Posted at 9:31 AM ET, 11/12/2010

Report: D.C. EMS crew under investigation

By Washington Post editors

The D.C. Fire Department is looking into allegations that two firefighters lied about their location, delaying their response to call in which a woman died, NBC 4 reports.

On Sept. 29, emergency responders from Fire House 11 in Columbia Heights were called to a medical emergency a few blocks away. A fire engine arrived within six minutes to an Oak Street NW address where Christina Chavarria, 72, was found bleeding uncontrollably from a shunt in her neck, NBC 4 reports.

Firefighters radioed for an ambulance, which did not arrive until 16 minutes after the call. NBC 4 reports that a GPS tracker placed the ambulance more than three miles away at a fire station at Fourth and Rhode Island Avenue NE. The ambulance was supposed to be at a station that was only seconds away from Chavarria's home.

She later died from her injuries.

By Washington Post editors  | November 12, 2010; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. Farm Bureau: Thanksgiving cost stable
Next: Attack at Pr. Geo.'s American Legion

Comments

They will get away with it. It really is a d@m shame!!!

Posted by: MsSexy4Life | November 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

They will get away with it. It really is a d@m shame!!!

Posted by: MsSexy4Life | November 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

They will get away with it. It really is a d@m shame!!!

Posted by: MsSexy4Life | November 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I believe the important word is "later," as in "She later died of her injuries."

It seems unfair to blame an ambulance that was a few minutes late when so many other factors contributed to the death, but I am not unsympathetic to those who lost their loved one in the catastrophy.

Posted by: blasmaic | November 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

blasmaic: "A 72 year old woman in poor health doesn't have much of an economic life ahead of her."
__________________________________________
So her life isn't as valuable? Are you kidding me? Homeless people don't have much of an economic life in front of them, either - might as well let them kick the bucket. Mentally challenged or disabled folks....yeah, they're a waste too. Only the young, fit and economically viable ought to have life-saving measures available. Sure, that makes perfect sense (shaking head).

Clearly you are rather unsympathetic. Actually, your words make me shudder. My grandmother lived to be 90 years old. I would hate to think that when she fell and broke her hip in her 70s that nobody would respond because she wasn't "economically viable." Course, since she was a homemaker her entire life, I guess she wasn't ever economically viable.

If that't the standard you use to judge the value of a human being's life....I hope you last to the ripe old age of....65 before we decide to get rid of your useless behind.

Posted by: vickistired | November 12, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

blasmaic: Do you have a mother?

If the crew was not where they were suppossed to be , why not? Goofing off on the taxpayers dime? Get answers, and severly punish if called for. There have far too many screw-up by paramedics in this city. Clean house and get some professionals to do the job.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

jckdoors, no I don't have a mother.

My mother died when I was 23 after four years of inoperable cancer and chemotherapy. They pulled her back from the brink a number of times, so I understood how lucky we had been when she died.

I see people who lost loved ones on 9/11 and they look like profiteers to me. Ron Goldman and Jessica Brown of OJ fame look like spoiled children.

Posted by: blasmaic | November 12, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

They shouldn't have lied. There may have been another ambulance closer that could have stopped the bleeding before she died. I am sorry, but there is NO excuse for that. Tell the truth about where you are because someone's life is at stake. And it doesn't matter if she was 172 years old. She could have many years left on her...I know people in their 80s and 90s who are active and bringing joy to other people's lives.

Posted by: JanineC4 | November 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Fred Goldman, not Ron Goldman. Ron Goldman was the guy killed.

Most legal settlements consider how much the deceased would have earned had they not been killed. That's why the families of wealthy stock brokers were paid more than the families of busboys after 9/11.

Posted by: blasmaic | November 12, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess DC had better get the check out ...again..

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | November 12, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

How did they lie about their location when there is a GPS in their truck. Most dispatch systems recommend the closest unit, regardless of where it is based at. It appears the dispatcher may have some responsibility here as well.

Posted by: rsteffens1 | November 12, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse