Posted at 9:32 PM ET, 06/19/2010

Fenty canvasser allegedly selling crack

By Terri Rupar

A canvasser for the campaign of D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) was fired after being arrested Friday in connection with an alleged attempt to sell crack to an undercover police officer in Northwest.

Demetrius Eccles was arrested at Georgia Avenue and Piney Branch Road, according to a law enforcement source. No age or address was available. He began working this month for the campaign, but a campaign spokeswoman said he is “no longer” on the staff. She said he was not on duty at the time of his arrest.

— Nikita Stewart and Clarence Williams

By Terri Rupar  | June 19, 2010; 9:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Bullet Manute Bol dies at 47
Next: Injured hiker rescued near Potomac

Comments

Fenty and Obama use crack why can't their subordinates????

Posted by: zcxnissan | June 19, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

thank you zcxnissan for getting the ball of stupid comments rolling....

Posted by: mamaspearl | June 19, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Probably one of those folk connected to Mr. Ronald Moten who they decided to PAY to show that they have "STREET CRED"!!!

Posted by: lacairaine | June 19, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not too crazy about Fenty but I don't see how this reflects on his campaign. I doubt they knew what this guy was up too.

Posted by: PepperDr | June 19, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh what a web we weave. In the upcoming weeks more dirt will come out on King Fenty or someone on his staff. This campaign is turning into a circus. King Fenty and his kingdom will soon fall.

Posted by: Ward4DC | June 19, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

one of moten folks he hired like a $20 crack ho!

so sad. so sad.

Posted by: nivla | June 20, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

It's unfortunate, but I'm not surprised.

Posted by: candycane1 | June 20, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

So a paid campaign staffer sells some crack, this is unlikely to be a big deal to Fenty supporters. Word has been on the street for awhile now that Fenty has been known to give his crack away to his frat "buddies" and cute white boys of a certain type.

Posted by: SoCali | June 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

What a non-story. Is crack usage so rare in the District that it use is news? Now stop me if I'm off track here but I don't think you have to pass a drug test to be a canvasser.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

You don't have to pass a drug test to be a canvasser, however, it does demonstrate the type of people being courted to represent the campaign. The Fenty campaign has hired unscrupulously aggressive campaign staffers that kick over or steal signs in yards, put bumper stickers on cars without permission and chase citizens down who don't want to speak with them. I would imagine that this guy was hired by Sinclair Skinner who runs the field campaign. I am not at all surprised. When Fenty has to go to the "hood" in Prince Georges county to get young people to work for him, that speaks volumes about where his campaign is going. Was that a flush I just heard?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It would be interesting for a Post writer to conduct a detailed in-depth review of campaign spending by both Fenty and Gray. One would imagine that Fenty's $4,000,000 in contributions (from mostly large donors and developers) is spent rather lavishly. What percentage of campaign money for both Fenty and Gray is being spent on consultants, hotels, entertainment, etc. ???

Posted by: ashafer_usa | June 20, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

A Post reported should investigate campaign spending by both Fenty and Gray. I would imagine that a good deal of Fenty's $4,000,000 in contributions (from mostly large donors and developers) has been spent on overpaid consultants, hotels, restaurants, and entertainment.

Posted by: ashafer_usa | June 20, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Twice this week an idiot from the Fenty campaign has placed (without my approval) a Fenty sign in my front yard where a Gray sign currently sits. These Fenty campaign idiots are primarily from outside of DC and have no respect or regard for DC citizens. I've taken down both Fenty signs and should I catch one of Fenty's people attempting to place another, I am going to shove the Fenty sign...

Posted by: Robmic812 | June 20, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@robmic812: I've been hit twice as well. The next time I'm keeping the sign and painting a big black NO in the middle right next to my Gray sign.

Posted by: candycane1 | June 20, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@concernedaboutdc; @robmic812: The canvaser being arrested for selling crack (which is horrible) is really much more about Mayor Fenty's recruiting standards and training for canvasers. A few Sunday's ago, I was grilling in my back yard when I noticed a small group of four men walking down my quiet street. I guess they saw the smoke wafting around the side of the house, because suddenly one of the men begins climbing my side stairs, stepping onto my property and entering my side yard. "How you doin' this afternoon...," the man yelled to me? I asked him to identify himself, which he didn't do. Although the green shirts would lead one to believe that they were Fenty canvasers, I had to ask at least four times before he gave his name and said that he was with the Fenty campaign. Pushy, arrogant and ill-mannered (remind you of anyone...?), the young man proceeded to rattle off a range of Mayor Fenty's 'accomplishments' in my Ward (most of which, as a former ANC Commissioner myself, I am well aware that the examples had mostly been initiated under Mayor Williams watch). However, I'm glad to see these stories come to light... The more Mayor Fenty uses these ham-fisted, spoiled frat-boy tactics in which he's so expert, the closer he puts himself to the exit door at the Wilson Building.

Posted by: jbpr | June 21, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Normally this would be considered one of those strange things but it isn't. It is there hiring practices.

They are hiring people in at risk positions, from shelters, drug treatment facilities and the general corner. This to Fenty is a good idea.

Again with the substance of Fenty's management style. 900 dollars for two weeks of work (tax free which if I was the IRS I would be pissed. )

If you have ever been to an event since the first waive of campaign staff was let go (It is hard to work for Fenty) things have turned a little ugly. They are vile. Because this is not their element, nor are they trained or supervised. And Moten said today in Washington Post he has hired an army of staff to go out into African American communities--lord help us.

Why doesn't he send them to ward 3--I heard recently Gray's momentum is growing up there. And Fenty has no path to victory if he looses Ward 3. Gives us other communities a break on these flash mobs.

Posted by: Fatmanny | June 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse