Posted at 2:13 PM ET, 10/18/2010

D.C. cancels Thursday trash pickup

By Washington Post editors

The D.C. Department of Public Works announced Monday that trash, recycling, bulk and animal carcass collection will be suspended this Thursday, Oct. 21, to allow sanitation staff to attend funeral services for Larry Hutchins, a 24-year DPW employee who was shot and killed while preparing for duty Oct. 13. D.C. police are still searching for a suspect in the case.

All Thursday trash and recycling collections, including once-a-week collections, will move to Friday, and Friday’s collection will be picked up on Saturday. Any bulk collections scheduled for Thursday will be rescheduled, and those residents will be notified accordingly.

“DPW is mourning the loss of a cherished employee,” said DPW Director William O. Howland. “Our solid-waste employees will join the rest of the DPW family to pay their respects to Mr. Hutchins and his family on Thursday. I want to thank everyone -- Mayor Adrian Fenty, District citizens, the media and our fellow colleagues -- for their support during this time and patience during the brief interruption of these services.”

By Washington Post editors  | October 18, 2010; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Driver who hit scooter turns himself in
Next: No bail in Baltimore officer death

Comments

Am I reading this right? The entire department is shutting down so they can go to a funeral for one of the employees who was killed getting ready for work? Would this ever in a million years be considered by or for a private employer?

Posted by: George210 | October 18, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

No, you are not reading it right. The info states that trash and recycling collection for Thursday will be suspended for the day. DPW has a whole host of services that will still be operable on that day. But many of the sanitation workers who rode with the guy who died will, however be taking an hour or two to attend the funeral. Same thing you would expect at a private company. A human being lost his life tragically. This is a humane reaction.

Posted by: nan1 | October 18, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

It's also important to note that he was killed while actually at the job and that some of his coworkers witnessed the incident.

Posted by: nan1 | October 19, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Although I'm sure we all mourn yet another stupid killing in DC, I don't know how DC Gov't (if you can call it a gov't and not just a mob) can justify such a day off. It's not like he fell a hero like police or fireboys. Here's an idea: ASK THE FAMILY TO HOLD THE FUNERAL ON SATURDAY OR SUNDAY so the city doesn't have to pay these lazy, sloppy trash collectors overtime. I'd be more supportive if they were't no noisy and sloppy--they drop trash on the front of my street (I live in a townhome so I have to put my ugly trash out front) and honk and yell at each other which drives my two dogs crazy in the morning. Get with it DC, can't you work things out and save us bereaved taxpayers some money? I have the right to mourn the loss of my tax dollars don't I? Sick and tired of DC, John Berchert, AIA

Posted by: JohnBerchertAIA | October 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow JonBerchert! We have a great place in the area for folks like you to move to - it's called PG County. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Three cheers to our sanitation workers!

Posted by: tedbanaras | October 19, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse