Posted at 9:23 PM ET, 05/12/2010

2-year-old dies in Prince George's crash

By Erica Johnston

A 2-year-old girl was killed Wednesday night when she was thrown from her car seat after her mother lost control of their car and hit several trees in the Landover area, Prince George's County police said.

The Chrysler sedan split nearly in half after it left the road, hopped a curb and smashed into trees on Brightseat Road near Arena Drive about 7:30 p.m., said Cpl. Mike Rodriguez, a police spokesman. The toddler was ejected from the car.

She was taken to a hospital where she was later pronounced dead, he said. Her mother was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.

-- Clarence Williams

By Erica Johnston  | May 12, 2010; 9:23 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shot fired at Fairfax school bus
Next: Man shot in SE D.C.

Comments

Putting a child in a car seat doesn't help much if you don't buckle the straps.

Posted by: pundito | May 13, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree with pundito, my grandson's mother would drive him around in a car seat, but the straps were never buckled. She didn't know how to loosen them after he grew older. When I found this out, she was taking him home one night from my house. I couldn't sleep until I called and found out they were home. The next time they came over my house, I took the car seat out of her car determined to figure out how to adjust the straps. After I figured it out, I showed her how to make the adjustment. My alternative plan was to purchase him a new car seat if I was not able to fix the one he had. I don't understand how parents do it--drive their babies around in car seats that are not properly strapped. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your child’s life.

I wouldn't want to be this parent having the what if moments tormenting me for the rest of my life; my heart goes out to her, but parents let this be a lesson to you--strap your children in their car seats properly, it could be the very thing that saves their life.

Posted by: Beingsensible | May 13, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

May this baby rest in peace. I truly dont understand why anyone would be in such a hurry in this type of weather. If you dont care about your own life take time out and think about your children that you have in the car. This will haunt this mother for the rest of her life. To bad that it will have to take this in order for her to slow down. Nothing is that important. I would also hope that others will learn from this but that is asking to much because they will forget this happened and go back to speeding and texting on the phone until another person is killed.

Posted by: browneyes1 | May 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The article mentions the sedan was "split nearly in half after it left the road." I'm quite sure the most properly restrained car seat would not have prevented the baby from being ejected in this situation.

Posted by: Downtown2 | May 13, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse