Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:25 AM ET, 03/11/2011

Small fire at the Library of Congress

By Associated Press

A building at the Library of Congress in Washington has reopened after being briefly evacuated because of a small electrical fire in the basement.

The fire broke out Friday morning at the Madison Building and was contained to a basement. D.C. fire department spokesman Pete Piringer says the fire stemmed from an electrical problem involving a generator, but the exact cause has yet to be determined.

U.S. Capitol Police say there were no injuries and no immediate reports of damages.

The building on Independence Avenue was evacuated and neighboring streets were shut down.

By Associated Press  | March 11, 2011; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  DC  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UDC president: special travel needs
Next: Lab accident at Leesburg middle school

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company