Posted at 11:58 AM ET, 08/ 4/2010

AA County Exec.: Investigate dog shooting

By Washington Post editors

Anne Arundel County Executive John R. Leopold is calling on the county police department to investigate the shooting death of a Siberian Husky at a community dog park by a federal police officer, the Baltimore Sun reports..

Bear-Bear, a brown and white Husky about 3-years-old, was playing in Quail Run dog park about 6:30 p.m. Monday, unleashed. The officer and his wife arrived with their German Shepherd, who was on a leash. The dogs began to play roughly and the officer asked Bear-Bear's owners to pull him away. But the owner said that before he could do anything the officer pulled out his gun and shot Bear-Bear.

The police department said it would not be filing charges.

Leopold on Wednesday sent out a news release asking the department to investigate the shooting.

Like many other citizens in our County, I have great concern regarding the shooting incident last night at the Quail Run dog park. It is concerning whenever a firearm is discharged at a public facility, let alone a facility that close to homes and children playing. All aspects of this incident merit a thorough and complete investigation.
We have wonderful resources for dog owners in Anne Arundel County. I want to ensure our citizens that these facilities are a safe and enjoyable place to let your dog exercise.

By Washington Post editors  | August 4, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. mom jailed for expired license plates
Next: Body found in Laurel near river

Comments

Dear Editors,

You should make it clear that this was an off-leash dog park. Such parks typically have no-leash policies for this very reason - dogs can feel threatened when they are on-leash and may react aggressively to protect their owners.

Posted by: JackDawkins | August 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow....police have SUCH powers nowadays. They can just go anywhere with their guns and shoot anything and it's all OK.

How VERY VERY nice. I'm thinking I need to change my career so I can just shoot whatever I don't like.

Niiiiiiice.

Posted by: stinkyliberals | August 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

How is it possible for the police department to not charge this guy?? It is very concerning that someone in the position he holds to have such a "temper" and the ability to pull his weapon and shoot a defenseless dog. The citizens where he serves should be outraged and demand a full investigation.

Posted by: michee1 | August 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

ineffingcredible. how does this happen? people in several local counties have gone to jail for animal negligence and torture. is this guy a relative of one m.vick? and if the officers dog was on a leash then he is a fault for not following the rules of the park. as i commented on another local article, why can't these reporters get more information when writing articles? there seems to be so much more to this story that is missing.

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | August 4, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

To all of us, it definitely sounds like what this officer did was not right. But as an FYI - in most jurisdictions, if a police officer is off duty in the jurisdiction where he works, he is supposed to have his badge/id and service weapon on him. But, this is obviously not the kind of behaviour they are supposed to exhibit.

Posted by: PrincessPolish | August 4, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Most police officers are former school yard bullies. Just because they get a badge doesn't negate this fact, it only increases their aggression.

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This should be a national concern: People should feel safe when taking their dogs and kids to a park.
Anyone who uses a gun in an irresponsible manner should have to pay the consequences.
Our public venues should be safe. Period.

Posted by: blaney2u | August 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Our public venues should be safe. Period.

Posted by: blaney2u | August 4, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: POLOinDC

No, most police officers were bullied and join the military as a way to man up and become police officers after they come out of the military because thats the job they can get based on their military training. Most of them would have no heart if they did not have the power of a law enforcement agency behind them backing their behavior. They become bullies after they become officers.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Well my goodness. Things like this does happen in other counties beside PG. Maybe people will lay off the PG cops for a while and start harping on the AA cops.

Posted by: becky3789 | August 4, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I find it interresting that bloggers seem to have disdain for law enforcement when they shoot a dog but want to justify them when they shoot an unarmed person. The same ones who are angry about this will say they guy who was strangled in PG County Jail by guards or the boy who was shot dead by the DC Cop who thought he stole his scooter got what they deserved and the cops were right. Just goes to show that a dog gets more respect than a human being if he is a brother.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

If that same off duty officer got into an altercation with an unarmed man in the 7-11 and shot him most of you would be OK with it. Depending on the description of the man he shot. Why is that? Also if Bear Bear was a pit bull instead of a husky would you feel different about the officers actions? Just wondering...

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

This is a bad cop. He needs to lose his badge at a minimum. He should also be charged for reckless endangerment and whatever else the state's attorney can make stick. And, of course, a lawsuit against the shooter (acting as a perp, not a cop) and the AA police (for poor training) is necessary to do justice and prevent this from happening again.

Posted by: pundito | August 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Probably a Homeland Security cop! They hire anybody!

Posted by: Badger21 | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The Blue Wall of Silence is a stain on all who hold a badge.

Posted by: kmp1 | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

To ged0386:
FYI:My dog is better behaved than the scum who hung himself in the PG Co jail and the dirtbag kid of a kid who stole a scooter in DC.

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Typical P.o S. cop, he would pay the ultimate price if that was my dog he shot.

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think we should hold off on judgement until further details come out. Although, it doesn't look good for the cop or the department right now.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Another trigger-happy cop. What a sense of entitlement.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This is the typical response when a police officer and/or a dog is involved. People who have had run-ins with the police or who flaunt traffic regulations come out of their little holes to bash the police.

None of us were there so let the investigation run its course.

Posted by: MKadyman | August 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The story reported that he was a FEDERAL police officer, which means his jurisdiction is federal locations and facilities- NOT local areas.

If he's a dog handler (an assumption on my part), and he couldn't handle a dog without pulling a gun, maybe he needs his dog taken away.

Or, maybe he just wanted to impress the wife with his manliness (refer to comment above).

Posted by: slfoster01 | August 4, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

What is it with cops blowing away family pets? Hardly a week goes by without some similiar outrage.

I am a middle class, conservative suburban mom and I can tell you public respect for law enforcement is steadily eroding--not just among those on the margins of society, but those well within the mainstream. Too many officers--poorly paid and under-educated--just simply do not inspire confidence in their judgment or even common sense.

Posted by: marrob5 | August 4, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I am so so so so sick of the cops. I live in MOCO. The Bethesda Police Dept make ridiculous pensions and benefits. They give parking tickets and speeding tickets most of the time. What the hell protecting and serving is that?

Most police are exactly as The Simpsons portrays. They are living high off the hog while most of us do real work and contribute to society.

Posted by: FiatBooks | August 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

PoloinDC: You are a complete idiot! What is your criminal record? Now that I am done with your stupid butt, I want to see the FULL report, not what a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks from the lunatic fringe have to say. Until that report is released, all you boneheads are doing is whining like the babies you really are. were there any injuries on the officer's dog? What were the exact circumstances? none of us knows yet, especially you doofus liberal twits here.

Posted by: madmike272 | August 4, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

madmike272: Why is my criminal report relevant in this situation? I'm not the one going to an off leash dog park and getting upset that another dog runs up to mine to play. I'm also not the one acting like some craze lunatic and start shooting, with kids and parents in the vicinity mind you, without exploring other options first or giving the owner of the other dog a chance to rein in his dog. So with all that said, whose the real idiot here me or the cop and his defenders?

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 5, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 5, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 5, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 5, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: POLOinDC | August 5, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

madmike...your moniker fits you and the anger you display quite well.

Dogs need to be unleashed in a dog park that is OFF-Leash! What don't you get?

Dogs play rough and tumble it's their way of establishing order and fun.

The dog that was killed was well socializd!

His gun-totin owner is NOT!

Posted by: Badger21 | August 5, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

I frequently go to the dog park. Sounds like a guy who doesn't go there often and does not know how dogs play. They jump on each other and bite the neck, not hard. A new dog might feel intimidated, not use to the park. My question, why did an off duty police officer have a gun at the dog park? Now that poor guys dog is DEAD!

Posted by: jen123 | August 5, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Don't tell me this is covered by the constitutional right to shoot bear-bears.

From the telling of the story here, the police officer sounds as if he needs to be suspended for using a firearm while off-duty. An investigation by the unit that the Federal officer works is the least one would expect.

cb

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | August 5, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

A dog is leashed for a reason. No one, especially another dog, should approach a leashed dog without explicit permission. No dog may run wild. Even off-leash, all dogs must be under complete control. If Bear-Bear had been properly controlled, I think Bear-Bear would still be alive.

Posted by: budryerson | August 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse