Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 04/ 4/2010

Demand slows gun checks in Va.

By Washington Post Editors

Background checks for firearm purchases in Virginia are taking longer because of state police staff cuts and strong demand for guns.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller says the agency's Virginia Firearms Transaction Center has lost 11 employees since May 2009.

Meanwhile, demand is rising. Between 2000 and 2009, firearms transactions in Virginia increased from 182,170 to 287,462.

During peak periods, Geller says background checks can now take to four to six hours to complete. Some that require research into out-of-state records take overnight.

Virginia Citizens Defense League President Philip Van Cleave says the delays are costing dealers money and putting at risk people who need firearms for protection.

--Richmond Times-Dispatch

By Washington Post Editors  | April 4, 2010; 12:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zero-gravity flights to be offered at Dulles
Next: NASA an obstacle to Va. offshore drilling?

Comments

wow, that long?...4 to 6 hours?...maybe overnight?....my heart bleeds.....

try the peoples republic of maryland or chocolate city if you want a comparison....

the service in virginia is like lightning in comparison.

Posted by: californicationdude | April 4, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Slow response time also violates the law. If there is a wait time of 1 day, then it must be written into the code as law, not created by others. People fought the checking process to prevent this type of vigil ante gun control from developing.

Posted by: blasmaic | April 4, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I thought these firearms background checks were paid for with discretionary tax dollars or fees as part of the purchase price of the firearm. It looks like Tim Kaine left Bob McDonnell a little present when he left.

I know when I applied for my CCW, five and one-half years ago, it was issued in about thirty days. When Tim Kaine was the Governor form Virginia (not for Virginia) and dancing around as DNC Chairman, it took almost sixty days to get it renewed and even though the law specificaally states that the courts shall issue an interim permit, after forty-five days, they aren't and the clerk was forwarding calls to voice mail and not returning those calls. I started an inquiry with the NRA and with the Offices of the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court, in my county, on the fiftieth day. I received a phone call that there was a delay with the state and received an apology. When I finally talked with the clerk's office they had two choices, either issue an interim permit or let's have a discussion with the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court. They asked for 24 hours and I said okay. My permit was in the mail the next day.

Yes, I am an NRA Lifer and yes I am a law abiding person. For all of those liberetards who are anti-firearm, I submit to you, the following questions:

What are the percentage of Carried Concealed Weapons Permits holders:
1. Stick-up liquor stores?
2. Stick-up banks?
3. Commit drive-by shootings?
4. Have committed a felony?
5. Prevented an assault?
6. Prevented a robbery?
7. Protected one's person or family.

An informed and armed citizen is far more valuable than an ignorant one, none as a "sheeple."

Questions?

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | April 4, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

The State Police cut its staff when a majority of the dealers started using a web site provided by the State Police to conduct backgrounds checks. Rather than phone in the buyer's information, the dealer can now enter it online and get a approval or disapproval.

blasmaic wrote:
"Slow response time also violates the law. If there is a wait time of 1 day, then it must be written into the code as law,..."

It already is. A dealer can legally transfer a firearm after 3 business days have passed from the time the background check was started and no approval or disapproval has been received from the State Police.

Posted by: ahashburn | April 5, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

"wow, that long?...4 to 6 hours?...maybe overnight?....my heart bleeds....."

Okay, you don't have a right to post here but I bet you'd scream loudly if you post took 4 to 6 hours to show up. If the power was out at your house for 4, 6 or 24 hours, you'd also complain to the power company. The point is that the NICS system, nor any firearm-law as prevented a criminal from obtaining a firearm or committing a crime. When the NICS system was implemented under the Clinton administration, there were thousands of criminals that attempted to purchase a firearm, which is a crime. The Clinton administrations justice department prosecuted less than a hundred.

Posted by: theaton | April 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse