Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:09 AM ET, 01/ 4/2010

Landover fire caused by smoking, oxygen use

By Washington Post editors

UPDATE:
Prince George’s fire officials said a woman who used portable oxygen while smoking accidentally started the fire that spread through an 11 unit apartment building in Landover Monday morning.

Officials said the fire broke out around 3:30 a.m. in the three-story, garden style apartment building in the 3400 block of Dodge Park Road.

Mark Brady, a spokesman with the Prince George’s County Fire and EMS, said residents were evacuated from the apartment; some had to be rescued from their balconies after fire and smoke blocked stairwells.

The woman who accidentally started the fire was in fair condition at a local hospital with smoke and burn injuries, Brady said.

Two apartments in 11 unit building were declared uninhabitable. Damage was estimated at $25,000.

-- Keith Alexander

By Washington Post editors  | January 4, 2010; 11:09 AM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rockville school closes due to lack of heat
Next: Power out at Reagan National

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company