Posted at 6:20 AM ET, 01/20/2011

Tell us your tattoo story

By James Buck
Every great tattoo has a great story -- from personal tributes to lost loved ones to embarrassing moments. So we thought we'd ask you: What's the story behind your tattoo?

Share the tale of your body art; upload a photo if you like.

You can also talk about your story on Twitter with other readers using the hashtag #myink, and check out these Bubble Tweets from our Innovations Editor Mark Luckie and Web Producer James Buck about their tattoos:

Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 1.55.45 PM.png Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 1.58.27 PM.png

And check out this Q&A about literature-based tattoos from the Express, too.
Online Database by Caspio
Click here to load this Caspio Online Database.
Online Database by Caspio
Click here to load this Caspio Online Database.

By James Buck  | January 20, 2011; 6:20 AM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buzz: Va. gun rights, no-fly list, pandas
Next: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region

Comments

I like the coloring in Rachel's tatt

Posted by: jakeyrotten | January 14, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

What's the story behind any tattoo? Who f-in cares?
Tattoos are idiotic "art" for prisoners and commoners who feel the need to differentiate themselves...only to look like the rest of the tatt'ed up losers.
What's the story? Narcissism

Posted by: friedpix | January 14, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

What's the story behind any tattoo? Who f-in cares?
What's the story? Narcissism

Posted by: friedpix | January 14, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

What's the story behind any tattoo? Who f-in cares?
What's the story? Narcissism

Posted by: friedpix | January 14, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sir, It is very interest to read about Tatoo. Some or many of us are born with natural tatoos- they are Birth marks or Haemangiomas- a bunch of blood vessels that is present at the skin surface or may occur in any organ in the body like Brain,liver ,kidneys or even in our intestinal tracks- nothing new.Some of these may be dangerous eg: in Brain- may lead to sudden spontaneous life-threating conditions.
I have seen extensive Hamangiomas in the skin, which may be disfiguring and people use some thing to cover it up.Small ones on the face may require plastic surgery. One need not loose sight of the fact, may rarely cause Haemangiosarcomas(blood vessel cancer).
This said, like body piercing, people use tatooing, the reasons may be very many. Does it reflect a personality, may be yes. Tatoos may be minimal to very intricating patterns, by which the person may be telling some thing others. I have no idea why they are done, but it is the be-holder who may have an impression.No doubt, they are colorful and impressive, set of a chain reaction. In Eastern societies, this is very common, and identify them as belonging to a group or sect.
Tatooing may come at a price, using dirty equpment, no need for cerification and done in the back allies, have their effect on public Heath.More recently, just sticking a pattern has become an in-thing for younger generation. Health authorities must be on the look out for any disease break-out, just like AIDS or HIV.
Finally, I have to narrate this- while I was a resident in surgery, during an examnation, I came across a four inch tatoo on the inner thigh of her genitals, representing Male genital organ, on further enquiry, the answer came promptly-" Doc, when it erects, I get the feeling of sex and getting Orgasm"

Posted by: jayrkay | January 14, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy reading about Richard's tattoo, especially. Her MC HAMMER glasses are inspirational, if not ridiculous, and we should all get a pair.

Posted by: password11 | January 14, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Justin, are you from Watertown or somewhere close? I know what you're saying about people getting upstate wrong. I was stationed at Drum.

Posted by: fleananthony | January 15, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I love Drew's full sleeve tattoo.

Posted by: leslieswearingen | January 15, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I love Drew's full sleeve tattoo.

Posted by: leslieswearingen | January 15, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I can deal with a tattoo. The people who worship, obsess, and need tattoos are like drug abusers. All they think about, talk about, worry about is tattoos. Abuse of this act, is dirty looking to me. It shows that a lot of people have little class. The military I can understand. No Problem. The wanna be's are just stupid. It is usually accompanied by piercings, and self mutilation. I know I will be called names, and I allow in my thinking for the judicial use of tattoos, I just cant stand the overall culture of dirty looking people.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | January 15, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | January 15, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | January 15, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Posted by: Edknowsbest | January 15, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | January 15, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe the Washington Post would stoop to this level of content. Tattoos are a part of the subculture -- of bikers and rock musicians and prison convicts -- and should be left to such people. Call me an old fogey, but I would never date a woman with a tattoo or hire a person with a tattoo to work for my company. They are the sign of gratuitous narcissism. If any young people contemplating getting tattooed happen to read this, I beg them to reconsider before vandalizing their epidermis.

Posted by: chan2 | January 15, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chan2 | January 15, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I like Richard's tattoo, where he had a tattoo of Sarah Palin's MC HAMMER glasses put on his face.

Posted by: password11 | January 15, 2011 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the amount of ignorance about tattoo culture being spewed in these comments is just blowing my mind. The idea that tattoos are only for convicts and bikers is pure nonsense. By eliminating an entire "subculture" of people from your dating pool or potential workforce, you are just helping to enforce the stereotypes about people with tattoos. Openly stating that you are going to judge a person solely based on their outward appearance really says a lot about the type of person you are.

My advice for any young people contemplating getting tattooed, I beg you to ignore the ignorant judgmental people and go for it. Just take the time to make sure you are getting your ink for the right reasons. Getting my first tattoo was one of the best decisions I have made and has only served to better my life.

Posted by: pberge | January 19, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse