Utility worker injured in NE D.C.
A utility worker suffered traumatic electric shock injuries Thursday afternoon in Northeast Washington when a construction crane used at a work site came in contact with overhead wires, D.C. fire department officials said.
Firefighters were called to the 5500 block of 3rd Street for report of an explosion, and found the worker in a trench with burns and electric-shock injuries, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the fire department. The man, who was said to be in his 30s, was taken to Washington Hospital Center with potentially life-threatening injuries, Piringer said.
A crane operating at the site apparently came into contact with overhead wires and electrified the machine, which caused a sound that sounded like -- but wasn't -- an explosion. The current apparently ran through the crane and into the trench, injuring the worker, Piringer said.
-- Clarence Williams
The comments to this entry are closed.