Posted at 1:53 PM ET, 01/ 8/2010

Hearing on marriage initiative to be held

By Washington Post editors

The Board of Elections and Ethics will hold a public hearing on whether the District's move to allow same sex marriage should be a ballot initiative.

The subject will be discussed at a special board meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 16, at 10:30am., One Judiciary Square, 441 4th Street, N.W., Suite 280, Washington, D.C.

Written memoranda should be submitted no later than 4:00 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 11, to the Board of Elections and Ethics, General Counsel’s Office, One Judiciary Square, 441 4th Street, N.W., Suite 270, Washington, D.C. 20001.

By Washington Post editors  | January 8, 2010; 1:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man indicted in cat owner's death
Next: Metro train operator disqualified after near miss

Comments

Why? Giving in to the Christians again? I thought items of discrimination couldn't be voted on. Cowards.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious how many more of these things the BOEE is going to listen to before they finally say it's the same thing over and over again and a waste of time and taxpayer resources.

C'mon BOEE--it's time for summary rulings.

Posted by: redgrifn | January 8, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

While I agree that it is getting repetitive, BOEE has to follow the rules and procedures. Imagine the ramifications if they didn't-- it would open up a can of worms. No doubt they will reject these two latest attempts, and perhaps the Superior Court decision will come down as well throwing out the current case. Eventually, it will with either get denied on appeal or go to SCOTUS. If they keep trying to go to court, the court will simply issue a summary judgment denying any future submitted petitions to the court.

Posted by: Aimhigh2000 | January 8, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

While we're at it, why not have an initiative on the ballot banning marriage in D.C. by white people? I'm sure that if I get the word out to all the people in D.C. who have a chip on their shoulder about all white people, GLBT people and their allies who want to get their point across, and just plain crazy people, this should be a shoo-in. Maybe to save time, my hearing for this initiative can take place at the same time as the hearing the article discusses.

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The State of New Jersey legislators voted agaisnt gay marriage on yesterday. I think, most people in America are some what tolerate, but they think the term marriage is between a man and a woman.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 8, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Homophobia is intolerance which brings no benefit. Same-sex marriage is a right which must be availible in every state and territory of the United States. The Washington, D.C. Board of Election will do the correct thing in blocking a referendum on same-sex marriage because that would be a gamble on human rights. Intolerant conservatives want a referendum but only failure will come to them in their pursuit of that referendum.

Posted by: LibertyForAll | January 8, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought I read somewhere that we have, in America certain inalienable rights-- and something about all men being created equal.....and the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness----- I wonder if some of these religious zealot bigots have read that document...hmmm.... am I being a bit sarcastic?

Posted by: Aimhigh2000 | January 9, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse