Posted at 12:10 PM ET, 02/ 4/2010

Howard teacher charged with assault

By Washington Post editors

A fifth-grade teacher in Howard County has been charged with second-degree assault after pushing an 11-year-old student, police said.

Tracie Clay, 38, teaches at Jeffers Hill Elementary School in Columbia. The student apparently told her mother that Clay verbally reprimanded her during class on Jan. 13 and then ordered her to leave the classroom. The girl said that Clay pushed her in the back, through the classroom door into the school hallway. The girl’s mother called police, and officers went to their home to take a report.

Responding officers observed a red mark on the girl’s back. After conducting an investigation, detectives charged Clay in a summons.

By Washington Post editors  | February 4, 2010; 12:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Toddler's body found in Va. landfill
Next: Virginia House cancels Friday meeting

Comments

Red mark on her back? Man, that must have been a SUPER MEGA YOMEGA PUSH! Keeyaww!

Seriously wouldn't surprise me if the mother is responsible for the red mark.

Also, I bet that kid DESERVED to be pushed in the back.

Yes I understand that it doesn't make it any less illegal.

Posted by: steampunk | February 4, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

If I was the child's parent, she'd have a red mark on her backside!

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | February 4, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Did mom ask little missy why she was told to leave class? A "push" that leaves a mark is much more than a push. I really have doubts about this.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing this ain't Holy Name Catholic, lol...I remember going there for an pre-enrollment interview and seeing the Paddle hanging on the Principal's coat rack. I remember telling my Pops 'I don't want to go to THIS school' and him laughing.

As for this, sounds like overreacting and 'my little susie did nothing wrong' which has crippled our school systems.

Posted by: kahlua87 | February 4, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Can a parent be charged with 1st degree stupidity?

Posted by: mdpilot | February 4, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what a child says, a teacher has no right to place their hands on them.

Posted by: jabreal00 | February 4, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

That teacher better be glad it wasn't my kid or I would be the one in jail for more than assault...

Posted by: FrankMonzon | February 4, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Lets wait for the investigation. After reading the note I have my doubts about what really happened...

Conspiracy?... Don't be surprised when we read in the news: "mother sues HCPS for Child Assault incident"....

Posted by: SISP | February 4, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

PEEWW! Something smells fishy to me about this case. I think the parent may need to be investigated.

Posted by: mymymy | February 4, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The fuzz missed the size 7 stiletto sticking out of the kid's butt.

Posted by: Calabrese99 | February 5, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Do whatever the kid says and no one gets hurt. It's all about the kids. Adults are icky.

Posted by: uncivil | February 5, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Who would want to be a career school teacher nowadays? Always worrying about who's going to try to nail you for sexual assault, physical assault, mental anguish. Being shown disrespect and having to listen to know-it-all dirty little mouths. I'm sure for the most part children are little angels. It's the two percent I couldn't handle. I'd go off like a bomb. Why you aren't even allowed to be a decent drill sergeant nowadays, much less a teacher.

Posted by: reesemichael | February 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of bull. Why would anyone teach in this country? It's the most difficult job for the least pay, and as a "thank you" you have to put up with this garbage.

Posted by: GeorgHerbet | February 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse