Posted at 9:06 AM ET, 08/10/2010

Prep schools to discuss lacrosse murder

By Washington Post editors

Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School will host deans from other Washington-area private schools to discuss the murder of 22-year-old Yeardley Love.

Love, a University of Virginia lacrosse player, was found beaten to death in her Charlottesville apartment in May. Police have charged her ex-boyfriend George Huguely of Chevy Chase with first-degree murder. Both attended private secondary schools in Maryland before enrolling at the University of Virginia in 2006.

The private school deans will meet in October to discuss the proper response to Love's death.

Fred Haller, Visitation's assistant dean of students, said freshmen and sophomores at the school will directly address the murder in group counseling sessions this year.
———
Information from: The Washington Examiner, http://www.examiner.com

By Washington Post editors  | August 10, 2010; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Maryland, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UVa. dumps dorm land-line phones
Next: New absentee ballot system for Md.

Comments

I'm not going to say Huguely isn't guilty and shouldn't be locked up; he likely is and should. But I also feel that to leave it at that would be a waste. Here's an articulate, well-educated young man from, by all accounts, an okay family. Rather than throw away the key, can't we use him? Could he help us understand where the rage came from or could he better reach younger people on the dangers of relationship abuse, or alcohol abuse or both? I'm not talking a free ride but at some point his shell-shock will be gone and, as a bright person, the introspection should begin. The damage in his wake is incalculable, but maybe, just maybe, he can help save a life in the future. I hope he's encouraged along these lines. God knows, he'll probably have the free time.

Posted by: Java2000 | August 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, Java is a bleeding heart liberal so popular today. Huguely, a young man obviously spoiled rotten by over-indulgent parents of privilege, has (allegedly) committed a murder. His attorney of note says this was an 'accident'. Repeatedly banging someones head against a wall until a nosebleed starts, is an ACCIDENT??? I think not. Mr. Huguely should be sentenced to prison on a life sentence for playing God and taking away the precious life of Yeardley Love. It wouldn't surprise me in the least for any scheme to rear its ugly head to avoid prison for Huguely. If I or any ghetto resident who would be financially lacking committed this crime, we'd be in prison with the key thrown away. I hope that Mr. Huguely will pay the price for the murder, and not be allowed to slink away like the proverbial weasel.

Posted by: xfinenib | August 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: xfinenib | August 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

His attorney is a moron for suggesting it was an accident. But you have to face the likelihood that this kid will be out before he's an old man. While, let's say, he's still strong enough to bash in another head. All I'm saying is, if there's even a DROP of remorse, you've got a potential voice that might be able to reach young people. A guy from the ghetto talking about date abuse is probably not going to reach as many UVA or Colgate or Wellesley co-eds as Huguely, whether you think he's a scumbag or not (and I'm not arguing that point).

Posted by: Java2000 | August 11, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse