to foster presses charges against him for his idiocy.

Posted by: Nosh1 | September 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

i've owned small breeds and powerful breeds (currently a german shepherd female, dominant personality). The problem i've seen with a lot of city small dog owners is that they think their dog has the right to sniff and go everywhere it wants, even around bigger dogs.

I tell people not to walk their dog over to mine because she's dominant/aggressive to animals while leashed (but fine in the dogpark). I move aside when they come towards me or just turn around. Small dogs are genetic freakshows, created mainly to be housepets and lapdogs. In the wild they are food. They invite trouble.

Small dog owners are just as culpable as large dog owners when there are pet fatalities. Not all dogs have to "meet." Move along, next time, lady.

Posted by: Please_Fix_VAs_Roads | September 14, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm a dog foster mom and this incident upsets me beyond words. If the dog bit another dog and was then separated, the owners should have dealt with it. I'm not saying the shar pei/pitbull wasn't at fault. But WHY the F did the cop have to get involved? Did he really think he could calm the dog down by manhandling him? If you threw me down a stairwell, Mr. Jerk, I'd come charging back up too.

This keeps happening. Police keep shooting DC dogs. WHEN is the punishment going to fit the crime?

Posted by: JulyAugust | September 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Please_Fix_VAs_Roads: AMEN. I move aside for little white dogs. She thinks they are rabbits.

Posted by: JulyAugust | September 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Her dog started it so she supports police killing the other dog? Why did you print this garbage? I walk my dog every day, and I can tell you that any dog owner with half a brain will remove his or her dog from an oncoming dog he or she does not know because you don't know what might happen and sometimes from a dog you know because you know how dangerous a situation can be: I have a neighbor who has a very sweet boxer, who was great friends with my Border Collie, who is now deceased, but hates my Australian Shepherd, whom she has tried to fight every single time they've been within spitting distance of each other! A dog who reacts to the behavior of another dog is neither a violent offender nor a killer: he is simply protecting himself and his owner! A dog can also dislike other dogs and be a perfectly great pet, such as my mother's dog, who is as sweet as can be, but because of her background (she was a rescue), does not like other dogs. This woman used poor judgment at the very least, and blaming the other dog for her dog's behavior and her stupidity makes it that much worse. I had hoped she at least felt partly responsible and sorry about her part in this: obviously she is oblivious to the fact that her lack of good sense caused the death of this dog!

Posted by: agrippamom1 | September 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What a crock! If a pit bull (or any other 70 lbs plus dog such as a Sheppard or a Boxer, or a Chow) actually "attacked" a Bischon-Poodle mix there would be little left to "separate." It's likely that most of Suchi's injuries came from the owner panicking and yanking her dog away from the pit.

If this were an Akita or a Chow or some other large bread, two things would be certain, the police wouldn't have shot the dog and the media wouldn't have reported the incident.

Posted by: tkoho | September 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

A lot of rush to judgment by pit bull mix supporters before we have all the facts. I still don't think we have full information, but it is becoming more clear to me that Parrot's owner's story is not adding up.

DCist reported that the owner's "spokesperson" said that Parrot's owner had him for "almost a month." How then could he say he has no bite history? Sure, no bite history for the one month he'd cared for Parrot. Also, on Fox 5 news, the owner claims he was not bitten at all, but when the camera showed his hands, he had bite marks. Huh? I don't see him as a credible witness because of these odd discrepancies and his emotional nature.

Also, I don't know which source has been saying Parrot is a Shar Pei mix, but by appearances he was definitely more pit bull.

Finally, we now know from the bichon mix owner what she saw of the dog fight. We needed this piece. Sushi required stitches and has a couple of broken bones that may or may not need surgery. She claims that Sushi was sniffing Parrot when Parrot attacked. I tend to believe this, but even if you don't, Parrot was not socialized enough to let go of Sushi on his own and required brute force to get him off Sushi.

Last thing, let's not malign the MPD. We don't know all the details. It's plausible that the dog was so vicious that the police acted to prevent the dog from attacking anyone else.

Posted by: Blinkie | September 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with agrippamom1. I own a large breed dog, and I have to protect him from smaller breed dogs, because owners are lack in training/discipline. He has bitten by small dogs on numerous occasions. I don't use a retractable leash, and will cross the street if I see oncoming dogs who are pulling their owners. People need to be prepared to separate dogs if there is an incident. The police officer was wrong, if the owner had his dog on a leash and was calming him down. The police didn't need to put their hands on him at all. I've seen the picture of the police with their knee, bodies on the dog. How do you get from that to throwing a dog down a stairwell? That is abuse, and should be dealt with as such.

Posted by: kab6 | September 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Blinkie 12:58 p,

A rush to judgment. Sure there was a rush to judgment, by the MPD office who shot a dog during a crowded street festival and by all of the panicky people who have absolutely no first or secondhand knowledge of large dogs.

Before you try to call people out about their biases, you should check your own at the door.

Posted by: tkoho | September 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Sheila Martins, 53, of Adams Morgan, said she was walking Sushi, a Bichon-poodle mix, on a leash down 18th Street in the middle of the Adams Morgan festival when the dog went to sniff what looked like a pit bull passing by, also on a leash. The other dog, whose owner has described it as a Shar-Pei mix named Parrot, attacked Sushi."

So now we know what really happened - she wasn't controlling her dog. Neither of my dogs would tolerate a strange dog approaching that closely and would react exactly the same way, as would many dogs.

Posted by: thesmithgirl | September 14, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Really? A pitt attacks a Bichon mix and the Bichon mix is alive?

The Bichmutt owner "cannot" separate the dog but some random stranger can? And then this person flees the scene but is considered an eyewitness to the interesting part of the story - the part where DC cops once again get gun happy?

Come on.

The Post is a rag but this is really just ridiculous.

I have a Bichon and they can be sassy. So can poodles.

As another owner of a small white dog who did not actually see the events I DO NOT support the police, and call this excessive force.

Print that as a story please, it has as much standing as the rest.

Posted by: randomguy123 | September 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Just more proof that the OWNER was at fault; something all you pit bull apologists can never bring yourselves to admit, because that would mean admitting that pit bulls can be dangerous sometimes.

Posted by: bugmenot | September 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The only reason people keep saying this isn't news is because the dog owner does not agree that the pit bull was a perfect little angel. If she was saying the initial attack wasn't that bad you'd be parading this article all around the internet. But unfortunately it mentions how her dog's leg was brutally attacked so you have to shout it down.

Posted by: bugmenot | September 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@bugmenot:
BOTH of the OWNERS were at fault - BOTH of them failed to control their LEASHED pets. BOTH owners admitted they allowed strange dogs to approach each other, and it was admitted that BOTH dogs had wounds. BOTH are responsible for the fight.

You are right - as BOTH dogs were involved, it was irresonsible of BOTH owners to bring their animals to a public event. As they BOTH could not control their animals, BOTH animals should have been left home. (or in some sick world, BOTH dogs should have been shot by Mr. PoPo).

The justification of the shooting is still open for discussion. And the official police report is contradicted by a witness. I withhold judgment until more facts are in.

Posted by: Greent | September 14, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------
Great point, thanks. I get pretty tired of other dog owners bringing their dogs over to 'meet' mine when I'm trying to get my dog to do her business. 'Oh, he's real friendly,' lots of them say. So what?Having your dog sniff every other dog it runs across is not some sort of moral imperative. If you want your dog to socialize, take it to a dog park, or at least have enough common sense to know when it is and is not appropriate to allow your dog near another dog.

I don't condone the shooting, btw. I read the situation like this: dog is aggressive. Police officer steps in and acts aggressively, attempts to show domination of dog (always a terrible idea for many breeds of dogs, no matter how 'friendly' they are), dog sees this as an act of aggression (duh), and acts aggressively towards the officer. Dog gets shot. The end. Bad situation all around, but I wasn't in that cop's shoes.

Posted by: pswift00 | September 14, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Large dog owners and especially pit owners: If you must take your dog to events attended by large groups of people and kids - please put a muzzle on your dog! I shudder to think what would have happened if a little kid reached out to pet the pit bull/sharpei mixed dog.

Posted by: SPUD2 | September 14, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me how the public always says "a pit bull like dog attacked my dog" People please stop it, the breed already has a bad rep due to irresponsible owners, and stereotypical myths, similar to racial profiling.

On the story at hand, alot of small breed owners, that happen to be some of the most feistiest breeds, tend to think their dog is always the victim. As responsible owners you know not to let your dog get near a random dog in passing, hence the face to face most likely causes an attack, and if one dog is provoked, it cant say "hey stop sniffing my @ss" he says it by snapping or growling. People need to understand dogs are not human and dont react like humans in such manners.

Now with chaos from random people trying to break up the fight and a fake superhero police pinning the dog to the ground, furthermore increased the dogs natural instinct to PROTECT himself. In my opinion the dog should have never been thrown, and shot by this police wanna be superhero. once the dogs were seperated the owners should have taken control.

But hey who am I? Im just a PROUD, responsible owner of an AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER with an opinion.

Posted by: reggieross | September 14, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This was a pit according to it's listing on Petfinders. And since pits are mauling and killing in numbers unlike any other breed in history, the police were right in shooting it. Pits don't stop once they snap and they are shot on a regular basis because they continue to attack.
www.pitattacksbystate.blogspot.com
www.DogsBite.ORG, the site the pit nutters, dogmen, and breeders don't want you to see. Prevent the Deed and Save Lives by Regulating the Breed. Too many families have had to attend closed casket funerals because of pit bulls. Denial doesn't change the genetics, the selective breeding, the bloodlines of pits, it only results in more families in ruin from medical bills if they are lucky enough to survive a pit attack.

Posted by: PitsR4Fools | September 14, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I say "Yay!" to the policeman who shot this demon-spawned breed of an animal. Good job! Now, one less aggressive breed for those who feel they need them. Just go get a gun if you need protection and get a permit. You can do that now in DC.....lol

Posted by: stinkyliberals | September 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The dog did not have to be shot. That was someone's baby. Like if or not. What if that had been 2 teenage boys in a scuffle? Would the cop throw one down a flight of stairs and then shoot him. Come on humans....have a little humanity. Officer Fike should be ashamed of himself. There are too many cases of police taking the easy way out of a situation. I've seen all sort of personalities in different breed of dogs. Just like people, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Posted by: pepper123 | September 14, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pepper123 | September 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pepper123 | September 14, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"attacked dog" -- From what the eyewitnesses say this ladies poodle attacked the pit bull first so of course she is going to agree with the police

Posted by: hartattack | September 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hartattack | September 14, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

All eyewitness accounts seem to agree that the smaller dog started the altercation. Had the owners maintained control and space around their dogs, this most likely would not have happened. I see a lot of ignorant people who are fixated on blaming the breed of the dog. Is it really so unconcerning to you that this police officer threw the dog down a stairwell and shot it in front of children. It seems to me the only clear act of violence was the actions taken by the police officer. The dogs were being dogs, anyone would be hard pressed to find a dog (irregardless of breed) that would be certain to get along with every other dogs out there. Anyone who condemns an entire breed is just showing their own ignorance.

Posted by: elysas | September 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"BOTH of the OWNERS were at fault...."

And let's stop modifying the story, unless you are now disputing that too. Nobody "forced the pit bull to be sniffed by a strange dog." No "fiesty" dog annoyed it forcing it to attack. It was simply taken to a crowded event that it could not handle.

Where is the Rescue League's apology for creating this situation? They are the ones demanding perfect hindsight out of everyone else.

Posted by: bugmenot | September 14, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"All eyewitness accounts seem to agree that the smaller dog started the altercation. "

This is patently FALSE. Please stop lying.

Posted by: bugmenot | September 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Just read on another site that this officer has shot pit bulls before. Don't know how true it is though as everyone posts anonymously. And bugmenot...Eyewitness accounts state that the mutt poodle attacked parrot not sniffed him

Posted by: hartattack | September 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have to wonder if anyone reads the article. It as not a pit bull, the "officer" was not bitten, (shar-pei mix) the owner was not bitten, no other people were bitten, the aggressor dog (poodle) was not hurt, there were a lot more witnesses that say contrary to the police story. The dog was not helped after it was shot. Dead dogs are often destroyed before they can be examined for evidence. In this case it would be to see if it had broken bones ( destroys charging story which only two people claim to have seen) and the trajectory of the bullet( at least one witness states the dog was dazed and facing away)

Posted by: drblott | September 14, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Dog shot. Delusional pit bull owners leap to dog's defense. News at 11.

Same breed, same story over and over.

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god you people are delusional I give up. Feel free to move on to your next excuse...maybe another dog attacked the poodle and ran away really fast, framing the pit bull.

Probably one of those greyhounds they move real quick.

Posted by: bugmenot | September 14, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Geez you people on here commenting need to get a grip!!! How can you compare a dog with humans? Dogs are animals. And in DC, they are considered personal property. This is not a killing, this is a situation brought under control by a Police Officer who felt that the dog was a danger. All you Monday Morning Quarterbackers don't know the first thing about Police work, so, stop your whining and go on with your lives. You as if all act as if this Officer murdered someone.

Posted by: Chazo | September 14, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Geez you people on here commenting need to get a grip!!! How can you compare a dog with humans? Dogs are animals. And in DC, they are considered personal property. This is not a killing, this is a situation brought under control by a Police Officer who felt that the dog was a danger. All you Monday Morning Quarterbackers don't know the first thing about Police work, so, stop your whining and go on with your lives. You all act as if this Officer murdered someone.

Posted by: Chazo | September 14, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

To pick sides in a pit vs poodles debate is ridiculous. Dog behavior is about the dog and it's training. There are unsocialized unstable poodles. I dont care for either breed.

Also, if you don't recognize the approaching dog / owner don't allow your dog to sniff it or near it. HELLO.

I appreciate all sides here, but dog owners are notoriously biased to their dog. They fail to recognize behaviors in their own pets that lead to bad situations, therefore, their pet is right the other owner's pet wrong.

Posted by: badphish | September 14, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@ "Yes god forbid your dog gets sniffed by another dog at a crowded street fair. Don't go walking around on a busy street festival if that's such a problem. It's downright irresponsible to take a dog into that environment if he would react dangerously to a "strange dog approaching."

Not everyone wants to meet your little dog, and you certainly should not let your dog just walk up to other dogs on leash to sniff them. You must not know dogs if you think a dog on it's leash is safe to just approach. 1) Make sure the dog's owners approves and says it is OK for your dogs to meet. 2) Make sure the other dog is aware of your dog and does not get startled.

That poodle owner sounds like the typical idiot small dog owner who thinks her precious little joy should be shared with everyone and meet every dog. Most dog bites are from small insecure dogs. My dog just got bit on the nose 2 days ago by some small breed who's owner INSISTED it was OK if they said "hello". HE initiated the encounter too. Gee, too bad I didn't have my gun.

Posted by: sundey | September 14, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Killing animals (or not) is a different philosophy on Life that you either don't agree with or haven't considered. Either of which is fine. Maybe your grip is a little too firm.

Posted by: badphish | September 14, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Summary:

Idiot guy brings a Pit Bull to a festival. The Pit (Shar - Pei my butt) attacks and badly injures another dog.

Police shoot the uncontrollable Pit Bull.

Posted by: jpost2000 | September 14, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The cop overreacted, that's for sure. If the woman let her dog approach the Pit, then she's crazy too. BUT -- there is a bigger issue here. After having had a pit bull come charging some 15 feet after my leased dog (25 lbs Puggle) that was in his own yard and after having a friend recount the unprovoked Pit attack of her 12 year old Golden Retriever, I decided to do some research on the breed and similar incidents. I was shocked to see page after page detailing attacks on both pets and people. I once argued that these sorts of incidents were not the result of the breed, but simply the conditioning and treatment they receive from abusive or neglectful owners. While a certain percentage of attacks are probably a result of these things, the truth is, the breed, in general, has a propensity for unprovoked aggression. Because of this, a number of cities have put in place significant restrictions on Pit ownership and their day to day handling. I am in favor of DC doing the same. Requiring the breed to be muzzled when not on its own property would be a good start. I'm not sure what it takes for people to realize what a huge liability Pit and Pit-mixes are.

Posted by: WxMan3 | September 14, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

The man doing foster care for the dog should have more training and carry a muzzle. Too many dogs and too many really ding dong owners with no common sense are flooding this city.Also, the feeling of, I am entitled and my dog is really special...is not good for the dogs. Perhaps, police should not attend unless people bite people or bite dogs or even bite the police!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | September 14, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how many ignorant people post on things they don't have a clue about. First off the poster who claims if you dog can't handle being sniffed is a violent dog is without an ounce of sense. Please do some reasearch on dog behavior and stop comparing dogs to people because you are too lazy to learn. A dog snapping at another dog when his butt is sniffed is compared to when a person invades your personal space and you say excuse me. They are not people they are dogs, yet this does not mean they are not family members! Pit bulls only get a bad rap becuase when they are challenged they don't lose. So it obviously has to be the pit mix's fault becuase the other dog was injuried. So by that logic I can threaten anyone larger than me without reprecution. I may get beaten up but it will always be their fault.

Posted by: MGS75 | September 14, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Several witnesses on the DCist (where the story initially broke) dispute the bichon-poodle mix's account that the sharpei mix started the fight. They say that the bichon-poodle bit first and was attached to the sharpei mix's face, in which case the "attacked dog" would be the sharpei mix. How do you know that the owner of the bichon mix is being truthful that her dog was only sniffing the other dog and not biting, barking or growling at it? Is there any evidence that it was attacked first and that it was unprovoked? If not, then the headline should read "Bichon-Poodle Owner Supports Police in Dog Shooting" or the like for the sake of accuracy in reporting.

Posted by: patuxent331 | September 14, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Unprovoked aggression by pit bulls? Here we go again, you obviously didn't do complete analysis. What is provoked aggression? Guess what once you learn dog behavior you will understand that all the provocation it takes is a stare and body posture. This is how dogs communicate and small dogs are treated like humans more than larger breeds so they are allowed to display this behavior becuase small dog owners in larger part don't train their dog appropriately. They are small and cute so don't deserve discipline right. I can't ignore the fact that not only should the smaller dogs owner is at fault but the pit mix should have recognized these signs before the event so both owners are at fault. However this being the case this gun happy cop over stepped his authority in his zeal to appease his adrenaline happy appetite. Why would he take control of the dog if the owner already had control?

Posted by: MGS75 | September 14, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patuxent331 | September 14, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that the police report states that the entire incident lasted a period of 1 whole minute. 60 seconds it took this cop to come in assess the situation, attempt to figure out what was going on, jump on the dog pinning him to the ground, then pick him up by the neck and throw him down a stairwell & then shoot him. Wow!! That's a LOT to do in 1 minute. Maybe if he had taken a few extra seconds to actually assess the situation he would have realized what was going on and this poor pitbull would not have been unjustly shot and killed.
Eyewitness accounts state that the poodle had persistantly attacked the pit bull several times without a response from the pit bull. The last time the poodle latched on to the pit bull's face and that is when the pit bull snapped at the poodle (as he should have). The police report states that the pit bull had blood all over its nose which would corroborate the reports that the poodle had attacked the pit bull and was latched on to his face. The pit bull was bleeding so had obvious injuries. None of the officers in this case were bitten. The cop that shot the dog filed a report for scratches which could have come from the concrete when he was pinning the dog to the ground. He refused treatment so I have a hard time believing it could have been that bad.
Chief you should be EMBARRASSED by your officers. They are a disgrace to humanity. If the roles were reversed and the poodle was shot for "attacking another dog" people would be rioting in the streets. It's a shame that people don't better understand the true pit bull breed. They were the number one breed of dog in the U.S. for the entire 60's and 70's and they were often referred to as the "babysitter or nanny" because they are absolutely phenomenal with kids and with people. Very few pit bulls ever attack people, but when it does happen it gets a lot of press. The breed with the most dog bites in the US for the past several years is the labrador. The pit bull doesn't even make the top five on the list on frequency of bites. You never hear about the other breeds of dogs attacking. The main reason why people decided to train pit bulls to fight other dogs and originally bulls was because they would never turn on a person & bite them. I'm not saying they won't attack another dog because they are definitely prone to be dog aggressive as that has been bred into them, but they are rarely human aggressive. My two cents -- hopefully it'll help educate at least one person out there.
My pit bull has been attacked twice -- once by a chiweenie and once by a hound. The first attack she curled up in a ball and started shaking. The second attack which was pretty vicious, she ran and hid behind me and cowered. I would trust her with anyone and anything (puppy, little dog, cat, etc) -- my german shepherd I wouldn't trust around anyone who doesn't know him. And I NEVER trust any little dogs. I've been bitten twice & both times by little dogs.

Posted by: vthokienc | September 14, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT.
Seeing how they can't protect us from human on human crime....

Posted by: myworld2007 | September 14, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Why do the cops always use deadly force with dogs? Couldn't they taser the dog or do something short of killing it?

Posted by: lakeijoy | September 14, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I feel both dog owners were at fault for the fight between the dogs. Would I take my foster APBT to a street festival knowing there might be other dogs? Not after only a month with the dog to judge its temperament. Would I allow my Bichon mix to go up to strange dogs? No way not without checking with the handeler of the other dog.

I have had my foster for a year now and still would not take her into a crowd where other dogs might be just for the simple reason she is dog reactive. She likes some on sight and doesn't like others. She is awesome with people and cats though and adores kids. My older APBT (Service Animal)I would and do take but whenever I see another dog I move to the side with mine and make them sit until the other animal is out of range for the simple reason that there are too many dog owners out there that have no clue about dog behavior or training and think their viscous little pooch is so cute it can't be a danger.

From eyewitness accounts the Pit mix had his dog under control therefore the police officer was in the wrong for butting in and doing more than taking a report of the incident. Aren't they trained that when a suspect is subdued deadly force is not acceptable?

Posted by: Prairiewolf | September 15, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@buge:
I said: "BOTH of the OWNERS were at fault...."

You sid: Um, no. If your dog cannot handle being sniffed by another dog it does not belong in public, let alone at a crowded street fair where you cannot control it, end of story. Only the pit bull owner (or caretaker) is at fault. "

um, no. Actually NO. BOTH owners were at fault for failing to control their pets.

NO dogs should be intriduced unless BOTH owners agree, and the introduction is appropriately handled so BOTH dogs get the benefit of a proper introduction, and BOTH owners maintain control during the intro (meaning 100% attention on the dogs).

If your dog doesn't like being sniffed, the DOG should NOT be forced to by another dogs inattentive unprepared owner. All dogs do not like all dogs.

Both owners failed. And the cop failed as well. One minute to come in, take over a situation and shoot a dog. Ahh PoPo.

Never let your dog meet a cop, I guess.

Posted by: Greent | September 15, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Greent, My dog does not have the responsibility of allowing all other dogs to sniff it nor should it be subjected to it without my concent so I can be prepared to take matters in hand. Especially i=f as some witnesses said the bichon mix was trying to snip and not sniff.I have as much right to take my dog into public as any small dog owner does but I make sure I keep myself between it and other dogs and take the precaution of making it sit until the other dog is out of the area. This is all a part of socialization for a dog, if the has been put in situations to test its behavior and has shown no aggression it is a moot point that it does not like other dogs sniffing it. I do question having the dog only a month before going to such a large event though unless it had been temperament tested by the rescue.

Rescues do the best they can with what little they get in donations. I myself have been independently fostering and trying to place one dog in my care without that help until the last month and believe me it isn't easy.

Posted by: Prairiewolf | September 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Eye witness accounts state it was the poodle (it is well known that poodles bite more than any large or bully breed dog) who bit Parrot first. The poodle’s owner, Sheila Martin, needs to come forward with the TRUTH. She should have never allowed her dog to approach another dog without 1st getting the approval from the other dog's handler. She obviously thinks her dog has done no wrong when in fact it was her dog that expedited the death of Parrot She must be held accountable for her dog’s actions. Get the poodle’s owner on a witness stand ..maybe then she will tell the truth.

Posted by: Tee3 | September 15, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

To quote Sheila Martins “I could tell like how aggressive the dog was,” she said. “If he would start running around, he would attack somebody.”
So why did she she allow her poodle to go up to "this aggressive dog"? Why did she not have her poodle on a leash? Her comment that Parrot would attack somebody if he started running around is a very ignorant statement and can only cause further harm. Parrot's death is the fault of not only the police officer, but also Sheila Martins and her uncontrolled snippy poodle. Those who were bitten by the poodle at the festival should come forward and file a lawsuit against the poodle's owner.
Come on people....just by reading Sheila Martin's statements and the statements of the eye witnesses, it so obvious the poodle was the instigator.

Posted by: Tee3 | September 15, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Martins is not a resident of the District of Columbia. She may "live" in Adams Morgan, but she's not a resident.

She did not follow the law. The Bich-poo (whatever that is) was not on a lead. The dog was walking unrestrained through the crowd, which is against District law.

Her dog was the aggressor in the attack. This woman is taking no responsibility for her actions when her irresponsible dog ownership is what caused the incident in the first place.

You cannot tell if a dog is aggressive simply by looking at it. She is stereotyping dogs when she knows nothing about them. A knowledgeable dog owner would have had their dog on a lead that was six feet or less.

This woman is a horrible dog owner and should have been cited for not having her dog on a lead. If she decides to sue for her dog's vet bills I hope she knows she won't get a dime.

Posted by: nailahjordan | September 15, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to police and the public, the public is at an extreme disadvantage when officers are liars and bullies. No matter how criminal the actions of officer's, they are more likely to be supported by the "good ole boy" system and their fellow brethren, as is evidenced by the comments posted here by officers.

The incident report filed by the officer becomes gospel, especially when it is backed up by the brethren. It is not reasonable to think an officer will admit to wrong doing, especially after he has filed the incident report.

"Internal" affaires reviews are not likely to find fault with the officer because officers are very skilled at lying and covering their criminal behavior. And the Internal Affairs Dept is a travesty of justice.

@Dave115 | September 14, 2010 10:17, "I'm an attorney, and it's my experience that folks start to behave differently once they get served with papers, pay legal bills, and face sizeable judgments. Whether you are a dog owner or a police officer, you don't want to pay lawyers a $10,000 retainer just to get started. "

Dave115 is right to remind us that justice is for the ones who can afford it.

Parrot never stood a chance after violent prone officer Scott Fike took charge. Parrot will never receive justice. After all, he was the victim of a police officer. I hope he was given a fitting burial, and I hope there were many who shed tears about his death--I did.

Posted by: animal_voices | September 15, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Blinkie,

A foster who has had a dog may know that the dog has no bite history if the dog was voluntarily surrendered either to the rescue or a kill shelter. The dog may have been removed from a situation of neglect or abuse, but never bit anyone.

Dogs have histories, just like people. Don't assume because someone has "only" had the dog for a month they can't possibly know it's history.

Posted by: nailahjordan | September 15, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@ Blinkie,

Posted by: nailahjordan | September 15, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@ stinkyliberals,

Pit Bulls (no such breed by they way) are no more vicious than any other dog.

Most Bully dogs (Am Staff, OE Bulldog, Mastiffs) are strong dogs. They need responsible, EXPERIENCED owners. Banning all dogs in the Bully dog category will not solve the problem.

German Shephards are just are more likely to bite than Bully dogs.

Really, where do you get your information? Destroying all dogs in this category is like saying kill all people who get a DUI.

You may hate liberals, but I find your intolerance frightening.

Posted by: nailahjordan | September 15, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

PIT BULLS DO NOT LOCK THEIR JAWS!!!!!

While they are very strong jaws, they do not lock. This writer has either not done his homework, or is trying to propagate Pit Bull Hysteria.

While Pits can be easily TRAINED to be violent, I HIGHLY doubt a rescue organization would have taken a vicious dog to an event where people were present.

MANY dogs react physically when attacked by other dogs. Why don't people freak out and kill every yappy dog that is at the end of it's leash trying to attack PEOPLE (it is not proven this dog was attacking ANY people). Quite frankly, if you sat on me like that cop sat on that dog, I would bite you too.

Posted by: einbrooklyn | September 15, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to bet that that stupid btch (if she even had her dog leashed at all) was using one of those "flexi-leads" and was letting her dog wander all over the place?

And NO, it's NOT a fact that your dog should be "okay" with other dogs coming to sniff them. Ideally you want a non-reaction, but dogs are like people. They're individuals and some don't like other dogs in their space. Dogs see dogs. Not size. I can't count how many times some idiot with a "cute" little dog has allowed it to assertively come into my Shepherd's space (usually on a 10 foot flexi lead too, which turns into a garrote if it gets wrapped around your leg) with absolutely no verification that my dog wants it there. I've had to tell them firmly, please don't.

The fact is, dogs don't attack for absolutely no reason. Ever. They have a reason, even if it doesn't make sense to us.

Posted by: sickofit66 | September 16, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Dogs like Parrot have be unfairly vilified by society. The whole
breed is judged bad because jerks like Michael Vic TRAINED them to be
mean.

American Temperament Test Society
...Anything above 80% is good!!!!

Dalmatian 81.8%, Husky 86.6%, German Shepard/ cop dog 83.5%, Rotts
82.6%, Mastiff 83.9%, American Pit Bull Terrier 84.3%, American
Stafford-shire 83.4%, Stafford-shire Bull Terrier 85.3%, and Boxer 84.3

Now the beloved little dogs..

Miniture Poodle 77.9%
Collie 53.3%, Bichon Frise 79.3%, Corgi 75.4%, Chihuahua 70.3%,
Dachshund 70.2%, Setter 75%, Schnauzer 75.5%, Lhasa Apso 69.2%

I think we can all see that the little ones are far more aggressive
than the big ones. Wake up!! Do your research before you judge.

Looks like the dogs who are accused of being dangerous and aggressive have been labeled unfairly.

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

DC police have a history of killing peoples dogs ask Mayor Calvo. Killing the dogs first is standard operating procedure

With a little real researched journalism we might find this worthless officer was SWAT Trained and may have been involved in murdering the DC Mayors dogs.

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Most are from witnesses supporting the dog owner’s version of events, though none yet have been able to say what happened down in the stairwell where the dog was ultimately shot.
Sherita Ala’i, for example, wrote to say her daughter, 9-year-old Neda Changuit, was the one mentioned at the bottom of the story, watching in horror as the shooting unfolded.
She said the dog was “subdued/contained” and there was “no need” for the police to shoot it. Though she did not see the dog after it was down the steps, she said she watched "with shock and total disbelief" as the officer fired.
“I thought initially that it couldn't possibly be a real gun,” she said.
Conor Healy, Neda’s father, said he, too, saw the officer draw his gun and fire. He said the officer did so calmly, after it appeared the situation had been resolved.

1.     The report only one alleged bite – that to Officer Fike. The injury is classified as an abrasion and described as scratching on the hand and wrist. Officer Fike declined any medical care resulting from his injury.  Many eye witnesses state that Parrot did not bite or even attempt to bite anyone at any point during the police intervention.
2.     Aaron Block was not bitten. The police report confirms this as do Aaron’s own statements.
3.     According to multiple eye witnesses, Parrot had already been subdued and was being held securely by his foster, Aaron Block, when the police arrived on the scene.  Parrot was not “out of control.”
4.     Parrot did not charge the officer after being thrown down the concrete stairwell.  A witness who was standing on the Brass Doorknob’s porch saw what transpired in the stairwell.  He told us that Parrot was stunned from the fall and had only just gotten to his feet when the officer drew his gun and opened fire without provocation.
“There are alot of comments being generated on this tragedy, some factual and some not. What I can add is contradictory to the comment attributed to Jacob Kishter, Commander of the 3rd Police District and reported in the Washington Post today – “once the officer pushed the dog down the stairwell” – is not at all what happened. As seen in the photo showing the officer had control of the dog, he held the top of dog’s head and the skin on his back and walked over to the stairwell railing and THREW the dog from chest height down to the bottom – a height of between 9 and 10 feet. This I saw because I was standing at the doorway of the business where the dog was killed. As I turned away, in 1 – 3 seconds a single shot rang out. I then went out on the platform above the stairwell, and saw the dying dog’s head was nearly on top of the floor drain next to the locked gate at the bottom of the steps FACING away from the steps..”

Posted by: blueinmo | September 16, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I have been the proud caretaker of two rescued pit bulls for the last ten years. They are constantly around other dogs at our local dog park and in our neighborhood. They have never, ever once threatened ANY other dog they have encountered and in fact play gleefully with every dog they meet and pine for the two labradors that live next door.
I have been around large dogs all my life (I'm 41) and the ONLY two dogs I have ever been bitten by were a mini-poodle and a japanese chin (2 pounds). Dogs become what PEOPLE make them. A scared dog has every right to defend itself, just as humans do, and I find it HIGHLY likely that the poodle did instigate the fight (as I've witnessed small dogs picking on large dogs MANY times) The over-reaction by the police in this instance only served to frighten Parrot even more -- funny thing, he was right to be frightened, wasn't he? The police who surrounded him shot him DEAD. This incident is a travesty and just goes to show how truly unprepared and trigger- happy police are when dealing with chaotic situations (living in New York, there are almost weekly reports of unarmed people being shot many, many times). This is a travesty.

Posted by: sk8nbabe | September 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? the Bichon was not on a leash? Did the owner get a ticket? No? Her dog is alive and she is complaining about vet bills. She is to blame for Parrot's death if this is true. She did not control HER dog... Shame on you.

Posted by: GigiHoff | September 16, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I feel like the lady with the Bich-Poo mix should be ticketed herself. B/c knowing her dog started the fight between the 2 dogs. I have a Flat coated Retriever and she has gotten very aggressive to another dog in a crowd b4 b/c the other dog came up smelling her. I had to pull her tightly so that there would not b a fight between the 2 dogs. And what the officer did to Parrot I feel was totally uncalled for. He was someones pet, friend, and companion. After he got thrown down the stairwell he was probably getting up to run to his owner for protection, since the dog was injured. Shooting and killing the dog should not have happend and the officer should be put on leave without pay!

Posted by: lookinjuliette18 | September 16, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stinkyliberals - "It's simple. Ban the Pit breed and annihilate all current living ones. The police did the right thing, IMO, in shooting to death the aggressive pit. Pit's should be put down. They should die, for they were created to be super-aggressive and kill.

I say "Yay!" to the policeman who shot this demon-spawned breed of an animal blah blah blah"

---------------------------------------

You need help stinkey. Desperately.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 17, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

To all the fools who automatically blame the dog, anyone with half a brain cell could surely work out that even if the dog had been trying to rip everyones face off, which it clearly wasn't, the officer was already sitting on it and it was clearly pinned down so if it were necessary he could have shot it there and then.

Instead he picked it up on his own - something which would have been impossible had the dog been fighting back and walked over and threw it down a stairwell, if that dog really had been dangerous, this fool basically had it under control and then let it go again in a place full of people. Does anyone really believe that the dog was so dangerous it had to be shot and yet this officer picked it up from a position it was already controlled in, and threw it down a stairwell from which it could easily have escaped back into the crowd?

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous and just because you clearly have an inherent dislike of certain breeds doesn't make you above the law and able to summarily execute them when the situation does not warrant it. The other women involved should be ashamed of herself frankly, because she let her dog approach another unknown dog and then opines that that same dog could run around and bite people - if that's the case you would steer clear of it surely. And she is very lucky her dog looks 'sweet' because it if looked like a pit bull then it apparently would have been shot there and then, since it did exactly the same as the dog that was shot.

If that dog had really been vicious and out of control none of the above would have happened, because there is no way the owner would have been able to control it, no way the officer would have been able to push the owner off and pin the dog down and no way on earth he would have been able to manhandle it singlehandedly and throw it down a stairwell - he was able to do all that because the dog was under control. And even if you are stupid enough to believe his version of events - then surely you have to question the logic of a man who claims a dog is so vicious he has no alternative but to shoot it dead, but then having controlled it lets it go again. Yeh right.

Posted by: Hanker555 | September 20, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse