Posted at 12:37 PM ET, 07/26/2010

Pepco problems force website down

By Washington Post editors

Pepco has taken down its website because of a series of problems with it Monday, spokesman David Morehead said.

He said the site was deactivated around 10 a.m. "We've had a lot of calls," he said. Technicians are "working it," he said.

"As of now it's still down, but they're trying to get it back up," he said shortly after noon Monday.

He said the utility is making some progress restoring power in the wake of Sunday's violent storms. He said outages are down to 222,000 system-wide from a peak of 290,000 at the height of the storm Sunday.

He said there are about 171,000 outages in Montgomery County, 29,000 out in Prince George's County and 21,000 out in the District.

--Michael E. Ruane

By Washington Post editors  | July 26, 2010; 12:37 PM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mineta portrait to hang in Smithsonian
Next: Md. to train students in cyber security

Comments

I am looking for a home to buy and currently live in Montgomery County. Granted, yesterday was an extreme storm, but the constant outages with PEPCO have convinced me to live outside of Montgomery County. 6 times in one year is way too often for the power to go out

Posted by: mozeewink | July 26, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mozeewink | July 26, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Northern Virginia my entire life until moving to Montgomery several years ago. We are moving back, and it can't come soon enough. Leaving aside Montgomery's nanny-state approach to everything, Pepco is the worst public utility I've ever experienced. Even though we live in a relatively new neighborhood (in Germantown) with underground wiring, power outages are frequent and prolonged. And now it turns out that not only can Pepco not maintain/restore power, they can't even keep up a simple website (that provides only rudimentary info about outages in any case, and is one of the slowest sites you'll ever encounter, whether you're reviewing outages or just trying to pay your bill). We NEVER experienced problems like this with Vepco/Dominion. It's ridiculous.

Throw in the Maryland MVA along with Pepco and Montgomery government, and you've got the hat trick of reasons to prefer Virginia.

Posted by: stratman1 | July 26, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Even Mike Brown is shaking his head at the ineptitude Pepco is showing right now.

"You're doin' a heckuva job, Pepco."

Posted by: jrachlin | July 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Power
Eventually
Problems
COntinually

Posted by: doczoidberg | July 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Our crews are working around the clock to restore power as safely and quickly as possible. We will be providing regular outage updates on Twitter @PepcoConnect. Please report all outages to 1-877-PEPCO-62 and any downed power lines/trees to (202) 872-3432.

Best,
Andre (Pepco Social Media Representative)

Posted by: Pepcoconnect | July 26, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

To save money (read: maximize profits) PEPCo has gutted is repair crews over the past 15 years. Now instead of having the full panoply of trucks and trained personnel to get the Metro area up and running within a few hours of a 15-minute storm, they take days.

Because they don't want a printed record of their ineptitude they take down their web site.

Public service? Public utlility? It doesn't serve me anymore, and I can't utilize their product.

I'm glad I've got a generator and an iPad.

Posted by: WebHarmonyLLC | July 26, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Pepco Sucks. I realize that they have a big job to do in cleaning up after a storm, but their non-emergency services suck as well. I had a house renovation that was completed in mid April. PEPCO still hasn't come to reintall the wires through the new electric meter. Over 3 months for a run of the mill duty that they, and not my contractor, must do? Give me a break . . .

Posted by: noatak | July 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

PEPCO is a joke. They have the worst service in the area. I live in the Aspen Hill area and we loose service in a simple rain storm, not even wind. We lost power 2 weeks ago on a Saturday morning and it was only raining. 6 hours later, power was finally restore. No reason given. Might as well live in Iraq...we have a third world power grid in Montgomery County.

PEPCO, you suck!

Posted by: B-rod | July 26, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I'm staying a friends and writing this because I still have no power.

PEPCO, you suck!

Posted by: B-rod | July 26, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

How about the Post try actual investigative reporting and question why the Joe Rigby-led Pepco can't/won't address issues with its infrastructure? It would have more value than coverage of Pepco's alleged website outage.

Posted by: kenrowe1 | July 26, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

So why does Pepco Holdings' stock value go up after something like this?

Rigby, Joseph
Basic Compensation, USD: $796,669
All Other, USD: $894,128
Fiscal Year Total, USD: $ 3,116,830

Brief Biography
Mr. Joseph M. Rigby is Chairman of the Board, President, Chief Executive Officer of Pepco Holdings Inc. He has been President and Chief Executive Officer of the Company since March 1, 2009. From March 2008 to March 2009, Mr. Rigby served as President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company and from September 2007 to March 2008, he served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company. He was Senior Vice President of the Company from August 2002 and Chief Financial Officer from May 2004 to September 2007. From September 2007 to March 2009, Mr. Rigby was President and Chief Executive Officer of the Company’s utility subsidiaries. He has been Chairman of the Company’s utility subsidiaries since March 1, 2009. Mr. Rigby has been a director and Chairman of the Company since May 15, 2009.

Posted by: michaelpevzner | July 27, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I think PEPCO should be required to refund transmission & Distribution part of electric bill for every month that they fail to provide power for a duration of 1 hour. Maybe there would be more of a sense of urgency to maintain their systems as others such as Allegheny Power. I have a place in West Virginia and there are miles of power lines traveling through heavily wooded areas and the power is always on and if not response is quick to fix it. I live within site of PEPCO substation on Emory lane and every time a twig moves its three strikes and the power is off. They have had a Transfomer blow up there, a number of years ago, and ruined everything electronic in my house and when I call them it's an act of GOD and I should have UPS'S and surge protectors on everything. This is not possible. Montgomery County government will call them in and they will all dance around the table again just like back during the snow storm but nothing gets done, ever, unless its ripping us off for another stupid permit or tax. Quality of life often spoke about here does not exist. Just as well live in woods in West Virginia at least I know there are no services.

Posted by: MDsucks | July 29, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse