Posted at 11:44 AM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Bag tax to be proposed in Md.

By Washington Post editors

Maryland could be joining the District in charging a fee for plastic shopping bags if tweaks to previous legislation are enough to ward off key opposition, the Gazette reports.

Maryland State Del. Alfred C. Carr (D-District 18) said he plans to reintroduce a revised version of a bill that would add a 5-cent fee for each new plastic or paper bag used by retail shoppers. Two previous attempts to enact legislation -- in 2009 and 2010 -- were defeated.

D.C. officials recently reported that they had raised $2 million from the bag fee program that went into effect in January 2010.

Read more about Carr's proposal to enact a bag fee in Maryland in the Gazette.

By Washington Post editors  | January 6, 2011; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arrest in Suburban Hospital slaying
Next: HoCo. schools chief on medical leave

Comments

Maryland, don't do it!!!

It's a waste......

Posted by: weaverf | January 6, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Just another way to screw the taxpayers and provide a safe haven for government workers.

Posted by: Pilot1 | January 6, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Go for it Md. It should be at least 10 cents. While this is a regressive tax, it has an environmental angle that I support. It is probably less regressive than the sales tax.

Posted by: VikingRider | January 6, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VikingRider | January 6, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VikingRider | January 6, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VikingRider | January 6, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Great idea. It's not that hard to carry your own reusable bags--I have a ton in my car and a couple that fold up nice and compactly for my purse. They do well in the wash, too. Those who insist on brand-new plastic bags each time will just have to pay for the pollution they cause (when they're produced, from petroleum, and after they're thrown away).

Posted by: csdiego | January 6, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

go for it if the money is going to be put to a gr8 use and not pad the state's pocketbook

Posted by: JeroRobson1 | January 6, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I told you guys in several of my post,
Martyland Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't like.

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | January 6, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse